THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
User avatar
anglefish
Unkbartig
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by anglefish »

garydee wrote:
anglefish wrote:Actually, Adjuncts were like substitute class abilities ... or additional class abilities depending on the power level in your game.
Really? Man, I hope those are still in the CKG somewhere.
I'm trying to remember which Crusader they got previewed in. If memory serves me right, you could make a mongolian archer with the sneek peek material.

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

anglefish wrote:
Breakdaddy wrote: The vancian magic system is discussion and its integration with the SIEGE mechanic.
This needs clarification for me. I don't get what it means. e.g., isn't that simply SR and Savings Throws?
As I recall, it was more of an explanation as to why the vancian system is used as the default system for C&C which then segues into the alternate new systems. The mislabeling is my own, not the CKG. The proper heading of this section is actually called "Beyond SIEGE". My apologies for the mistake.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

anglefish wrote:
garydee wrote:
anglefish wrote:Actually, Adjuncts were like substitute class abilities ... or additional class abilities depending on the power level in your game.
Really? Man, I hope those are still in the CKG somewhere.
I'm trying to remember which Crusader they got previewed in. If memory serves me right, you could make a mongolian archer with the sneek peek material.
I dont recall having seen anything like this in the CKG up to this point.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

garydee
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by garydee »

Breakdaddy wrote:
I dont recall having seen anything like this in the CKG up to this point.
Hopefully, Steve is saving it for a future product.

User avatar
anglefish
Unkbartig
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by anglefish »

It was Crusader #14, but it's confusing because the title is Adjuncts: Additional Skills for Players, but the meat of it is definitely abilities that can substitute or become additional class abilities. They give a suggested Adjuct progression list and provide four examples.

My bad, the Mongolian Horde is only mentioned as setting where Adjuncts could tweak the Knight class to something better suited for the campaign.

On the other hand, the article reminds me that Class deconstruction was mentioned to be in the CKG.

garydee
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by garydee »

What is chapter 14:Advancing the Game about?

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

anglefish wrote:It was Crusader #14, but it's confusing because the title is Adjuncts: Additional Skills for Players, but the meat of it is definitely abilities that can substitute or become additional class abilities. They give a suggested Adjuct progression list and provide four examples.

My bad, the Mongolian Horde is only mentioned as setting where Adjuncts could tweak the Knight class to something better suited for the campaign.

On the other hand, the article reminds me that Class deconstruction was mentioned to be in the CKG.
I just checked that Crusader article and i'm now certain that the adjuncts are what I was talking about earlier, although now theyre called something else in the CKG. I even recognize some of the examples provided in the article from the CKG.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

garydee wrote:What is chapter 14:Advancing the Game about?
Purely just having skimmed through it, it seems to be a chapter devoted to fleshing out the story portion of your game. Seems to be something akin to the Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds book "Insidiae" or the like. That's from about 30 seconds of reading/skimming, so take it for what it's worth.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

User avatar
Piperdog
Unkbartig
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Martin, MI

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Piperdog »

Thanks for report BD! This has got me really pumped up. Can't wait to get my grubby paws on this thing.

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

Piperdog wrote:Thanks for report BD! This has got me really pumped up. Can't wait to get my grubby paws on this thing.
Word, Piper. Sorry I didn't get back with you yesterday. Twas a busy one. I'll try and catch up with you soon.
I'm also going to try to provide the promised reportage on the combat chapter today. We'll see how it goes ;)
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

garydee
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by garydee »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Piperdog wrote:Thanks for report BD! This has got me really pumped up. Can't wait to get my grubby paws on this thing.
Word, Piper. Sorry I didn't get back with you yesterday. Twas a busy one. I'll try and catch up with you soon.
I'm also going to try to provide the promised reportage on the combat chapter today. We'll see how it goes ;)
:D

User avatar
bloodymage
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Bloody Krag in the Kyrian Confederacy

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by bloodymage »

I have a pre-order, but I'm not sure the Trolls have my current address. Still trying to play catch-up.

User avatar
bloodymage
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Bloody Krag in the Kyrian Confederacy

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by bloodymage »

anglefish wrote:
Breakdaddy wrote: The vancian magic system is discussion and its integration with the SIEGE mechanic.
This needs clarification for me. I don't get what it means. e.g., isn't that simply SR and Savings Throws?
If I understand your question correctly, a vancian system is often called "fire and forget." Breakdaddy mentions the spell slot system with spell points. Vancian uses spell slots without the points and once the spell is cast it must be reacquired, through memorization or prayer.

jaguar451
Ulthal
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by jaguar451 »

Thanks for sharing -- sounds like a really interesting book.

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

Word. Sorry I didnt get around to the combat chapter yesterday. Ill try to get back with you cats sometime today on it IF possible!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

