starting a group

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
western watcher
Mist Elf

starting a group

Post by western watcher »

I'm trying to start a C&C group in Ft.Smith, but I can't seem to break the D&D, Pathfinder hold on players in the area. I've been a GM since 1981,and I've tried every trick short of paying people to play. If anybody has some ideas please let me know. :?
Scream and charge is not a tactic.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Re: starting a group

Post by Lord Dynel »

My best friend lives in Fort Smith, watcher, but I don't know if he's up for playing any games right now. He and his wife are about to have anew baby, so that might put a damper on any gaming they do.

I would suggest getting into a group, even if it's D&D/Pathfinder. Finding a group can sometimes be the hardest part. Then win their trust. Bring up C&C, and talk about it's merits ("Ah, yeah, I hate that too, about Pathfinder. You know, you don't have that problem in C&C..."). Maybe at some point you get into a position to run a game, and then you ask them to give you three sessions. If they don't like it by then, you'll probably never get them to like it.

That's about all I can advise. I had to sell C&C to my group, too, so I know the difficulties. ;)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I lucked out. Most of my players are from a local comics/gaming store. 18-30 in age. One went back to some 90's 2E and 3.5, the others...a bit of Pathfinder and/or 4E. For whatever reason, they had little preconceived notions or expectations, based on the other systems. We've been going since late September. Our other regular player(34), played some 2E and Gurps 2 and 3. These guys just like to game. They've even bought some of the C&C books. Hope you find some players.

rickyh
Ungern

Post by rickyh »

A couple of things to try:

Put up a flyer with your number and offer to host a 2 hour demo.

Offer a one shot adventure to some of your pals with pregens. I find (personally) the number one reason people don't want to try a new game is not because they utterly adore their current game.It's just they have to learn a new system and character creation (just the thought of it to some people who've not played anything but PF, 3.x 4e) means hours in their minds. Also some people want more customization in their characters. Print out the Crusader's Companion.

But yeah, depending on how much you want to game, if I had problems getting a group together I usually offer to buy pizza (Little Ceaser's has the $5 ready take out pizza) for the "one off" and it usually becomes more than that.

Good luck!
My GM Badges:

western watcher
Mist Elf

Post by western watcher »

Thanks for the advice. I never considered a demo, or serving pizza. I'll give both a try, and let you know how it goes. :)
Scream and charge is not a tactic.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

C&C vets correct if I'm wrong. Didn't GG have input into this game? Might be a point to push in "selling" it?
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

western watcher wrote:Thanks for the advice. I never considered a demo, or serving pizza. I'll give both a try, and let you know how it goes. :)
But assuming it's well received, don't forget to end the night with, "So who's turn is it to supply the food next week?" ;)

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

"Who is turn"? Did you mean "Whose turn?"
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Well, Gary certainly put out his Gygaxian Fantasy books, and Zagyg stuff through TLG in his last years. Sometimes that matters to maybe some if the 30-something players, but more likely the 40+crowd. It can't hurt to mention it. The worst they can say is, "Gary who?".

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:"Who is turn"? Did you mean "Whose turn?"
What, you expect be to be a copy editor or something?

Wait, I am a copy editor... :?

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Just Jeff wrote:

Yikes! Would someone actually copy an editor? :o
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:
Just Jeff wrote:

You'd be amazed. Moral fiber is sorely lacking in the world these days.

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Just Jeff wrote:
MormonYoYoMan wrote:
Just Jeff wrote:

You'd be amazed. Moral fiber is sorely lacking in the world these days.
Ouch! It's GOTTA hurt when they flatten you on a Xerox machine!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet