Character Death - The First Time!

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Lobo316
Ulthal

Character Death - The First Time!

Post by Lobo316 »

What monster did your first character in? Place share, really curious. What did you in for the first time? What's the first monsters to send your early, inexperienced cannon fodder to pushin' daisies? heh, heh!

For me, if memory serves, it was one of those flying dinosuar things on the Isle of Dread (yea, he shouldn't have been there), but it could have been something else I'm not remembering.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Re: Character Death - The First Time!

Post by CKDad »

Oh geez. I have no idea. It would have been back in 1978 or '79, when I was in 9th grade; a friend had the Blue Box basic set and we played a few games with it. I seem to recall that we played with a dungeon that came with the box set, and that something in the dungeon did my first character - a thief, maybe? - in. I want to say it was a gelatinous cube - those seemed to show up everywhere, and man were they nasty!
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I've GMed waaaay more than actually being a player. I have no idea what killed my character in my first exposure to D&D. Though I do have many fond memories of characters, I've GMed, and their ultimate demise. :twisted:
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

Almost all my early gaming was as GM. When I started playing in college, my first character was snuffed out by a black pudding. Poor thief. The only reason he ran into the pudding was because the party was incapable of making forward progress, so I took matters into my own hands and led the way. (Stupid thing to do.)

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

My first foray was into a mammoth place called Castle Misbegotten built atop Wolf Mountain, itself a mega-dungeon. My here braved many fierce goblins and kobolds before round a corner, ending in the maw of a wandering owlbear. (I didn't have a prayer of running before he took my surprised butt out.) ;)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

House cat. Level 3 magic-user, with a 6 Con and 3 HP. Ran out of useful spells, and was playing with the thing using cantrips... until I sidestepped onto its tail during a somatic component and bruised its ego. Claw, claw, bite later and my little Rufey the Rub Red was dead.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Barbed Devil...

My first D&D game (3LBB) was the Dragon adventure "The Mansion of Mad Professor Ludlow", the players are all boy scouts (level 1 Fighters) on a campout that hear a woman screaming in a rickety old mansion... Second level the Barb'y got me. Luckily there was a ring of 1 wish in a concealed chest that was used to bring me back, unluckily it also introduced us rookies to how a DM can twist a wish, I was a zombie...

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

A pit trap. Just a lousy, stinkin' pit. I was the Charlie Brown of fighters. ("I got a rock.")
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Both my first characters died in my first adventure, this was 1979 in middle school. Zorro the Dwarf Fighter went down in a room full of berserkers about half way through the dungeon. Then sadly Ozar the human thief died when leaving the dungeon, there was "merchant" who was held captive that the party failed to release who turned out to be a 3rd level fighter. Well he was waiting at the exit to get even with us, at the point the party was only 1 Elven Fighter, 1 Human Thief and 1 human wizard. After a nasty fight only the human wizard was left, he ended up with all the gold, all the xp and al the magic. The rest of us got to roll up new character, Zorro II and Ozar II, they lived on into high level. :)

-Mike

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:A pit trap. Just a lousy, stinkin' pit. I was the Charlie Brown of fighters. ("I got a rock.")
LOL! That's the best one!

Ieuane
Ungern

Post by Ieuane »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:A pit trap. Just a lousy, stinkin' pit. I was the Charlie Brown of fighters. ("I got a rock.")
That's good. I think mine was a troll. We had no concept of 1st level characters to monster challenge equivalency. ;) I remember (early 80s) with the red box our characters died left and right, we went through those green sheets like crazy. A buddy of mine went through four of five "Skulldors" before he made it to 2nd level. Although my first AD&D character, an assassin, never died. Know idea how.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

The dreaded transparent Cube. Ran into room as a brazen (stupid) fighter and GLOOP!
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

I was playing the Keep on the Borderlands ( 1st character and 1st time playing), went into the bar and someone picked a fight with me. Of course it was a guy with a flaming sword ! I lasted two rounds.