Chapter 17: COMBAT
After a brief intro to this section we get a small blurb on the ebb and flow of battle. It focuses on the importance of creating excitement in your combats. Very brief, but more on this subject is to come.
A larger section on balancing the combat to suit the group’s power level is up next.
Next we have a section about running the combat smoothly while keeping the rules transparent and in the background.
Next up is a small paragraph on the importance of fast paced, descriptive combat with a focus on keeping the combat exciting and engaging.
Next up, Combat basics…here we get a break down of the combat round, static vs dynamic initiative, and yet again a focus on heroic descriptive combat (this is the overarching theme of the chapter it seems).
Next up, a few paragraphs on, you guessed it: roleplaying combat!
Next is a section on adding to the ROLL playing experience, with a focus on critical hits and fumbles, massive successes, and a slew of new charts for the chartgeek in each of us. Creature subdual is spoken of along with two systems for subduing your foe. Combat on specific terrain types is discussed along with line of sight and distances.
Next up we have combat maneuvers for melee and ranged attacks with some new charts such as “randomly landed blows; DRAGON-LIKE”, scary!
Basic and advanced armor rules for damage reduction are presented.
Surprise is discussed along with a new chart: “surprise circumstances”
Next up, a discussion of the abstract nature of hit points and then we have a new wounds system for C&C, grievous injury, massive damage from various types of attack and the chapter ends with a discussion of melding the new wounds system with the grievous injury mechanic.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Maliki
Lore Drake
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Maliki »

garydee wrote:
Breakdaddy wrote:
Grey wrote:The adjuncts were discussed way back as a sort of 'skill' system (but more flexible if I recall correctly), but the name may well have changed (I think they were discussed in the Feb 09 Crusader as being in the CKG).
Is there any help on creating classes? (never having been a big D&D follower, I find creating classes, especially experience and level tables, a bit of a mystery)

Thanks again
D.
Oh yeah dude, Chapter 18: SKILL PACKAGES (pages 263-274)

Looks like the adjuncts are now called "advantages"....
Havent read it yet, sorry!

Sure, Ill report on the combat section.
Thanks! I'm also glad for the name change to "advantage". "Adjunct" sounds a little oddball to me.
+1

garydee
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by garydee »

Breakdaddy wrote:Chapter 17: COMBAT
After a brief intro to this section we get a small blurb on the ebb and flow of battle. It focuses on the importance of creating excitement in your combats. Very brief, but more on this subject is to come.
A larger section on balancing the combat to suit the group’s power level is up next.
Next we have a section about running the combat smoothly while keeping the rules transparent and in the background.
Next up is a small paragraph on the importance of fast paced, descriptive combat with a focus on keeping the combat exciting and engaging.
Next up, Combat basics…here we get a break down of the combat round, static vs dynamic initiative, and yet again a focus on heroic descriptive combat (this is the overarching theme of the chapter it seems).
Next up, a few paragraphs on, you guessed it: roleplaying combat!
Next is a section on adding to the ROLL playing experience, with a focus on critical hits and fumbles, massive successes, and a slew of new charts for the chartgeek in each of us. Creature subdual is spoken of along with two systems for subduing your foe. Combat on specific terrain types is discussed along with line of sight and distances.
Next up we have combat maneuvers for melee and ranged attacks with some new charts such as “randomly landed blows; DRAGON-LIKE”, scary!
Basic and advanced armor rules for damage reduction are presented.
Surprise is discussed along with a new chart: “surprise circumstances”
Next up, a discussion of the abstract nature of hit points and then we have a new wounds system for C&C, grievous injury, massive damage from various types of attack and the chapter ends with a discussion of melding the new wounds system with the grievous injury mechanic.
Thanks for the summary. It sounds like a really cool section.

garydee
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by garydee »

Quick question Breakdaddy. Are there any rules for increased hit points for starting characters? Like a hit point kicker similar to the old Hackmaster rules?

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

garydee wrote:Quick question Breakdaddy. Are there any rules for increased hit points for starting characters? Like a hit point kicker similar to the old Hackmaster rules?
Not in this section but there mightve been some hit point boosters in the new skills section. I'd have to go back and look but the book's not with me right now.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

User avatar
Demiurge
Red Cap
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Clinton, ME

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Demiurge »

Breakdaddy wrote:the book's not with me right now.
WHAT?!? :shock: At least tell me you put a fire trap spell on it!
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

Demiurge wrote:
Breakdaddy wrote:the book's not with me right now.
WHAT?!? :shock: At least tell me you put a fire trap spell on it!
:lol:
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

User avatar
gideon_thorne
Maukling
Posts: 6176
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:00 am
Contact:

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by gideon_thorne »

I suggested pocket sized hard back versions, to Steve. We'll see if he goes for it? ;)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by GreyLord »

garydee wrote:Quick question Breakdaddy. Are there any rules for increased hit points for starting characters? Like a hit point kicker similar to the old Hackmaster rules?
I looked through the character section, and in the index and didn't see something on an HP kicker. However...I DID see the wounds system...probably not what you had in mind.

They ALSO have a Fate Point system...which could help out 1st level characters quite a bit...not an HP kicker...but perhaps in someways even more useful...

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

Yeah no hp kicker and nothing in the new skills that give actual HP. There are some defensive skills that would help preserve them, but nothing to boost them.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

User avatar
old school gamer
Red Cap
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by old school gamer »

Is there any way to get the digest book just by itself? I don't really need the other stuff. I mean between myself and two other players I have four player handbooks.

User avatar
Dead Horse
Red Cap
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Lurking in Omaha NE

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Dead Horse »

Chomping at the bit for this book.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Relaxo »

old school gamer wrote:Is there any way to get the digest book just by itself? I don't really need the other stuff. I mean between myself and two other players I have four player handbooks.

Yes.
or maybe not yet, but it will be yes.
read that in one of these threads. check the store.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

User avatar
Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by Breakdaddy »

Dead Horse wrote:Chomping at the bit for this book.
Haw haw! Horse humour! :D
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

garydee
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:00 am

Re: THE FIRST CKG EVER!

Post by garydee »

Under the Character Death chapter, are there alternative rules to raising the dead? Is raising the dead still automatic or do they have an alternative to this?

Post Reply