What have you added to your C&C?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

What have you added to your C&C?

Post by Treebore »

Its been a long time since I have seen this discussed, so thought it might be time to bring it up again.

So what have you added on to, or changed, in your C&C games?

Last time this was discussed I think most of mine were already there. Since the beginning I have used the SIEGE engine to allow for the players to do things that Feats usually allow for in other games. For example, if the mage wants to maximize the damage of the Magic Missile, Fireball, Cone of Cold, etc... they are about to cast, I allow them to do so with a SIEGE check. I have set the CL at spell level+3. If the fighter type has taken down an enemy and thinks they should be able to get a swing at the enemy next to the now dead one, they roll a SIEGE check, CL=to HD of opponent. If they succeed, they get to roll an extra attack.

C&C does not have item/armor stacking rules, so I have stolen them from 3E D&D. So no Bracer, Full Plate, Ring of Protection, Cloak of Protection, Natural Armor wearing AC's of 45 are in my games.

Polymorph is potentially very abuse-able in C&C, so I adapted lessons learned in the 3E errata to C&C.

I do not like how Teleports are "earned", so I changed it to where you get the ones where you have to draw circles, etc... first, and at higher level is when you can Teleport essentially by just snapping your fingers.

When 4E came out I liked how they gave spell casters a magical attack essentially every round. So I developed my Arcane and Divine Blast rules.

I found the Fighters Combat Dominance to be a complete joke at higher levels, so I came up with "Mass Combat Dominance", so now the Fighter occasionally gets to be a serious bad ass on the battle field. Assuming their dice love them at the time.

I find the Paladins Smite Evil to be somewhat lame, so added an option for the Paladin to have abilities for fighting evil similar to what the Ranger has for fighting humanoids. So now Paladins can chose one or the other.

I allow for thieves to make poisons up to Type III. They can still make Type IV or greater, but no longer get to add level, but they can still benefit from recipes. So it is much more dangerous for them than it is for Assassins.

I gave the Assassin a better BtH progression. Still substantially weaker than the fighter types, but not as weak as the other classes. So now my Assassins tend to be a wee bit deadlier.

I converted/created the Runemark class years ago, but look forward to seeing how the Trolls converted it from D20. I know they made it INT based, where as I made it WIS based. Still bet mine is cooler.

Druids. I give them two paths to follow, Animal, which is by the book, and Elemental, which I stole from a D20 setting book. They both still get the Treant form, because that is how they hold their Great Councils in my games, in Treant form.

I do luck points, but I don't think I do them exactly like other sources, but definitely very similar.

I allow for God Calls. Always have, so still do. Been a few years since I have seen one made, even though they were asking to make them last week, but I wouldn't allow it. God Calls are for saving your lives, not to save you from being defeated and stripped of all your possessions. I'm running the Slave Lord modules.

I use a formula to establish the CL for each type of Poison. Think I may have gotten that from Serleran.

I allow my players to earn "Signature Moves". Basically if they track and earn 25 successful rolls on a "feat like action" in game play they then essentially gain that move as a Feat.

I have seriously changed up how Energy Drains work in my games. Basically I give the players a chance to get back their stolen life force. This has been well received.

I have written up some potion creation rules.

I assume all magic items in my games operate at, as a minimum, the level at which you are required to be to make them. If it contains a spell of a level higher than can be cast by a 9th level Wizard or 12th level Cleric, then it is of the higher level required to cast that spell.

I stole another idea from 3E D&D. Clerics are allowed to "spontaneously" cast any spell that cures ONLY hit points. So they cannot convert Prayer into Cure Disease, etc... Only Cure light, Moderate, Serious, and Critical spells.

Plus they get to add their level to the HP total, but only to the max achievable on the dice themselves. So a Cure Light will never do more than 8 HP.

I also allow Druids to "spontaneously" cast Animal Summoning spells. Another 3E rule I use.

I am sure there are more, but I'd have to read over my house rules document to remind myself.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

BudaZoa
Hlobane Orc

Re: What have you added to your C&C?

Post by BudaZoa »

I have added the backstab and assassination tables from 1ed

I enjoy the 1ed Barbarian class

I play that wizard are able to re-memorize spells from their spell books to regain lost spells (10 minutes/spell level) for that day. This also means at higher levels a wizard exhausting all of their spell in a single day will not be able to re-memorize them all with 1 night of regaining spells. I also use the great netbook of spells. Approved on a spell to spell basis, as many spells are overpowering.

