Preparing new campaign for 2012 launch

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Preparing new campaign for 2012 launch

Post by Andred of Albans »

I am working on a Fantasy Europe game using the C&C rules with some help from the HR series from TSR and lots of help from the C&S Sourcebook.

I am stealing maps from the Pendragon game and some classes from the Crusader's Companion.

The religious universe will be limited to:
Arian Christianity (Eastern and Northern Europe)
Pelagian or Celtic Christianity (British Isles)
Nicean or Roman Christianity (Southern Europe)
Judaism (anywhere)
Islam (Middle East)
Zoroastrianism (Persia)
Wicca (The Old Religion) (anywhere)
Shamanism (Steppe Nomads/Mongols or humanoids)

I have redacted the spell lists for each religion and figured out the "outer planes"

I figure that I will have to redact the monster list somewhat - there only needs to be one species of Dragon, Goblin, Dwarf and Elf.

I figure the goblins will inhabit the badlands, moors, steppes and/or be nomadic

Where would the Elvish, Dwarf and Halfling realms go in sich a set up?
Visit my

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Re: Preparing new campaign for 2012 launch

Post by CKDad »

I've also used a fantastical Europe as my homebrew setting, though mine is geared more towards the late Roman Empire period (ca. 400 AD or so). My world is heavily influenced by Poul & Karen Anderson's "King of Ys" novels.

The best-developed part of my setting is around modern-day Brittany (the locale of the Ys novels). I have enclaves of elves in the Broceliande forest and in Hivernia (Ireland) - in Hivernia, they contest with humans for dominance. There are dwarven and gnomish settlements in the Black Hills and other mountainous regions; the nearest major dwarven "homeland" are the modern-day Vosges mountains.

Hallfing settlements are most heavily concentrated in the Loire and Rhone valleys, though they can be found almost anywhere in small numbers.

The Seine valley is dominated by orcs, with a mighty stronghold on the site of Chateau Gaillard at Les Andlays. I've sketched out the idea of a city where Paris sits, but I've bounced around just who runs it. Orcs are also strong in the Rhine valley. The mouth of the Seine is still human-held, though.

Lizardmen are resident in the marshy regions of Normandy, particularly the area behind the D-Day beaches. They've been cleared out of much of western Normandy by the Lords of the Rock, who control the fortress situated where Mont St. Michel is.

Hope this gives you some food for thought!
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

CKDad wrote:I've also used a fantastical Europe as my homebrew setting, though mine is geared more towards the late Roman Empire period (ca. 400 AD or so). My world is heavily influenced by Poul & Karen Anderson's "King of Ys" novels.
Good notion - I had forgotten about the King of Ys. I will have to re-read that one.
CKDad wrote:The best-developed part of my setting is around modern-day Brittany (the locale of the Ys novels). I have enclaves of elves in the Broceliande forest and in Hivernia (Ireland)
I will probably set mine in England - where most of my maps are centered.

CKDad wrote: - in Hivernia, they contest with humans for dominance.
That squares with the Elven Companion for C&S, I was looking for ideas where besides Ireland I might set elf-realms.
CKDad wrote:There are dwarven and gnomish settlements in the Black Hills and other mountainous regions; the nearest major dwarven "homeland" are the modern-day Vosges mountains.
The Pennes mountains in Wales, the Alps, the Pyrennes also seem like logical choices.
CKDad wrote:Hallfing settlements are most heavily concentrated in the Loire and Rhone valleys, though they can be found almost anywhere in small numbers.
Makes sense - any analog of the Shire in your campaign?
CKDad wrote:The Seine valley is dominated by orcs, with a mighty stronghold on the site of Chateau Gaillard at Les Andlays. I've sketched out the idea of a city where Paris sits, but I've bounced around just who runs it. Orcs are also strong in the Rhine valley. The mouth of the Seine is still human-held, though.
I like that!
CKDad wrote:Lizardmen are resident in the marshy regions of Normandy, particularly the area behind the D-Day beaches. They've been cleared out of much of western Normandy by the Lords of the Rock, who control the fortress situated where Mont St. Michel is.
Nice. I like it.
CKDad wrote:Hope this gives you some food for thought!
It does, thanks!!
Visit my

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

Hi Andred

Any chance to see your spell lists and outer planes?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Wow, that sounds like a great game world, right up my alley. To bad it isn't going to be a skype game (and even if it was, with my master degree work I have no time to play). Man, you have used some great sources to mine from to get your world!

I've kicked around ideas for my home brew based on this too. My focus was a little later than what you had CKD. I planned up 800-1000AD time frame. I'd have to dig through years of old notes (most of which are in storage) to find where I put what races. However I do remember I had elves in the Black Forest area, and Orcs and goblins fighting it out in the Slavic areas, cutting a wedge between the east and west. Plus, I remember I had the Orcs fill the Hun shoes in my world, and goblins filled in the areas that the empires lost control of when they fell/broke apart.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

stoneshape wrote:Hi Andred

Any chance to see your spell lists and outer planes?
I still have to transcribe the spell lists but here is my current draft of the outer planes - subject to revision
inner planes.png
inner planes.png (33.95 KiB) Viewed 532 times
outer planes.png
outer planes.png (95.78 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Visit my

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

A few thoughts for you Andred:

For elves, I'm thinking there were still some substantial forests in central England at the time; might those be good places for elves? Alternately, a different take might be "elves of the moors" in Devonshire (if I've got my counties right).

East Anglia is known for it's marshes - those might be good places for lizardmen or some other amphibious race.

I don't have a "shire" analogue in my world, in the sense of a semi-isolated realm for the halflings. But their presence in the Loire and Rhone valleys is strong, so that's as close as I come.

You mention the Pyrenees for dwarves - that's actually goblin country. :twisted: There are dwarves in the Alps, but that's contested with the giants among other creatures.

The Isles of Wight and Man have potential to be "weird stuff here" places. :)

Are you familiar with Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles? Great books, and they paint a fantastic picture of England at the time of Alfred the Great, ca. 800 AD if memory serves. Those might be good sources of inspiration.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Those are all great ideas CKDad. I like the basic structure of your campaign. Did you rearrange the political landscape and if so, how?
Visit my

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

I've only laid things out in very broad strokes. The Roman Empire analogue is much contracted at this stage, and never fully conquered Gaul or Germany, nor Britannia (though it did campaign in all of them). The Franks have kinda-sorta been replaced by orcs, with other humanoid races filling the roles of various barbarian tribes.

Spain is a mix of human, demi-human and humanoid enclaves. The Italian peninsula is primarily human with some demi-human citizens of the Empire. The various Mediterranean islands are home to "weird stuff", though that's not really defined.

I've mentioned Hivernia being dominated by the human/elf struggle. Britannia (or Albion) is split between various factions, humans, elven and other demi-humans, with raiders from all over harrassing the coasts.

In Scandinavia you find the Norsemen, and, of course, giants. :twisted: Giants also pop up in other parts of the Continent.

I want there to be something in the Massif Centrale in France, but I haven't figured out just what that is.

Oh, dragons in the high places, and some of the low ones.