Character Write Ups- From the works of Robert E. Howard

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Character Write Ups- From the works of Robert E. Howard

Post by REHowardfanatic »

These write ups are rough drafts. I am currently rereading much of my Howard collection, so I may update things as I uncover stray facts I have forgotten. Where possible, I did reference AD&D works such as the Red Sonja and Conan adventures, and, of course, Gary Gygax's Conan write up from Dragon Magazine.
However, please note that I do not agree with Fritz Lieber's assessment of Conan as a superhero, even though it is a popular one. I never got that impression from the stories and disagree with it very strongly. Conan was an anti-hero more than anything, and I see him as a realistic character. Thus, my write up presents a Conan who is a powerful character, but within human limits. I think it was Howard's intention to say that Conan was not greater than all other men, but that civilized men were weak and degenerate. They have low stats, he does not possess super stats. Also, I interpret Wisdom as partially instinct and perception. Thus, I switched Conan's INT and WIS stats.

CONAN, the Barbarian
Barbarian 10th/Rogue 5th; CG; XP 687,002
STR 18 (p); BtH +9 (+3 melee and missile)
DEX 18 (p); AC 17
CON 18 (p); HP 84
INT 10
WIS 15
CHA 15
BEA 14
Abilities: 10th level (Combat Sense, Deerstalker, Intimidate, Primeval Instincts, Whirlwind Attack, Primeval Will, Ancestral Calling); 5th level (Back Attack, Cant, Climb, Decipher Script, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Pick Pockets, Traps, Sneak Attack); Secondary Skill (Mariner)
Equipment: Broadsword, long knife, mail shirt, clothing
Notes: Conan never returned to Cimmeria for much of anything. Thus his ancestral calling ability is used to rally roughnecks and other barbarians (mostly desert nomads) to his cause. Though Conan was the son of a blacksmith, there is no real indication that he learned anything of that trade. However, he spent extensive time as a buccaneer. This write up represents Conan about midway through his career, around the time he led the kozaki.

VALERIA, of the Red Brotherhood
Rogue 8th/Fighter 4th; CN; XP: 148, 002
STR 13 (p); BtH +4 (+1 melee and +3 missile)
DEX 18 (p); AC 17
CON 16 (p); HP 66
INT 13
WIS 15
CHA 16
BEA 16
Abilities: 8th level (Back Attack, Cant, Climb, Decipher Script, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Pick Pockets, Traps, Sneak Attack); 4th level (Weapon Spec: Sword); Secondary Skill (Mariner)
Equipment: Longsword, dagger, mail shirt, clothing
Notes: Unfortunately, there is no class for a Mariner or similar and Valeria is a pirate. Despite the fact that her CHA is high, Valeria does not fit in very well with Hyborian civilization, being something of a women's liberalist. Conan found her attractive, but he always did like strong women- a trait the degenerates of civilized culture do not share, since they are easily intimidated by primal personalities.

BELIT, Queen of the Black Coast
Rogue 12th/Barbarian 6th; CN; XP: 950, 002
STR 12; BtH +2 (+2 missile)
DEX 17 (p); AC 12
CON 14 (p); HP 68
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 18 (p)
BEA 18
Abilities: 12th level (Back Attack, Cant, Climb, Decipher Script, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Pick Pockets, Traps, Sneak Attack); 6th level (Combat Sense, Deerstalker, Primeval Instincts); Secondary Skill (Mariner)
Equipment: Falchion, dagger, clothing (occasionally)
Notes: Unfortunately, there is no class for a Mariner or similar and Belit is also a pirate- can we add a Mariner class yet? Belit was wild and exceptionally impulsive. Conan was practically hypnotized by her untamed beauty and unpredictable passions. However, in the end her impulsiveness cost her dearly. Conan never loved any other woman, though he was attracted to many. Most civilized men who encountered her feared her greatly. Most barbaric men worshipped or loved her.

JUMA
Fighter 8th/Barbarian 4th; CG; XP: 221, 002
STR 18 (p); BtH +8 (+3 melee, +2 missile)
DEX 17 (p); AC 15
CON 18 (p); HP 75
INT 13
WIS 12
CHA 15
BEA 13
Abilities: 8th level (Weapon Spec: Sword, Combat Dominance); 4th level (Combat Sense, Deerstalker, Primeval Instincts)
Equipment: Two handed sword, short bow, studded leather, clothing
Notes: Unfortunately, I don't recall Juma that well. He was an L. Sprague deCamp/Lin Carter character introduced in "The City of Skulls." I remember liking him and thinking he was a good foil to Conan, but little else. Almost all of this write up is from the TSR Conan adventures.

NESTOR, the Gunderman
Fighter 8th; N; XP: 136, 001
STR 16 (p); BtH +8 (+2 melee, +1 missile)
DEX 15 (p); AC 15
CON 13 (p); HP 59
INT 16
WIS 12
CHA 12
BEA 14
Abilities: 8th level (Weapon Spec: Sword, Combat Dominance)
Equipment: Longsword, dagger, Bronze Breastplate, Normal Helm, clothing
Notes: The commander of the Zamorian troop sent to arrest Conan in the L. Sprague deCamp/Robert E. Howard tale "The Hall of the Dead."

SUBOTAI, Thief and Archer
Rogue 10th; CN; XP 175, 001
STR 14 (p); BtH +3 (+1 melee, +3 missile)
DEX 18 (p); AC 15
CON 17 (p); HP 58
INT 14
WIS 14
CHA 15
BEA 10
Abilities: 10th level (Back Attack, Cant, Climb, Decipher Script, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Pick Pockets, Traps, Sneak Attack); Secondary Skill (Animal Handling)
Equipment: Scimitar, short bow, leather armor, clothes
Notes: He never appeared in Howard, but he should have. Subotai is a terrfiic character. I gave him the secondary skill of Animal Handling because he is still Hyrkanian, after all, even if we rarely see him ride.

AKIRO, the Chronicler of Nemedia
Cleric 13th/Wizard 6th; CG; XP 1,775, 002
STR 8; BtH +6 (-1 melee)
DEX 10; AC 10
CON 12; HP 31
INT 17 (p)
WIS 17 (p)
CHA 16 (p)
BEA 9
Abilities: 13th- Turn Undead; Secondary Skill (Scribe)
Equipment: Spear ("I did it... with my spear!"), clothes
Spells:
Cleric spells per day: 0-x6; 1-x6; 2-x6; 3-x4; 4-x4; 5-x3; 6-x2; 7-x1
Wizard spells per day:
0-x5 (Detect magic, light, mending, open/close, prestidigitation)
1-x6 (Comprehend languages, hold portal, identify, read magic, erase, protection from evil)
2-x4 (Knock, lock, protection from arrows, scare)
3-x2 (Dispel magic, tongues)
Notes: Okay, Mako was such an amazing actor that I had no choice but to choose Akiro for inclusion. Easily my favorite non-Howard Conan character ever created he was even great in the ill fated sequel. I made him higher level than it would appear because he definitely has the spell Ressurection because that's the spell he used in the movie.
As a wizard, I would definitely adhere to the alchemy-style Vancian magic presented in the rules. When choosing his spells, I tried to pick spells that were sword and sorcery friendly. As a cleric, I would point out that the gods of Hyboria only grant spells in exchenge for boons- mere worship will not convince them to give you squat. Thus, Akiro rarely calls on them at all.

THOTH-AMON, Dark Lord of Stygia
Wizard 14th/Cleric 7th; LE; XP 2,200,002
STR 12; BtH +4 (+2 missile)
DEX 16; AC 12
CON 15; HP 64
INT 18 (p)
WIS 16 (p)
CHA 14 (p)
BEA 9
Abilities: 14th- Detect magic; 7th- Turn Undead; Secondary Skill (Scribe)
Equipment: Robes, staff, dagger, RING OF SET (This ring allows its wearer to cast Summon Planar Ally (Cleric 9th, ally will be appropriate to Set and likely a demon) once per day. Set judges the wearer of this ring and any found wanting will quickly find the planar ally an enemy. While he wore this ring even the fabled dark wizards of Stygia feared Thoth-Amon.)
Spells:
Cleric spells per day: 0-x5; 1-x5; 2-x4; 3-x2; 4-x1
Wizard spells per day:
0-x6 (Arcane mark, detect poison, mage hand, message, open/close, prestidigitation)
1-x7 (Charm person, comprehend languages, hold portal, identify, read magic, erase, unseen servant)
2-x6 (Knock, scare, darkness, continual flame, locate object, mirror image)
3-x5 (Dispel magic, hold person, nondetection, suggestion, summon lesser monster)
4-x4 (Scrying, confusion, minor globe of invulnerability, detect scrying)
5-x3 (Animate dead, summon monster, contact other plane)
6-x3 (Legend lore, mass suggestion, control weather)
7-x2 (Summon greater monster, finger of death)
Notes: Thoth-Amon is Conan's most famous villain. I tried to give him the spells that evil wizards in sword and sorcery seem to always have, with a focus on summoning. Again, I would stick to the Vancian alchemy for the spell casting method.

