Rounds and Turns have me confused. I think.

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
nightstorm
Red Cap

Rounds and Turns have me confused. I think.

Post by nightstorm »

So this game is a simplified d20(with primes and secondary thrown in). But as I was looking over the rules section I noticed this:

SHIELD, Level 1 wizard
CT 1 R see below D 1 tn/lvl.
SV n/a SR no Comp V, S

Now by this time I have played this game on and off for about three years. This showed me that there are differences in the rules from d20 that I did not know were there. I guess I've been playing it so long with my own knowledge of d20.

I read it and it says Duration one TURN a level. Correct me if I didn't read the book right.

Instead of turn the term Action is used.
A round is still the time it takes for everyone to take a action.
A TURN is when Six consecutive rounds have taken place.

Why the change??? Everyone who has ever played even just board games understands what a turn is. Why change it?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Rounds and Turns have me confused. I think.

Post by Arduin »

A round is 10 seconds. One Turn is 6 Rounds (1 minute).

It wasn't really "changed". AD&D, (since '78) defined a "turn" as multiples of a "round". AD&D 1st Ed had 1 minute Rounds and 10 Rounds to a Turn. So, C&C is very much in keeping with that tradition.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

nightstorm
Red Cap

Post by nightstorm »

All the more reason for the confusion. Again it's. D20 based and it would be less confusing to do it the d20 way.

RTet Wu

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Everybody has likes and dislikes about the d20 version. This just sounds like the author disliked the current turn/round of d20 and put in something he liked better. For better or worse.

Personally I don't see it as a big deal.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

nightstorm wrote: D20 based and it would be less confusing to do it the d20 way.

RTet Wu
No, I played RPGs with those time increments before "D20" came out. It SEEMS D20 to you, probably because of your age range... AD&D had 6 second "segments". So, it originated with that game.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Heck, when they got rid of turns I thought it was stupid. Still, I don't know why they decided to redefine turns to 6 rounds (1 Minute), rather than keeping it at 10 minutes. Maybe they were concerned about it being used as copyright violation.

Plus maybe new people get confused, but when I am told, "Your spell lasts 1 turn per level." I don't confuse it with, "It's your turn."
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

nightstorm wrote:So this game is a simplified d20(with primes and secondary thrown in).
No. No it is not. That is the problem with your entire position. Faulty premise leads to false conclusion.

C&C is a game derived using the OGL. That is its only relationship to d20.

It is as d20 as Traveller is Gangbusters.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Unlearn what you have learned or confuse you it will. d20 isn't going to help you here, and as you're finding out, can actually be a hindrance. Case in point: maze.

In d20 you could sit there in the maze, do nothing for ten minutes, then get dumped out. With the fifth printing the escape clause was removed, returning maze to its AD&D roots. Now, you have to navigate the maze to get out.

d20 knowledge is a hindrance because of the expectation that little has changed, when in fact a great deal has.