Dwarves vs Encumbrance

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Veritas
Ungern

Dwarves vs Encumbrance

Post by Veritas »

Has anyone included the idea from 3.5e where dwarves aren't as affected by encumbrance as other races... at least with respect to movement penalties? Maybe movement penalties only start at 1/4 when they reach "heavy burden"? 3.5e would go so far as to make it "overburdened", but I think that'd be too far.

Or how about giving a racial bonus to ER? Like, maybe they get double the bonus for having Con as a prime? Thus, a dwarf fighter with 18 str and primes for Str and Con would have an ER of 25 instead of 17.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

A racial bonus to ER, that is a good idea. I never thought about this before. I think it might make sense.

......................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

phadeout
Red Cap

Post by phadeout »

I give dwarves a +2 to their ER in my games. So to answer your first question, yes, *raises hand* I modified dwarves to be able to carry more. It makes sense! Though, I also made a few other modifiers to them too, to make them more like your typical 2E+3E dwarf.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

phadeout wrote:
I give dwarves a +2 to their ER in my games. So to answer your first question, yes, *raises hand* I modified dwarves to be able to carry more. It makes sense! Though, I also made a few other modifiers to them too, to make them more like your typical 2E+3E dwarf.

I like this idea.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If I were using encumbrance, I'd not give them a bonus to the value, but to when it actually affects them. For example, I'd say that dwarfs ignore the penalties for light and medium encumbrance. They are still limited in what, and how much, they can carry... but the effort of doing so is not as harmful to them.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

serleran wrote:
If I were using encumbrance, I'd not give them a bonus to the value, but to when it actually affects them. For example, I'd say that dwarfs ignore the penalties for light and medium encumbrance. They are still limited in what, and how much, they can carry... but the effort of doing so is not as harmful to them.

I agree with Serl. If I was using enc, I'd go with this.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Tis not a bad idea either. Almost like the dwarf is always "one-step" less on the encumbrance effects table. Hmm...

............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

phadeout
Red Cap

Post by phadeout »

Omote wrote:
Tis not a bad idea either. Almost like the dwarf is always "one-step" less on the encumbrance effects table. Hmm...

............................................Omote

FPQ

I wouldn't go with one less "step", they just ignore Light. So if they hit the medium level, they still have Medium encumbrance.

Veritas
Ungern

Post by Veritas »

serleran wrote:

Yeah, that was the first idea I'd suggested in the OP... in line with how d20D&D does it. So the penalties would only start at "heavy burden".