RED SONJA, She-Devil With A Sword
Fighter 10th; CG; XP: 500, 001
STR 14 (p); BtH +10 (+1 melee, +2 missile)
DEX 17 (p); AC 16
CON 13 (p); HP 69
INT 15
WIS 12
CHA 17
BEA 16
Abilities: 10th level (Weapon Spec: Sword, Combat Dominance, Extra Attack); Secondary Skill: Animal Handling
Equipment: Broadsword, dagger, mail shirt (well, mail bikini), clothing
Notes: I think it's really abot time we admit Roy Thomas invented Red Sonja, based on concepts by Howard, but she is a classic and I bet the genius from Cross Plains would've liked her. Her stats here are more or less from the TSR adbenture. I gave her Animal Handling as a secondary skill because she is Hyrkanian. Which does make me wonder- shouldn't she be Asian?

BRAN MAK MORN, Last King of the Picts
Ranger 12th; CG (N leanings); XP: 950, 001
STR 17 (p); BtH +11 (+2 melee, +3 missile)
DEX 18 (p); AC 16
CON 18 (p); HP 122
INT 16
WIS 17
CHA 16
BEA 15
Abilities: 12th level (Combat Marauder, Conceal, Delay/Neutralize Poison, Move Silently, Scale, Traps, Survival, Track, Favored Enemy (Romans); Secondary Skill: Mythology
Equipment: Broadsword, spear, hide mail, dagger, clothing
Notes: The last of the Albion Picts, Bran Mak Morn is far more sophisticated than his degereated people, who are savages. As king, he knows may dark secrets of ancient Britain, like the location of and proper spells to call forth the Worms of the Earth.

SOLOMON KANE, Puritan Adventurer
Fighter 12th/Ranger 6th; LN; XP: 1, 475, 002
STR 16 (p); BtH +12 (+2 melee, +3 missile)
DEX 18 (p); AC 18
CON 16 (p); HP 103
INT 17
WIS 16
CHA 15
BEA 9
Abilities: 12th level (Weapon Specialization: Rapier, Combat Dominance, Extra Attack); 6th (Conceal, Delay/Neutralize Poison, Move Silently, Scale, Traps, Survival, Track); Secondary Skill: Ars Magica
Equipment: Rapier, main gauche, flint lock pistol, breastplate, clothes, hat
Notes: The second best of Howard's characters. Solomn Kane is quiet, morose, fanatical, and unrelenting. He is LN due to his rather unmerciful ways. Also, his high CHA does not by any stretch of the imagination mean he is a friendly kind of guy. It reflects the fact that he is a scary, scary man.

KULL, the Conqueror of Valusia
Barbarian 12th; CG; XP 1,000,001
STR 18 (p); BtH +11 (+3 melee, +2 missile)
DEX 17 (p); AC 16
CON 18 (p); HP 116
INT 13
WIS 15
CHA 17
BEA 12
Abilities: 12th level (Combat Sense, Deerstalker, Intimidate, Primeval Instincts, Whirlwind Attack, Primeval Will, Ancestral Calling); Secondary Skill (Strategos)
Equipment: Battle axe, mail shirt, crown circlet, clothing
Notes: Kull is the ancestor of Conan. He is less civilized but more intelligent. His arch enemies include the serpent men who are the original denizens of Valusia and the arch lich Thulsa Doom.
Treat the serpent men as Minions of Set with the ability to Alter Self 3 times per day. This spell-like ability is flawless- the serpent men can pass for human perfectly. The only method of detection is that they are incapable of uttering the ancient phrase, "Ka nama kaa lajerama." Also, 1 in 10 will be 8th level Illusionists.
Treat Thulsa Doom as a 20 HD lich.