I do use character points, players earn them through exceptional roleplaying. up to 3 points can affect any die roll, one point adds a d6.

I use the 2ed Monster Manual for monsters, xp and treasure types (never had an unballancing in any of my campaigns). I use any and all reasource for magic items, including net tomes

I allow fighters combat dominance to increase the HD/ 4 levels gains. IE: extra attack/ level against 2hd or lower at level 9, 3hd at level 12, ect...

If a paladin waits til higher levels, his mount might be something a lot more worthy than a warhorse if the character is exceptional.

I enjoy how 1ed and 2ed have players goin on quests for magical Item creation: IE a scroll might require certain blood for ink, skin/hide for it to be created on, ect.

I do love the anarchy that a divine intervention can cause by a gods interference, and use the 2ed penalties and bonus' in Legend and Lore based upon individual gods.

I allow just about any weapon for backstab and assassinations (and even some spells)

If a character comes up with an exceptional Background for his/her character , I may allow weapons or alignments generally not allowed for a class.

Rollplaying always earned bonus points in my eyes as a CK/DM, I reward those who use their heads and imagination and penalize the hell outta people who cheat and rely strictly on whats written on their character sheet and dice rolls (a lot of fun makin them miserable while playing, yes it is is usually an attempt to have them quit)
I'd rather be hated for who I am

Than loved for who I am not.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Disregarding any complete game conversions, I have brought back staggered save progression a la AD&D; Prime simply means the save category starts out better (base of 16), and then all classes get +2 / 3 levels for their "good" saves, and +1 / 3 levels for everything else, rather than +1 on everything for all levels. For this, level of the opposition is generally irrelevant or I might apply a penalty in some cases. Similarly, item saves work more in line with the 1st edition DMG.

I use my "everyman" system for skills / abilities anyone should reasonably be expected to do.

I have more in-depth training rules. I do not give XP for levels, but the XP you get can be used to purchase abilities / things, such as a max HD roll.

I use my Creature Crucible to generate new monsters quickly, if I happen to want something completely unexpected. I use my expanded Expert items. I use various magic improvements, namely new spells and magic items.

I disallow barbarian, paladin, and knight as a class. Rogues are called thieves. Monks get the option to gain thief skills.

I will create any class a player wants to play. I will create any race a player wants to play.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I've added a half dozen races and eleven classes

modified the level drain rules

and do not allow assassins or evil alignments to be played.

I also ignore encumberance as given and use weight instead.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I've changed the ranger's prime to wisdom. :D
(But I've left the paladin's prime as charisma)

I'll be incorporating secondary skills and advantages from the CKG. The skills might actually come from the 2e PHB, I haven't decided, yet. I like the CKG list, the only thing I don't like is how it's incorporated, mechanically, in the game. I might go with the 2e list because of that (I want them to be less mechanical).

Class-and-a-half will be standard in my game for multiclassing.

Attributes are determined by rolling 3d6 twelve times, then taking the best 6 and arranging them as desired.

All illusionist healing is gone. That means no First Aid (0-level), Cure Light Wounds (2nd-level), Remove Blindness/Deafness (2nd-level), Cure Serious Wounds (4th-level), Neutralize Poison (5th-level), Cure Critical Wounds (6th-level), Restoration (7th-level), and Heal (9th-level) spells. Blindness/Deafness is still available to illusionists, but Remove is gone.
I've replaced them with Silent Portal (0-level, negates sound from opening door or window), Bravado (think False Life from 3.5, 2nd-level, grants target 1d10 temporary hp, for 1 minute), Whispering Wind (2nd-level, send a message up to 1 mi./level, to a designated spot), Braggadocio (4th-level, grants target 3d10 temporary hp for 1 minute), Tempus Fugit (5th-level, time in affected area passes faster than normal for spell's duration), Grandiloquence (6th-level, grants 5d10 temporary hp for 1 minute), Death Fog (7th-level, as solid fog, but does damage to those in spell effect), and Mass Blindness (9th-level, afflicts blindness in a 20' diameter circle - under 4 HD are blinded, over 4 HD get saves).

I use the surprise rules from 2e AD&D (though that may change with the change to the ranger's prime).

