For those of you using Fate Points

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Lobo316
Ulthal

For those of you using Fate Points

Post by Lobo316 »

For those of you using Fate Points in your games, what's been your experience thus far? How have they impacted your game? Any special rules you use in conjunction with them? Are you using Luck or Hero points as well (or instead of)?

For us, so far after 4 sessions (and one character making it to 2nd level) I have to say they are a very cool mechanic. Very simliar to Action Points in 4e or D20 Modern. They have definately made an impact in the game and been used to save thier bacon on more than one occasion.

I have thought about only rolling 1d3 upon gaining a new level, instead of 1d4 (just to keep them low, I don't want them getting out of control). If your using Fate Points, how are you awarding them?

Are there circumstances where you do not let them be used (say, when surprised)?

One thing we've added to them (that's been pretty fun actually) whenever you roll a 20, you gain a fate point, whenever you roll a 1, you lose a fate point.

Also, we started with them only coming into play on combat rolls, but have expanded them to other rolls as well (like rogues lock picking, etc)...otherwise the up front meatshields were burning through thiers a lot faster, taking more attacks than the guys in the back.

Any insight or thoughts to share from your experiences?

redwullf
Ulthal

Re: For those of you using Fate Points

Post by redwullf »

Howdy,

In my Pathfinder campaign I use Hero Points (same thing, different name). The players really LOVE them, but I've noticed a tendency to hoard (so that they have at least 2 at any given time) in order to "cheat death." That aside, they're a good reward tool and they're used with reasonable regularity.

I've recently added another opportunity, the d30. The d30 serves as a sort of "Light Hero Point" where each player may use the d30 ONCE per session to replace any d20 roll (hits, saves, skill checks, etc). Of course, the d30 does not guarantee success, but it certainly improves the odds.

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Hmmm. I might look into the fate points. I've got the ckg, and should thoroughly read that section. People like the bennies(for rerolling and making vigor roles)in Savage Worlds. Just depends if it makes things too easy for the players. Food for thought.

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

redwullf wrote:Howdy,

In my Pathfinder campaign I use Hero Points (same thing, different name). The players really LOVE them, but I've noticed a tendency to hoard (so that they have at least 2 at any given time) in order to "cheat death." That aside, they're a good reward tool and they're used with reasonable regularity.

I've recently added another opportunity, the d30. The d30 serves as a sort of "Light Hero Point" where each player may use the d30 ONCE per session to replace any d20 roll (hits, saves, skill checks, etc). Of course, the d30 does not guarantee success, but it certainly improves the odds.

That is a really neat idea....i think I will add that as a fate point option, spend a fate point and roll the d30....hmmmmm

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

tylermo wrote:Hmmm. I might look into the fate points. I've got the ckg, and should thoroughly read that section. People like the bennies(for rerolling and making vigor roles)in Savage Worlds. Just depends if it makes things too easy for the players. Food for thought.
I don't think it makes it to easy, but it does give them done control over their own fate...we came SUPER close to a TPK a coulee of sessions ago, despite fate points

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

I use the d30 rule that Jeff Rients developed (at least I think it was he). The players love that rule, and love to argue about when it's the best moment to use the big ball o' fun.

I also use fate points through a system of my own creation (it predates the CKG, and was also borrowed and modified from somewhere online). The players also love this rule, although I find that I was too generous initially and have had to scale back on a couple of fronts.

Initially I awarded d4+1 FP at chargen, and then another d3 or d4 for each level up. Fate points could be expended in this way: 1 FP to reroll any die; 2 FP to achieve automatic success on a roll; and 3 FP to cheat death. In the case of the latter, there would have to be lasting and serious damage (loss of all equipment, meaningful scarring, loss of an eye or something) - enough to hurt, but not enough to render the pc unplayable.

As I said, the players love this, and I've had a couple of PCs cheat death at the lower levels by use of FP. I also find it amusing to watch the different strategies used by the players - a few are hoarders, and will surprise the rest of the group by announcing that they have 5 or 6 FP but still aren't sure that this is the right moment to use one. A few more are users, and are perpetually shy of FP. In fact the two who have cheated death currently have no FP!