BRULE, Spear Slayer
Ranger 8th; CG; XP: 150, 001
STR 17 (p); BtH +7 (+2 melee, +3 missile)
DEX 18 (p); AC 13
CON 18 (p); HP 67
INT 12
WIS 15
CHA 15
BEA 12
Abilities: 8th level (Combat Marauder, Conceal, Delay/Neutralize Poison, Move Silently, Scale, Traps, Survival, Track, Favored Enemy (Serpent Men); Secondary Skill: Acrobatics
Equipment: Spear, dagger, clothing
Notes: Kull's best friend and chief advisor.

CORMAC MAC ART, Celtic Reaver
Fighter 6th/Ranger 3rd; N; XP: 54, 002
STR 17 (p); BtH +5 (+2 melee and missile)
DEX 17 (p); AC 15
CON 17; HP 58
INT 11
WIS 10
CHA 17 (p)
BEA 16
Abilities: 6th level (Weapon Specialization: longsword, Combat Dominance, Extra Attack); 3rd (Conceal, Delay/Neutralize Poison, Move Silently, Scale, Traps, Survival, Track); Secondary Skill (Mariner)
Equipment: Longsword, ringmail, buckler, clothes
Notes: A classic character often overlooked. A Celt who leads a band of marauding Vikings. I made Charisma a primary ability due to his ability to lead Vikings and the fact that Howard has him more than once trying to disguise himself-- albeit very poorly. If you've not read any of his tales, check out the Baen paperback edited by David Drake.

WULFHERE SKULLSPLITTER, Wolf of the Sea
Barbarian 6th; CN; XP 40,001
STR 18 (p); BtH +5 (+3 melee, +2 missile)
DEX 17 (p); AC 16
CON 18 (p); HP 63
INT 10
WIS 9
CHA 14
BEA 9
Abilities: 6th level (Combat Sense, Deerstalker, Intimidate, Primeval Instincts, Whirlwind Attack, Primeval Will, Ancestral Calling); Secondary Skill (Mariner)
Equipment: Battle axe, long bow, scale mail, dagger, clothing
Notes: Cormac's brother in arms, Wulfhere is a berserker and the actual leader of the Vikings. He is loyal unto death to Cormac and loves nothing more than a good fight. He cannot swim, despite his secondary skill.
Flaming is the alignment language of the internet.

If you like DC Heroes, come check out my blog:
http://mayfairexponentialrpg.blogspot.com/

mediapig
Ungern

Re: Character Write Ups

Post by mediapig »

There's a pirate class in the C&C Freeport Companion, but to be honest, I think the way you wrote Belit here seems closer to the character.

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Re: Character Write Ups

I saw the Pirate profession. I like it for a Pirates of the Carribean type setting, but ti doesn't really work for Howard's tales. I have always thought AD&D needed a mariner class. It's the only iconic fantasy type not represented.
I'm glad you liked Belit's write up. Thanks.

ThrorII
Red Cap

Re: Character Write Ups- From the works of Robert E. Howard

Post by ThrorII »

REHowardFanatic, have you seen my C&C Conan conversion? I took Mongoose's d20 Conan and 'dumbed it down' for C&C simplicity. It is an 80 page document that replaces races, classes, equipment, and magic from the standard rules, and a few other additions (Fate Points, etc). If you are interested, let me know.

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Sure I'm interested. I liked the Mongoose game, though I think C&C better.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

I have a Conan C&C rule conversion somewhere, loosely based on Mongoose. Maybe I can find it somewhere.

Factoid: The actor that played Subotai, Gerry Lopez, was in only two more movies before he realized that surfing, his first love, was much better than acting and gave it up.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Rule conversions? What does C&C not have to do Conan? Unless it's stat and item conversions, and the like, in which case would be cool. :) I'd be interested in seeing those conversions.

Another factiod: Sven-Ole Thorsen, who played Thorgrim in Barbarian and Togra in Destroyer, collaborated with Arnold Schwarzenegger on fifteen films, more than anyone.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

So what do you guys think of the upcoming Conan? I think it looks pretty good. I liked Jason Momoa (s/p?) in A Game of Thrones and he looks the part in the movie. I also like the bits of talk I've heard from the producers, like making the movie R was a priority and Conan is an anti-hero.
I hate the rock n roll crap music in the comecials, but Tyler Bates actually is doing the score and he's pretty good, though, to be honest, Basil Poledouris' music is quite possibly my favorite music of all time.
Also, has anyone seen the UK Solomon Kane film?

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

I'm looking forward to it, just because its Conan. Like you, I was impressed by Momoa in Game of Thrones, and I heard he was dedicated to the role and to bringing REH's Conan to life.

That being said, it isn't based on any REH story (they may throw in some stuff like Arnie's Conan did). Apparently, Conan is the last hope in saving the world. Seems to much, if you ask me.

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Yeah, I think the epic tone is a bit much.
I wonder why they just won't make a movie based on one of Howard's tales. There are a solid dozen that would make amazing films- Tower of the Elephant, Queen of the Black Coast, The Scarlet Citadel, or People of the Black Circle would be damn great movies.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

REHowardfanatic wrote:So what do you guys think of the upcoming Conan?
Not sure. Little details some others have pointed out leave me wondering a bit - like why didn't they just give Momoa Blue Contacts. His voice sounds, well...unnatural and forced. Lots of explosions and fire which leave me wondering why they are even in there other than to say, "Hey kewl! Explosions!" This are minor details for sure and won't preclude from seeing the movie, suspending my disbelief and having a great old time. But
REHowardfanatic wrote:Also, has anyone seen the UK Solomon Kane film?
I personally have not, but my friend in the UK has, his impression was iffy IIRC. But I'll see if I can get him to post a response here about about his thoughts. It is one I do want to see though and am annoyed they never released here in the states.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

AGNKim wrote:I have a Conan C&C rule conversion somewhere, loosely based on Mongoose. Maybe I can find it somewhere.

Factoid: The actor that played Subotai, Gerry Lopez, was in only two more movies before he realized that surfing, his first love, was much better than acting and gave it up.
Gerry Lopez Filmography

Big Wednesday (1978)
Conan the Barbarian (1982)
North Shore (1987)
Farewell to the King (1989)

Big Wednesday and North Shore were related to surfing while Conan was obvious and Farewell to the King was a World War II film. The filmography doesn't include his numerous appearances in surfing documentaries.

Whoever created that factoid didn't do their homework.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Traveller wrote:
AGNKim wrote:I have a Conan C&C rule conversion somewhere, loosely based on Mongoose. Maybe I can find it somewhere.

Gerry Lopez Filmography

Big Wednesday (1978)
Conan the Barbarian (1982)
North Shore (1987)
Farewell to the King (1989)

Big Wednesday and North Shore were related to surfing while Conan was obvious and Farewell to the King was a World War II film. The filmography doesn't include his numerous appearances in surfing documentaries.

Whoever created that factoid didn't do their homework.
I guess I totally should have said, "aside from films IN WHICH HE PLAYED HIMSELF or IN DOCUMENTARIES". Maybe you should do my homework. :lol:

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

*pffttt*

Don't you know? I blew away the standardized tests they administered in my freshman year. My lowest score, writing (ironically), placed me as a senior with about two months to go until graduation. The other two scores, reading and arithmetic, were beyond the test's ability to measure.

If you were to test me now, I wouldn't be smarter than a fifth grader. :D

P.S. He didn't play himself in North Shore. According to IMDB he appeared in a TV movie, Miss America, Behind the Crown and didn't play himself there either. Wikipedia didn't mention that TV movie. ;)

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Just FYI- I have been editing my post here and adding characters to it instead of posting additional characters as replies.
I hope everyone likes what I've done. I have only 4 more Howard characters to post.

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

And now it is done!
I hope those stats are enjoyed by others as much as I enjoyed making them. C&C can capture the feel of Howard's characters better than any other game I've ever seen. Congrats to the Troll Lords for creating a game that lets me create my favorite characters with such elegance and ease!

gwb83
Ungern

Post by gwb83 »

Thank you for posting these characters! I'm currently reading the latest R.E. Howard compilations and these characters are great food for thought and as a C&C fan it is especially cool to see them statted-out here.
Gary Brown
Whimstorm ...some gaming archives

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked the write ups. Enjoy those compilations. No one can touch Howard.

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

I finally got to see the new Conan the Barbarian today. I'm clueless as to why it didn't do well. I thought it was a lot of fun. Momoa was great as Conan and the story was 100% Roy Thomas (still not quite REH). Great pace, awesome fights. It sorta bums me out that it did perform so porrly because now they won't make a sequel.
Oh well. In any case, I am going to write up the characters from that movie as well, though I am goign to read the Stackpole novel first.