Create Water Spell

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Gribble
Ungern

Create Water Spell

Post by Gribble »

1 cubic foot of water contains roughly 8 gallons and weighs 65 pounds! Huh!?! 8 gallons in 1 cubic foot seems like a lot doesn't it?

Metathiax
Red Cap

Post by Metathiax »

I made the calculation assuming a 1 g/mL density (which is true at 4oC) and obtained around 56.6 pounds. This equates to approximately 7.5 gallons unless other unit definitions are used. So I guess it is accurate enough for a RPG. When are you guys going to quit using these insane units, metric system anyone?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

This is an accurate estimation.

.............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Veritas
Ungern

Post by Veritas »

Metathiax wrote:
When are you guys going to quit using these insane units, metric system anyone?

Having moved from Canada to the US two years ago, I miss the metric system. Thankfully my car only has kms on the speedometer and oC on the console, so I get a taste of it every day (I convert to miles on the fly).

Still, think of how large your gas tank is. Mine holds around 12 gallons (I believe), and I drive a Mini Cooper... so it can't be too large or there wouldn't be room for anything else in the car.

johns
Red Cap

Post by johns »

Metric ... Bah! My car gets 20 rods to the hogshead, and that's how I like it.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I think someone is missing a factor in their calculations. 1 cubic foot doesn't hold 8 gallons of water. I know salt water weighs roughly 8 pounds per gallon, so 7.5 pounds per gallon for drinking water is accurate enough, but a 1 foot cubed might hold 2 gallons.

Guess I will go look it up to make sure I'm not being an idiot.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

OK, you guys were right, or close enough. 7.5 gallons of water per cubic foot.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Gribble
Ungern

Post by Gribble »

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines as you Tree, used to lug 5 gallon jerry cans around quite a bit in the Army, didn't seem 1 cubic foot was that big...escpecially thinking in terms of gallon milk jugs.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm still not truly convinced, but if its good enough for the Bureau of Land and Water Management, its good enough for me.

Metathiax
Red Cap

Post by Metathiax »

Quote:
I'm still not truly convinced, but if its good enough for the Bureau of Land and Water Management, its good enough for me.

Surprising isn't it? Guessing volumes is harder than we might think.

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

I am playing a cleric in Steve's game. In a moment of desperation in which the oarty was surrounded and beset by 40 orcs with few hit points left, I cast create water in the throat of the orc leader.

Alas, it did not work as Mac informed me 0 level spells can not do harm - as a primary effect so the spell went awry and the water spilled down his face. Enough to confuse him for one round and cause him to pull back from combat for a bit.

Then the slaughter ensued.

We managed to get away only to be attacked again later.

davis

johns
Red Cap

Post by johns »

I would have cast it at the crotch of his pants. Sure, he'll kill every last one of you, but all day long he's going to be hearing "Dude, did you wet yourself?" If you can't beat them, embarrass them.

BASH MAN
Red Cap

Post by BASH MAN »

Well a cubic foot of water is about 30 centimeters to a side, or more exactly,

28.31 liters, roughly 7 gallons.

1 Liter weighs 2.2 lbs.

28.31 liters weighs 62.28 Lbs for a cubic foot of water.

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Since C&C weakened the (as in, made it easier) ability to create holy water (earlier versions required two casters, of the same faith, and at least of 3rd level, each casting bless simultaneously), this spell can prove insanely potent.

irda ranger
Red Cap

Re: Create Water Spell

Post by irda ranger »

Gribble wrote:
1 cubic foot of water contains roughly 8 gallons and weighs 65 pounds! Huh!?! 8 gallons in 1 cubic foot seems like a lot doesn't it?

1 (cubic foot) = 7.48051945 US gallons

1 gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs

7.48051945 * 8.34 lbs = 62.3875322 lbs

All hail the Google Calculator.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I just looked it up on the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) website. They have a great website for info like that. I used it a lot back when I used to work for other people.