With natural healing, I allow 1d3 points healed per rest, which includes the natural healing of characters at -1 to -6 (after 24 hours). This replaces 1 hp/rest. After 7 days, I allow 1d3 + Con modifier. Then after 14 days, if necessary, it's (1d3 + Con mod.) x 2.

Declaration phase is done before initiative is rolled.

Critical hits and fumbles use tables 17.1A and 17.1B (pg. 251) from the CKG.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

serleran wrote: I disallow ... paladin as a class.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

AGNKim wrote:
I actually kind of agree with Serl, because he has you work to become a Paladin, rather than begin as one.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Treebore wrote:
AGNKim wrote:
I actually kind of agree with Serl, because he has you work to become a Paladin, rather than begin as one.
He said "disallow Paladin as a class" which would mean to me that a player cannot play a Paladin. If the can indeed play a Paladin, but must work towards it, then I kinda like that. But that's not disallowing it as a class.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Semantics aside... a "paladin" in my games is a title. It is bestowed to the worthy and those come from all walks of life. No player can choose to be have their character be one. That character can strive to earn it, but you do not, and cannot, have it as a class -- it's something that changes what you already have. Think of it d20 terms as a template... for classes. It, itself, is not one, but it gives modifiers to everything else.

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

I've taken the "C&C is what AD&D 3e should have been" line and changed things to be more in line with AD&D, in my opinion.

1. Attributes: 4d6, drop the lowest, assign to taste.

2. Classes: Humans limited to 12th level. Human spellcasters may gain spell levels beyond 12th, but not BtH, HP, etc.

3. Demi-humans have class and level restrictions.

4. Demi-humans (and only demi-humans) may multi-class. Only elves and half-elves may triple class.

5. Prime attributes/non-prime attributes are removed. Each class has a prime attribute requirement, which requires a "9" in that attribute. If that attribute is 16+, then the character gets a 10% exp bonus.

6. If a demi-human has an 18 in their classes prime attribute, then they may increase their level limit in that class by 1 level.

7. The SIEGE Engine (tm) is replaced with a standard DC15 check. Challenge classes are kept as-is for modifiers. Basically it is the SIEGE Engine with a flat challenge base of 15, with no primes/non-primes.

8. Encumbrance is changed. EV's are ditched for straight weight. Str modifier -3 means your ER is 0. Str modifier -2 means your ER is 10 lbs. Str modifier -1 means your ER is 20 lbs. Str modifier +0 means your ER is 35 lbs. Str modifier +1 means your ER is 50 lbs. Str. modifier +2 means your ER is 75 lbs. Str modifier +3 means your ER is 100 lbs. up to ER x1 is unencumbered. Up to ER x2 is moderate. Up to ER x3 is heavy. Up to ER x4 is overburdened.

9. I've reinstated alignment requirements. Rangers must be good. Assassins must be not-good. Monks must be lawful. Bards must be non-lawful. Barbarians must be non-lawful. Knights must be lawful.

10. Natural 1 is a miss, Natural 20 is a crit. Max damage.

11. Max HP at 1st level.

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

I have a binder of house rules. None of them are set in stone changes to the core. When I start up a game I choose a few to enhance the feel I'm going for.

Like using epic6, no one advances beyond level 6. To keep the game low powered.

To keep the feel of a setting I may restrict a class or two.

Use Gritty6 for truly low level gritty settings.

I have used Jason Vey's traits systems(used in Amazing Adventures).

More than once I have thrown every one a single feat or a few feats from 3E.

In one game I set Hit points by race rather than Class.

I experimented with using Palladium rpg style armor rules. Went over really well.

There is a very good chance here in the future I will use Amazing Adventures spell casting rules.

I dont think of any of these as pertinent changes.
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

Gundoggy
Ungern

Post by Gundoggy »

1. Tertiary abilities: as per CKG
Humans 3 at 12, 2 at 15, 1 at 18. Demihumans 2 at 12, 2 at 15, 2 at 18

2. For saving throws, allow full level bonus for saver. Divide attacker’s spell level/hit dice by ½. (I'm thinking about reducing the saver's level bonus to 75% of actual level)

3. For knights, rangers, barbarians, monks with weapons, paladins allow choice of 2 attacks every 2nd round at -2/-2 penalty to hit starting level 7. Fighters can choose to hit 2 attacks every 2nd round at -2/-2 at level 6. (they can choose 1 attack at full BTH or the increased rate at a penalty)