I would modify (and have modified) this system slightly, however. I would reduce the amount of FP granted initially to d3, and would grant only d2 FP on leveling up. I would also change the way the FP can be used so as to eliminate the cheat death option. That is, in future campaigns I'll rule that FP can be used to 1) reroll any die, or 2) achieve automatic success.

live and learn, as they say ...

edit: I don't limit where and how FP can be used, except the blanket rule that FP cannot affect the DM's dice.
edit: I use crits and fumbles for 20s and 1s, so would not want to add FP loss/acquisition in that context. In fact, I like the fact that FP are very scarce (only re-emerging at leveling).
edit: I talked about the d30 rule with a friend, who pointed out that it might be 'unbalancing' at higher levels. I can't comment on that very much, as I haven't run a high-level game in ages (my campaigns usually peter out in the mid-levels). But this friend is an experienced 1e DM and he considers that the d30 rule would be too powerful an aid for high level pcs (particularly wrt saving throws).
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Geleg wrote:I use the d30 rule that Jeff Rients developed (at least I think it was he).
Indeed it was Jeff Rients over at Jeff's Game Blog. He included it as part of his Labyrinth Lord house rules. Here is the link to the original post in case you're looking for more ideas:

But to save time here is his rule...
Jeff Rient's house rule wrote: The Big Purple D30 Rule
Once per session each player may opt to roll the Labyrinth Lord’s big purple d30 in lieu of whatever die or dice the situation normally calls for. The choice to roll the big purple D30 must be made before any roll. The d30 cannot be roll for generating character statistics or hit points.
Slightly different take, as you can use it for any type of die.

Shortly after posting that rule, the RPGblog annouced the following:
RPG Blog wrote:"I now declare the Order of the d30. You and Zach are both authorized to go forth and be awesome in the name of the thirty sider."

And hence now we have the order of the d30. Now if you want to be part of the Order of the d30, it's pretty simple. Over at the RPG Corner, it says the following:
RPG Corner wrote:Anyone else who wants to take this coat of arms and post it on their blog, by all means do so. That is the sole requirement for membership in the Order. Your sole duty? Go forth and be awesome in the name of the thirty sider.

Here's the link for reference.

http://shirosrpg.blogspot.com/2008/11/order-of-d30.html
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

I don't use Fate Points in my standard C&C games, but I do in my C&C Conan house game. That game is episodic, with characters gaining 1 level per session, up to 6th level. 7th-9th level is 1 level every 2 sessions. 10th-12th level is 1 level every 5 sessions.

Each session a character has 2+level in Fate Points. Fate Points refresh each session, and cannot be carried over. Only one Fate Point may be used per round per player.

Players may spend Fate Points on several defined actions:
1. Auto success: Prior to rolling, you may spend a Fate Point to declaire an auto success. This acts as a natural 20 roll, and in combat is an auto-hit and does max damage.

2. Mighty Blow: Prior to rolling, you declaire a Mighty Blow. You roll to hit as normal. If you hit, you do DOUBLE max damage. Non-magical, non-masterwork weapons shatter (can be used as an improvised weapon at -4 to hit, d4 damage).

3. Second Wind: If you are above 0 hit points, you may spend 1 Fate Point to regain 1d8 hit points (there is very little magical healing, so this replaces potions and cure spells).

4. Left for Dead: If you are reduced to -10 hit points or less, you may spend 1 Fate Point to be 'left for dead'. You look dead to casual inspection, but are raised to 0 hit points and regain consciousness in 1d6 hours.

5. Destiny: You may spend 1 FP to alter the game world in a minor way (allowing you to know the wench serving you food in the prison dungeon--and her smuggling you in a dagger; etc).

6. Dabbler: A non-sorcerer may spend 1 FP once per session to cast one of a small selection of spells.