Why is the CKG PDF not discounted for the 50% off sale?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Birthright
Hlobane Orc

Why is the CKG PDF not discounted for the 50% off sale?

Post by Birthright »

All titles (but for the CKG) are 50% OFF their regular price. This sale will only for a few days-to a week so be sure to get yours today. This is the perfect chance to stock up on Castles & Crusades PDFs for all your favorite product lines!
:?

AnthonyRoberson
Ungern

Re: Why is the CKG PDF not discounted for the 50% off sale?

Post by AnthonyRoberson »

For real. It's crazy. The book is not really new anymore and considering the PDF still costs MORE than the perfect bound physical book I am just left scratching my head.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

I'm waiting for the PDF to drop to a reasonable price to buy...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

AnthonyRoberson wrote:For real. It's crazy. The book is not really new anymore and considering the PDF still costs MORE than the perfect bound physical book I am just left scratching my head.
Really? Man, I've been one to support higher pdf prices, but more than the physical copy? I can't get behind that.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

AnthonyRoberson
Ungern

Post by AnthonyRoberson »

Sir Ironside wrote:
AnthonyRoberson wrote:For real. It's crazy. The book is not really new anymore and considering the PDF still costs MORE than the perfect bound physical book I am just left scratching my head.
Really? Man, I've been one to support higher pdf prices, but more than the physical copy? I can't get behind that.
It's true unfortunately.

CKG - Perfect Bound -> $29.99
CKG - Digest Version -> $24.99
CKG - PDF -> $31.99

It's a great book and every C&C CK should own a copy. The pricing is just weird...

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

hmmm.
to be more than the perfect bound is probably an oversight or mistake.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Birthright
Hlobane Orc

Post by Birthright »

Relaxo wrote:hmmm.
to be more than the perfect bound is probably an oversight or mistake.
This has been well documented/discussed in the past. The latest oversight/mistake is to exempt the CKG from the 'site wide' 50% off PDF sale. I'm just wondering why the CKG is exempt.

I live in Australia and shipping out here from the US is $20+, so PDF purchases are preferred for me these days. But I just can't pay more for a product that is 'virtual' - having no physical form (a pdf file) than others (i.e. TLG customers in the US) are paying for a harback physical copy of the same thing. No other RPG company that I know of has this pricing philosophy.

I had been waiting for the TLG pdf sale to come about and now I see that the CKG is exempt from the discount. :?

A year or so ago I reimbursed Steve for additional shipping costs after the TLG website checkout underquoted the shipping cost for my order (I paid this after the order had already shipped). I think I paid an extra $12 or so as a sign of good faith. Seems I should have saved the money and put it towards the 'undiscountable' CKG pdf! :|

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

We generally don't discount major items until they have been out for a year. This allows them to make it through the retail market without too much complaint from retailers and from those who paid for the item when it first came out.

The perfect bound pricing is a bit of an exception. That version is not available in stores (only direct). The PDF is based off the version sold to stores.

Of course if stores continue to go under as they have been this whole discussion may be moot.

But never fear, TLG has always worked hard to balance affordability to the Crusader and a sustainable profit margin to keep us doing this. But later this week (maybe tomorrow, check the blog for news), we'll release the CKG in PDF on our own store front. We've been holding off as Brian and I have been trying to fix some problems associated with the store (basically the only solution is updating the software to allow discounts for you guys, but that is going to take a major overhaul). The solutions are time consuming so we'll use our existing store and make changes later.

I'm not sure that all made sense, but news forthcoming.

Steve

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Troll Lord wrote:We generally don't discount major items until they have been out for a year. This allows them to make it through the retail market without too much complaint from retailers
Okay. Channel partner relations makes sense until they sell through their existing stock...

House Rules

Wasgo
Ungern

Post by Wasgo »

So is this still planned for next week?

dadiceguy
Ungern

Post by dadiceguy »

The bundle price for PDFs of the Crusader is kinda wonky right now as well. The two bundles of Crusader #1-#20 is $40. When buying the pdfs individually right now for all 25 $40.

Birthright
Hlobane Orc

Post by Birthright »

Troll Lord wrote:We generally don't discount major items until they have been out for a year. This allows them to make it through the retail market without too much complaint from retailers and from those who paid for the item when it first came out.

The perfect bound pricing is a bit of an exception. That version is not available in stores (only direct). The PDF is based off the version sold to stores.

Of course if stores continue to go under as they have been this whole discussion may be moot.

But never fear, TLG has always worked hard to balance affordability to the Crusader and a sustainable profit margin to keep us doing this. But later this week (maybe tomorrow, check the blog for news), we'll release the CKG in PDF on our own store front. We've been holding off as Brian and I have been trying to fix some problems associated with the store (basically the only solution is updating the software to allow discounts for you guys, but that is going to take a major overhaul). The solutions are time consuming so we'll use our existing store and make changes later.

I'm not sure that all made sense, but news forthcoming.

Steve
Now that even the hard cover CKG is cheaper than the pdf, will TLG be discounting the pdf?

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

We did discount the PDF. Both at RPGnow and Drivethru RPG. Its 20.00.

