Adding level to Attribute checks

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
mediapig
Ungern

Adding level to Attribute checks

Post by mediapig »

I'm still a bit confused about when to add levels to attribute checks... I'm hoping maybe some people can post herewith some general guidelines they use? I understand not adding it when trying abilities that belong to another class, but what about general situations, like swimming, knowledge, acrobatic tricks, etc.... I'd love to hear people's thoughts!

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Adding level to Attribute checks

Post by Go0gleplex »

If you have a character trying to perform an action not related to class abilities such as swimming, you need to associate the action to an attribute. In this case swimming would commonly be seen as a feat of STR, so would be a STR check. Holding one's breath could be seen as either CON (stamina) or CHA (willpower), though it is more often associated with CON. If a character wanted to do a rolling dive across the floor then it would obviously be a DEX check.

In most cases, rule of thumb, associate the action to an attribute and perform the check. This is going to be a judgement call on the part of the CK as to what attribute to use.

Not much help but it's the best I can explain it.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

mediapig
Ungern

Post by mediapig »

Absolutely, I get that part... I guess the part that confuses me is when do you allow characters to add their level to the check, and when do you not? If a 5th level fighter is trying to roll across the floor, does he get to add +5 to his roll?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

mediapig wrote:Absolutely, I get that part... I guess the part that confuses me is when do you allow characters to add their level to the check, and when do you not? If a 5th level fighter is trying to roll across the floor, does he get to add +5 to his roll?
If you are running it as an attribute check vs a skill check then absolutely, they get their level bonus per normal. If you run it as a skill check, then you're into the realm of secondary skills or class skill which do not allow the level bonus. Though some judgement is required...ie, swimming. The character has never been near water in their life...then it might be prudent to say that they do not add their level bonus due to not really knowing how to swim in the first place, whereas someone growing up around water would likely know how to at least dog-paddle. Or apply a higher CL for the guy not knowing how to swim.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The base rule is to always add level to the check unless the check falls under the class ability to a different class.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

DrRotwang
Skobbit

Post by DrRotwang »

Omote wrote:The base rule is to always add level to the check unless the check falls under the class ability to a different class.

~O
In the end, this makes more sense than it looks like it does. Otherwise, you'd be a 10th-level veteran of man, many, many adventures who, for some reason, can't tie a decent noose.
Dr Rotwang! -- yeah, that one.
All those 'anonymous' posts carried over from the old boards? Those're mine.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

DrRotwang wrote:In the end, this makes more sense than it looks like it does. Otherwise, you'd be a 10th-level veteran of man, many, many adventures who, for some reason, can't tie a decent noose.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I'll have to think about that.

I've always taken a harder-line approach, that if it's not on your ability list and not related to the class role or concept to not apply level. I know that's not official, but since i use secondary skills and the like, doing so helps to keep different characters of the same class more distinct.

-Fizz

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

I allow the Level bonus to be added if the action is on the Class Ability list, or the PC would reasonably be expected to have the skill on account of their background. So, if your Ranger was originally the youngest son of nobleman, I would allow him to add his Level when trying to remember the family lineage of a local Duke.

I personally don't mind the idea that a high-level character might be woefully bad at certain common tasks, even ones they might be assumed to have. Surprisingly, for example, most pre-modern sailors couldn't swim (since they never actually had the chance to learn). After all, people stay together in groups and communities for a reason - no single person generally possesses all the skills needed to survive comfortably on his own.
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.