Fighters get 2 attacks at full BTH at level 10. Other fighting classes get choice of 2 attacks at -2/-2 per round at level 13 (once again they can choose single attack at full BTH)

Revised Fighter BTH table
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 11 12 12

16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
13 13 14 14 15 15 16 16 17

Revised Ranger/Barbarian/Knight/Paladin/Bard/Monk BTH table
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
0 1 2 3 4 5 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 11 12

16 17 18 19 20 22 22 23 24
12 13 13 14 14 14 15 15 15
(My revised tables helps to slow down the 'Hit bonus inflation'. I got the idea from Swords and Wizardry but relaxed it a bit...that book tops out at +13 at level 20 for fighters. I also use the +0 at level 1 for fighters for a more 1E feel, then penalize other fighting classes at level 7 so fighter pulls ahead.)

4. Thieves and Assassins. In a combat…ONCE per opponent, do a dex check, with target number equal to 15 + hit dice of opponent. You can add your level and dex modifier. If you succeed, you may do a sneak attack on him at +2 to hit/+4 to damage. This gives them a chance...once per opponent to increase chance to hit without messing with the BTH table.

5. Spell casters will get copy of ‘revised spell list’ with some spells from 1E. This will increase variety of spells. Basically use spell list from Unearthed Arcana...spell level from C&C takes precedence of course.

6. Assassins at level 3 gains open locks at a -3 penalty.

7. I freely use monsters from 1E MM, MM2, FF and ...Hackmaster Hacklopedia!!! I love all the monsters/subtypes/and new types of demons!!!

8. Magic items from 1E DMG and UA.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Just a few off the top of my head.

1. I use the "Big Purple" rule from Jeff's Game Blog. One time a session a player can choose to substitute a d30 for any dice roll.

2. a 20 on d20 is auto-success and a 1 on a d20 is an auto-fail. I like using the Paizo Critical Hits and Critical Fumble decks. I just interpret the results on the fly.

3. I'll either use the Dork20 (2 to 4 cards each) deck or hero points.

4. I'm on the fence with Initiative. RAW IIRC is a d10 every round, but set initiative is less work.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I have a bunch of house rules we either use, or don't depending on the campaign. Right now I'm in the midst of my Advanced C&C campaign which uses all the rules found in my sig link.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Here's some additional rules that we are playing with.

Bows & Arrows
>Expert craft and magical bows generally only add their bonuses to hit, and not to damage.
>Expert craft and magical arrows only add their bonuses to damage, and never to hit.
>Certain types of bow and arrows can add to range as well as what is described here.

Pull Weight: Expertly crafted bows can add a damage bonus based on the pull weight of the bow. This pull weight is tailored to the strength of the user. See page 257 of the CKG for more information on this topic. These types of bows are exceptionally well made and quite rare. They also command exorbitant prices. The price of these types of bows are detailed below:
>Normal x1 cost modifier... [No REQ. No DB]
>Easy x10... [8-12 STR REQ., +1 DB]
>Difficult x25... [13-15 STR REQ., +2 DB]
>Hard x50... [16-17 STR REQ., +3 DB]
>Extraordinary x100... [18+ STR REQ., +4 DB]

Natural 20 To-Hit in Combat
Unless the character selects the relevant Weapon Mastery ability, there is usually no benefit to rolling a natural 20 for melee/ranged combat attack rolls, other than the natural 20 is always a hit regardless of the armor class as per the standard AC&C rules.

In the Bard's Gate/Rappan Athuk Reborn campaign, rolling a "natural 20" also causes additional damage. The additional damage caused is determined by the type of die the weapon does for damage summarized on the following chart:
1d1/1d2 adds +0 additional damage
1d3/1d4 adds +1 additional damage
1d6/1d8 adds +2 additional damage
1d10/1d12 adds +3 additional damage

When a weapon does multiple dice of damage, say 2d4, the additional damage added for rolling a natural 20 is multiplied by the number of dice of weapon damage. For a weapon that does 2d4, the additional damage would be +2 (1+1). If a weapon does 3d4 damage, the additional damage would be +3 (1+1+1). If a weapon does 3d6 damage, the additional damage for rolling a natural 20 would be +6 (+2+2+2).