Check out these links and you'll see the relevant links:

12 Days

Blog.

1st Day is the discounted CKG both Print and PDF.

Thanks,
Steve

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

The bane of having everything (well, almost everything) C&C is that I can't take full advantage of the sales! :evil:

I guess I can check my Christmas list to see if anyone's been nice enough to get some C&C goodies!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Agreed. All these bundles are great but the one or two items I lack are always bundled with 3 or 4 that I already have! Such frustration! ;)
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

Same boat here reguarding bundles...

Too many things i dont want to rebuy to get the couple items i want still..
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

I cracked the pdf this evening, and I've got to say it somewhere, so I figure this is as good a place as any: I love the artwork on page 83. Takes me back (although, you know, mischievous instead of sinister).

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Lord Dynel wrote:The bane of having everything (well, almost everything) C&C is that I can't take full advantage of the sales! :evil:

I guess I can check my Christmas list to see if anyone's been nice enough to get some C&C goodies!
Well now! Santa is in town. What are you missing? We are doing rovign daily sales and maybe we'll get your stocking full after all!

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

mbeacom wrote:Agreed. All these bundles are great but the one or two items I lack are always bundled with 3 or 4 that I already have! Such frustration! ;)
And same to you! What are you missing! Stockings and all that!

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Dead Horse wrote:Same boat here reguarding bundles...

Too many things i dont want to rebuy to get the couple items i want still..
Dead Horse, third time's the charm my momma used to say!

Really gents, I need 15 items to do these roving sales on and I have only 5 listed to do right now. Fill in the blanks!

hah

Steve

Birthright
Hlobane Orc

Post by Birthright »

Troll Lord wrote:We did discount the PDF. Both at RPGnow and Drivethru RPG. Its 20.00.

Check out these links and you'll see the relevant links:

12 Days

Blog.

1st Day is the discounted CKG both Print and PDF.

Thanks,
Steve
Yep, my mistake - I didn't think to look for one off bundles. I only looked at the main CKG listing for a discount.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Same here. The bundles look great, but I own a lot of it. With my divorce and Christmas coming up, I probably won't be buying much, but will be keeping an eye out for the daily sales. I think I'm missing the Walsworth CKG, Malady of Kings, Aihrde maps, the latest chipboard portrait screen, A8, A9, HC Of Gods and Monsters, Engineering Castles, Crusader 25, and Fields of Battle. I think that's most of it(from memory at least). Not to mention almost the entire C&C catalogue on pdf(waaaay too many to mention). It'll be a long time before I build that pdf collection. haha The Christmas bundles look great. What a deal on that CKG print and pdf. Damn. Almost forgot. I've got to get in on that kickstarter Classic Monsters pre-order. Hope it's not too late.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

$20 for CKG. Can't keep hand from taking credit card from wallet...

:)

House Rules

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

And is that a paladin in hell I see? Hmm. It's no Emirikol the Chaotic, but if I squint a little, perhaps.

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

Just Jeff wrote:And is that a paladin in hell I see? Hmm. It's no Emirikol the Chaotic, but if I squint a little, perhaps.
Don't worry, Emirikol gets a nod too!

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

zarathustra wrote:Don't worry, Emirikol gets a nod too!
Oh, that one was quite obvious. I opened the PDF for the first time, skimmed the ToC, and jumped to page 83. It was a wonderful surprise.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Well its not your fault gentlemen! I'm doing something wrong. We sold 2 CKGs late last night at regular price, so people aren't going to the 12 days bundles...probably because they aren't marked, which of course is hard to do with the way it structured!

So time for more adverts blitzing!

:geek:

Thanks!
Steve

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

Santa , i want a pony and ...

I want hardcovers of both the M&ToA ,oGaM.
Engeneering castles.

Is the Towers of adventure out of print? i couldnt find it on your online store yestarday.

Lastly... The New CK screen with the thicker board...the portrait version..any news on that being completed?
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Troll Lord wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:The bane of having everything (well, almost everything) C&C is that I can't take full advantage of the sales! :evil:

Well now! Santa is in town. What are you missing? We are doing rovign daily sales and maybe we'll get your stocking full after all!

Steve

Well, sir, I'm glad you asked. I'll say right now that I don not have the variations of the rulebooks in all their formats (hardcover, softcover, flip book, Complete, etc). I'm mainly talking about "unique product." This is the current list of items I need to complete my collection of C&C products:

Crusader #1 (printed version)
C&C White Box
A9 the Helm of night
Winter Runes
Star Siege - Another Fine Mess

This includes pdf releases (Towers of Adventure pdfs, the "Encounters" pdfs, etc.)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Dead Horse wrote:Santa , i want a pony and ...

I want hardcovers of both the M&ToA ,oGaM.
Engeneering castles.

Is the Towers of adventure out of print? i couldnt find it on your online store yestarday.

Lastly... The New CK screen with the thicker board...the portrait version..any news on that being completed?
A PONY? You already have a dead horse. Its there in your picture. :lol:

Those top two will definitely be in the roster, so look out for them. Towers of Adventures is sold out and I'm not sure about EC! I'm working on the CK screens today and hope to have the final layout done.

Steve