IMP

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

For my first character death, I was playing a first level MU in an evil party (I didn’t know they were evil). We were in a random dungeon and stumbled into a group of orcs. I used my lowly 3 spells to take out the shaman and injure the war party leader. Then I said, “I’m out of spells, what do you need me to do now?” They looked at each other, laughed and said something like “keep them busy”. They then picked me up and threw me into the middle of the orc war band … After a few more times with that group, I learned to avoid playing with “evil” groups at all costs (especially as I leaned toward Paladins etc). By the way, this is one reason I still after over25 years dislike playing MU characters …

For my first death of a “real character” – one I had put a little time and energy into developing and enjoyed playing (as opposed to the above mentioned characters that died at the hands of the other evil party members). He was a Paladin and the party was in a swamp after raiding a witch’s hut and running for our lives to cross a bridge to make it to higher dry land (and relative safety). The witch had called for help from a hag and it had been ambushing us all throughout the swamp. I decided to hold off the hag while the party made it to the other side of the bridge (and then hopefully cover me as I ran across the bridge). I was actually doing well in fighting the hag, and she decided to fall back. Unfortunately, the party and I didn’t notice the troll coming out from the swamp under it’s bridge. A surprise back attack with claw claw bite after fighting a hag is a BAD thing! The worse part of it was the DM’s laughter at us not thinking about it being a “troll bridge”. It was bad enough dying after an epic fight, but to die from a pun … :( :lol:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

JesterOC
Henchman

Post by JesterOC »

Killed by a PC, who had built his own custom race of character (a four armed freak). My character tried to stop him from casting a spell (because he was always overly aggressive), and was killed for it. You would think that it would be teenage kid doing this but no, we were in our mid to late twenties.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Hmm, the first time one of my character's died was in BECMI, either late 1987/early 1988. I was playing multiple characters because it was just me and a friend. My guys were somewhere in the 5th-7th range and they were sent to find out what was up with some missing farmers. We found it all right - a Devil Swine (one of my favorite BECMI monsters, by the way :D). He took the cleric out first, but my other guys were able to defeat it. Good times.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

My first PC death was actually recently, about two years ago, in a Labyrinth Lord game. He was a 1st level human wizard who was doing pretty good up untill that point. Some kobolds won initiative on our group and one of them rolled a critical hit. Poor Vladimir was no more. I was quite bummed, but there was an upside. The next character I rolled up, Brovus Ironshield, a Dwarven fighter, became one of my all-time favorites.
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

A white dragon. One of my favorite characters, an Elf (class) is now a Popsicle in a dungeon. :lol:
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Lobo316 wrote:What monster did your first character in? Place share, really curious. What did you in for the first time? What's the first monsters to send your early, inexperienced cannon fodder to pushin' daisies? heh, heh!
My first PC, a fighter, never died. I put him aside after one adventure to try playing a spellcaster and never went back to the buckethead. :lol:
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Mine was a cleric in the Caves of Chaos in B2-The Keep on the Borderlands.

It was my first exposure to D&D, it was 1980 and I was eleven. I still remember thinking that this strange "cleric-thing" was like the pixie illustration on the old Pixie Sticks. :lol:

My friend, even at this early stage, was the typical killer DM. He had my lone cleric poke around the Caves. He died by goblin hands. Word to the wise, "Bree-yark" does not mean "I surrender!" ;)
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Demiurge
Red Cap

Post by Demiurge »

The ogre in B2.
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

Volomyre
Ungern

Post by Volomyre »

I am pretty sure that for me it was the Hobgoblin Chieftain in B2. I am also pretty sure that he got 2 more chr.s after that.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

The first one that really sticks out in my mind was a 3.5 druid I ran. He had a run-in with a bearded devil. It didn't turn out well. He was a special build that focused more on shapeshifting than on other druid abilities. Cool concept...lousy execution. Although the execution itself was pretty spectacular. :twisted:

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

I'm pretty sure I had one before this, but the one I remember most was a priest of mine (3.5) who was one of the last two remaining party members in a homebrew high-level dungeon. As he and his friend, an air genasi, were trying to escape a pair of vampiric mind-flayers (lich might have been in there somewhere too. And no, I don't know how that worked. I was actually pretty new to 3.5 at the time. :mrgreen: ) they ran headlong into a marilith and her brood of gated demons.

The priest had no worthwhile spells. But he told the air genasi to fly and escape, and he would hold the demons back. And as she began to escape, he looked at the demons and yelled out to his god (I wanna say it was Sekhmet) to accept his sacrifice and sanctify the ground in his name, to protect those close to him...

...and so saying, he slit his own throat.

It was a beautiful, theatrical moment, and the GM actually went so far as to consecrate the ground his blood spilled onto, so it was totally worth it.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

S.Baldrick
Ungern

Post by S.Baldrick »

Goblins in B1: In Search of the Unknown killed my 1st Level Neutral Elf named Torc. He was my first character. :cry: