Experience and levelling

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Onirim
Mist Elf

Experience and levelling

Post by Onirim »

Hi all :)

I've a little problem with the levelling system of C&C.
I run a very old campaign (more of 10 years old), and many characters meet another, at very different levels. I've lvl 1 characters to lvl 10 characters on the same group ^^

It's not a problem for gaming nor for roleplaying (I handle it, and the players like this), but it's a problem for the experience retribution.

If I give the same XP amount to all characters, the low level will grow up insanely ^^
I've think giving XP based on the actual experience value of the character ( a small percentage of this value), for a smooth and personal progression.

Sound good for you ? You have an advice for me ? ^^

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Re: Experience and levelling

Post by AGNKim »

Onirim wrote:Hi all :)

I've a little problem with the levelling system of C&C.
I run a very old campaign (more of 10 years old), and many characters meet another, at very different levels. I've lvl 1 characters to lvl 10 characters on the same group ^^

It's not a problem for gaming nor for roleplaying (I handle it, and the players like this), but it's a problem for the experience retribution.

If I give the same XP amount to all characters, the low level will grow up insanely ^^
I've think giving XP based on the actual experience value of the character ( a small percentage of this value), for a smooth and personal progression.

Sound good for you ? You have an advice for me ? ^^

Each "level" gets an equal percentage maybe? Like you have a 1st level, a 3rd level, 2 4th levels, a 5th level, a 6th level and a 10th level. That is (1+3+4+4+5+6+10) 33 levels. You have 10,000 xp. (10,000 / 33) = 303xp per level. So the 1st levels get (1 * 303) 303xp each, the 3rd levels get (3 * 303) 909 each ... and the 10th level gets (10 * 303) 3030xp.

Onirim
Mist Elf

Post by Onirim »

In my mind, the number of meetings of play for gain a new level is incremented by 1 for each level, like this:
1 to 2 -> 2 meetings
2 to 3 -> 3 meetings
3 to 4 -> 4 meetings
etc.

Based on the XP progression chart of the warrior, I've a certain amount of XP to give for each character, dependant of their total XP.

I can minus or major the XP gain, if I need to do so :)

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

I still use the old "character can not level more then once" from an adventure. So an extra XP is lost. This is an old AD&D rule , and it tends to slow down the rocketing in levels that happens when low level characters adventure with high level ones. Still you should probably give it as a % or even just reduce it with a formula, don;t feel like you have to explain. If someone complains just say he/she gets more because they are higher level.

-Mike

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I also follow, about, the same formula that mgtremaine does. In my games where higher level PCs are mixed with lower level ones, my rule is that a PC cannot advance more than one level per session. Of if the first level PC earns 6000 XP, they would level up and be short of 3rd level by 1 EXP. I think I got this rule from Mentzer D&D or the Rules Cyclopedia. It's happened a few times in the various games I have run over the years. Though, the players do get upset that the excess XP is lost. :/

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I see no reason the character cannot keep, but not use, the XP gained while adventuring with a higher-level party... there are a few things to consider:

1) the odds of survival against foes so much higher in difficulty than oneself are rather slim unless the Castle Keeper "plays unfair." Area of effect spells, for example, will likely nuke the character, sans nifty magic items, which is another point...

2) the character likely does not have magic to sustain them and I, as the Castle Keeper, would be hard-pressed to allow "sharing" to some totally new stranger in the party. Sure, it makes sense the high level PCs grant or donate their unneeded magic items... but only when the newbie proves worthy of it. Again, this could be less a point depending on the adventuring -- going into Mt. Doom might be a different paraffin than exploring the Sewers of Krakamika.

3) earning experience does not get you levels: training and time does, not even mentioning costs. Invoke the rules for training and stick to them. 1 week / level and an instructor -- perhaps any given "tutor" can only train a given student once in their lifetime (obtaining magic spells is different as they can simply provide spells on scrolls...) which can be fun when it starts to get hard finding an ever-higher-level classed character in Rinky-Dink-Ton. Maybe you'll be nice and allow the other PCs to train the new one... and that's fine and dandy, but are they really going to want to wait months to get this new guy they don't even know (assuming this) up to par? Why bother when they can just go and hire some guy they know can handle it. Heck, done right, you can force them to earn even more XP in the process, creating a perpetual loop of "damn, I need to train again; where was that elusive monk at... oh yeah, the Spires of Dragonheight. Damn. That means chimeras and those mean gully dwarfs." It also lets you eat through non-existent money -- a low level PC is not going to have the cash to spend to train 5 levels at once. Sure, he can ask his rich new buddies, but we're back to reasons.

There are more, of course, and several valid counterarguments as well, but if it were me, I'd have no problem throwing a level 1 guy into a group of level 12s... the player might but that's too damn bad. He should not have let his character die.