Same class adventuring group ~ who'd be the BADEST?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.

Who would be the most powerful "same class" group?

Fighter
5%
Ranger
No votes
Rogue
5%
Assassin
5%
Barbarian
No votes
Monk
No votes
Wizard
5%
Illusionist
No votes
Cleric
58%
Druid
21%
Knight
No votes
Paladin
No votes
Bard
No votes

Total votes: 19

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Same class adventuring group ~ who'd be the BADEST?

Post by Rhuvein »

Heh, I'm sure many have thought about this, but who do you think would be the most powerful "same class" adventuring group?

:)

[Edit - Breakdaddy, please increase the poll entry items so I can have all the classes!!! Thanks!]
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Re: Same class adventuring group ~ who'd be the BADEST?

Post by AGNKim »

Are you saying if there were a party of say four members and all members had to be the same class? I'd say Cleric. Decent HP, good combat skills, spells and healing.

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

Given chance or oppertunity to animal friendship, Druid hands down.
They par up to cleric well but when they befriend some animals their parties battle prowess increases dramaticly.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I think it changes over time, to be honest.

At low levels -- fighter, ranger, or barbarian. Really, though, any single group of "all warriors" is going to be quite lethal. They might encounter some difficulties against spellcasting opponents but if they spread their Primes around, that can be overcome and then its hell to pay when the party returns damage easily and in high numbers.

By the mid levels, such as 6-10 or so, it would probably be druid but this also assumes there is qualifiers about location (for example, some spells may be unusable in the deep dungeons.) Other contenders are thieves (rogues) who, while not the best at killing opposition, can typically bypass and avoid which may even be better -- get the loot without the risk and all; I say this because, unlike the typical game, the rogue would not be out-shined by the spells of other classes... and so could make far more use of their actual abilities.

At high levels, without a doubt, it is wizard or illusionist but it begs a question: what spell selection is available? If it is very restricted, then I'd say a party of clerics who can prepare whatever spells they want.

Any of this is subject to change with house rules and other situational conditions like campaign flavor. It does not mean, also, that classes are "useless" at other levels... I just think that, for what they do, they tend to be most direct impact at certain points.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

AGNKim wrote:Are you saying if there were a party of say four members and all members had to be the same class? I'd say Cleric. Decent HP, good combat skills, spells and healing.
Agreed.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Mark Hall
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mark Hall »

I'd lean towards cleric or druids, especially if the druids are picking the adventures (i.e. avoiding the underground, where they're weaker). Clerics have the advantage in AC and the ability to spam Sound Burst is pretty nasty.
I don't have to have everything perfect... just good enough that the seams don't show on the monkey suit. -Me
I like that. Not going to use it because I like mine better, but I do like that idea. -Treebore, summing up most home designers' philosophy

KaiserKris
Red Cap

Post by KaiserKris »

Overall, I'd probably say clerics or druids.

Sure, wizards and such are more powerful, but they're also woefully frail. If anything should ever get past their defences, they're in sorry shape. This is why wizards drag along the Big Dumb Fighter. ;)

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

OK chieftains. Poll number increased to 13. Rhu, feel free to modify your initial poll.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Breakdaddy wrote:OK chieftains. Poll number increased to 13. Rhu, feel free to modify your initial poll.
Thanks, BD!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Good responses, so far - thanks all.

I initially was thinking wizard or cleric, but I think a party of clerics might be the uber badest!

Great armor
Deadly weapons
Spell casting
Healing

8-)

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Druids get some badass spells, and fight like clerics if I recall, so maybe them.
But the healing spells probably give the clerics the edge, think of the paladins in Warcraft II, constantly healing each other and just fighting and fighting and fighting....

Serl may be right, it depends on the level, but overall by gut says Cleric or druid overall.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

My vote's for Cleric. They can Tank up as needed, heal on demand, and have a decent array of offensive spell capability and buffs at mid to high levels. They would be extremely versatile with the ability (through spells) to detect magic, dispel magic, detect secret doors, and even detect traps; not to mention the full-on wrecking crew a group of Clerics would be against even the nastiest swarm of undead. A full group of Clerics would be a mean batch of dudes.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The problem with clerics is that they don't hit very well. This means they need to be evil clerics to be really effective at high levels so they can use spells like harm without suffering alignment penalties and then, level loss. So, in a situation where they need to beat something down, like say, an iron golem, they're probably going to have a rough time at it... unless they get very creative and sink the floor and trap the thing. Of course, they do have some summoning ability so that might help too.

I find that druids, on the whole, are better than clerics.

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

Fight fight!!

In this corner is Serleran's Druid Five! All 9th level Casters! (the crowd cheers).

In this corner is Rhuvein's Clerical Band of Five! All 9th level casters!(The crowd cheers).

Fight!!(Ding Ding)

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

My son just walked by and read my post and said" Clerics win initiative,all clerics of mystra,five fireballs each for 9D6 damage...dead druids...next!"

Sorry but that made me laugh. Also im wondering why he is already home from school...hmm afk a bit 8)

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

The question is too vague. The answer depends entirely on type of adventure, and who the players are. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Four fighters > all

Damn right.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

Part of me wanted to say fighter, but I went with rogues. I'd go with assassins for my #2. Depending on the bad guy, going toe-to-toe, the odds are usually pretty good that somebody's going to get knocked down hard. Straight-up fight, I see the TPK as a likely bet. Clerics are nice, but depending on the setting, it shouldn't be too hard (especially for rogues) to come up with a slew of healing potions, so that nullifies the healing option from spells. Besides that, if the clerics are casting healing spells, that takes away from the rest of their utility. Your rogues and assassins are going to be able to find good hidey-holes and use missile weapons to fight from a distance. Some good tactics, as far as setting up traps, and hitting from the flank would help, as well as the use of poison.

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

[quote="GameOgre"]My son just walked by and read my post and said" Clerics win initiative,all clerics of mystra,five fireballs each for 9D6 damage...dead druids...next!" quote]

Druids all make their saves bonus vs elements, take about 20 points.

4 Awakened aminal growthed animal friendshiped cave bears attack the clerics while the druids assume tiger form and the mass of claws and teeth shred the poor out numbered clerics.
One druid stays back to cast insect plauge and prevent the clerics from casting.. game over druids win.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

gideon_thorne wrote:The question is too vague. The answer depends entirely on type of adventure, and who the players are. :)
Of course. This is just a thread to chew the fat/discuss/posit/discuss! :D

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Sir Osis of Liver wrote: Besides that, if the clerics are casting healing spells, that takes away from the rest of their utility.
Well no - they wouldn't all be healing.

I envision, say a party of 5 . . three clerics in the front in melee with 2 in the back casting spells and looking to support the group. They would both be casting area spells and then be ready to heal.

If one cleric in front begins to take damage, he can attack and then move back. A cleric in back can cast a heal and then move to the front. If the injured cleric need more healing, the 2nd cleric in back can further heal . . and so forth.

Movement and strategy will win the day.

:D