Rate of Fire (Bow Fire)
As per the CKG, but the listed ROF is limited by the level of the PC firing the bow. 1st level equals a maximum of 1 bow shot per round. 2nd level equals a maximum of 2 bow shots per round. 3rd level equals a maximum of 3 bow shots per round. 4th level equals a maximum of 4 shots per round. 4 bow shots per round is the maximum ROF.
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

I'm not sure if we're making a distinction between "additions" to C&C and mere house rules, but I want to play, so here we go. :)

I wouldn't say I have any serious additions. I don't have new races, classes, etc.

I keep my house rules fairly minimal - mostly just tweaking rather than whole big changes. Here are the major ones:

• The following changes to classes are in effect:
o Rangers must be of good alignment.
o The barbarian can hold his breath twice as long as stated under Primeval Instincts.
o Rogues and Assassins use Intelligence (instead of Wisdom) for the Listen class skill.
o Rogues have the following new class skill: Case Premises (Intelligence): after 1d3x10 minutes of observation, the Rogue gains valuable Intel about the area (e.g., security, structural weaknesses, etc.).
o Assassins use Intelligence (instead of Wisdom) for the Case Target class skill.
o Assassins now have the (Rogue’s) Open Locks class skill.
• Magic does not require the use of material components unless the GM says otherwise.
• Illusionist versions of spells do not work any differently than that of any other class; ignore any differences stated in the PHB under any particular spell description.
• All spell clarifications on page 46 of the CKG are in effect
• Characters may not attempt actions that fall under another class’ abilities. However, characters may attempt simple, non-professional, qualitatively inferior analogs to some class abilities when common sense (and the CK’s discretion) so dictate.
o For example, a fighter cannot pick pockets or disarm traps; such actions require professional knowledge and skill (i.e., class ability). However, the fighter could attempt to sneak up on a guard, despite the fact that such actions fall under the rogue’s and assassin’s Move Silently class ability; common sense dictates that anyone can simply try to be quiet. The difference is that the rogue and assassin make literally no sound, whereas the fighter moves relatively quietly, but still makes some noise, and so might be heard by a creature with enhanced hearing or an alert guard that makes a WIS check.
• SIEGE checks for perception (noticing, listening, etc.) are not always based on WIS; depending on the situation; INT or CHA may be used instead, at the GM’s discretion.
• Characters may move up to their base movement rate and attack normally.
• No single attack ever reduces a character’s hit points to less than zero. A character sustaining more damage from a single attack than the hit points he has left is reduced to zero hit points and is bleeding out, losing one hit point per round. Additional attacks against a character with zero or fewer hit points do normal damage (and so will kill the character if it reduces his hit points to -10 or lower).
• After a combat encounter, as long as a character has more than zero hit points and has a few minutes to bandage wounds, etc., half of the damage from that encounter is recovered.
• Magical healing can raise a character’s hit points to greater than zero.
• A natural 20 on an attack roll is an automatic hit, and does max plus 1d4 damage.
• A natural 1 on an attack roll is an automatic miss and a possible fumble (roll 1d20: 1-5 = damage self 1d8, 6-10 = damage self 1d4, 11-15 = lose next turn, 16-20 = no fumble).
• A natural 20 on a siege check (excluding saves) is an automatic (and possibly dramatic) success.
• A natural 1 on a siege check (excluding saves) is an automatic (and possibly dramatic) failure.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I have missed some changes I have done. IF anyone wants to see everything I have done my house rules are always on the first page of my on line game threads. So just go to the online gaming forum and find one of my game threads to find my house rules document.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I've added nearly nothing, more rulings than rules. I would allow, but haven't had anyone yet play, an Archer from various sources, Go0gleplex or the Companion. I've tried to shoehorn Fighters, Rangers, Thieves, and even Monks into decent archers, and they sort of work, but they don't really get the support they need. If you can accept the idea of an underground sharpshooter, which you certainly can be excused for dismissing.

I think many of the above house rules are fine things and seem like they'd work fine. I guess I value being able to hand someone the PHB and say, these are the rules, if you follow these, we'll all be in agreement. If I made up a nice house rules document, it might function in the same way. I often think of just making up race and class books with a combat outline, and a list of 1st level spells for spellcasters, and just handing those to players; then they will see there really aren't so many rules to remember.

Another thing is my group has some people who are very comfortable with coming up with ingenious juxtapositions of rules in order to create game-killing effects, and it only gets worse when I pile my half-baked ideas on top. If I had a group that shared my values I think I'd feel a lot more free to explore these changes.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote: I disallow barbarian, paladin, and knight as a class.
serleran wrote:I will create any class a player wants to play.
Not sure if I understand that.... :|
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:
serleran wrote: I disallow barbarian, paladin, and knight as a class.
serleran wrote:I will create any class a player wants to play.
Not sure if I understand that.... :|

Serl treats them as a status, not a class. So you can be many other classes and also have the status of Barbarian, Knight or Paladin, which do have some in game effects.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

serleran wrote: I will create any class a player wants to play. I will create any race a player wants to play.
Do your players ever ask to play stupid races and classes? I guess I mean, combinations that make no sense with the campaign setting as it stands and will necessarily change the tenor of the game and the relationships between the existing players. Or does Darwin just take care of the outliers?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Sure, they ask me to play some weird combinations or things I have to somehow stomp into making "sense," but I find those characters don't tend to make it very long as they have little help from the greater population. Maybe one of the weirder characters in the game was a half-gargoyle (during the day, the character was a human) cleric of the Rock (the Deity that all galeb-duhr worship.) Maybe that's not so unusual... at least, not after I stopped reading d20 forums. Heh.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I've never had anyone ask for a custom class. I guess it would be interesting to do. I think most of my players (and myself, too) try to fit their concept into the available classes in a game. I think GURPS would kill them. :P
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lord Dynel wrote:I've never had anyone ask for a custom class. I guess it would be interesting to do. I think most of my players (and myself, too) try to fit their concept into the available classes in a game. I think GURPS would kill them. :P

I'm finding the Class and a Half rules being very helpful in filling in those concepts a lot easier with the classes we already have.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

It seems to me I remember that the there was a Troll Lords offer for a C&C PHB special printing where they'd add a section for your house rules. Was that for realz or and if so did any you guys take advantage of it and what are your thoughts now?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

TheMetal1 wrote:It seems to me I remember that the there was a Troll Lords offer for a C&C PHB special printing where they'd add a section for your house rules. Was that for realz or and if so did any you guys take advantage of it and what are your thoughts now?

It was for real, and I didn't do it because I knew I was not done with my house rules. I was right. As I run my games, and play, the less common situations come up, and that is what leads to a lot of my house rules. I would say I have easily added two pages worth of house rules since that offer was made.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I had hoped there would be an option to add to M&T as I wanted to get my Crucible bound into its pages, but it ended up being 1) too long, and 2) not an option. :(

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

You know, having your house rules so thoroughly written out sure does pay off when you have a new player coming in.

How do you generate attributes? Copy/paste answer.

How do your do hit points? Copy/paste answer.

Can I multi class? Copy/paste answer.

What about gear? Copy/paste answer.

Not to mention having one of your old players creating a new character.

How did we do attributes? Copy/paste answer.

How did we do hit points? Copy/paste answer.

and so on...

Falinor
Mist Elf

Post by Falinor »

I keep a document with all house rules and print out a copy for each player:
* Additional skills similar to 3E or Pathfinder, but nothing that infringes on another Class' abilities.
* Spell points for casters
* No spell components
* Custom critical and fumble rules.
* Luck points
Baron Falinor of Cherokee, Empire State of the South.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, considering it has been over 2 years sense I gamed, and I can’t remember the last time I ran a game … I can’t say I have added anything to my game. That said, what I plan to add once I do get to run my homebrew (well if I get to)

Racial classes – 3ish Elf, & 2 dwarf subraces, and Halflings. I’m not sure on gnomes.

Having some special human subraces - high-human based on Tolkien’s Numenoreans mixed with Greek/Roman and Norman influences, a horse lords type mixed from Rohan, Avar, and Carolingian, and one or 2 other subraces.

With the races being a class, all characters getting 3 primes.

Luck/fate points

Magic points instead of fire & forget spells

Schools of magic &/or spell paths (for MU with an IT of 14-16)

Adding fighting styles (based off a “Crusader” article)

Modifying the classes (I’m getting a lot of ideas from Serl’s conversions)

Adding the Archer, gallowglass, swashbuckler classes (plus others I haven’t ironed out)

Changing the “knight” to the cavalier – A knight is a title, anyone (well up to a point) can earn. The cavalier is specifically trained as the mounted tanks and leader of knights.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society