AND..They're Off! (Horse Racing Rules)

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Arazmus
Ulthal

AND..They're Off! (Horse Racing Rules)

Post by Arazmus »

Upcoming in my campaign will be a Fair (marking both MidSummer and the marriage of the King), at this fair will be many tournaments:

Wrestling, Archery, Footlists, and of course the Joust (the Main Event as it were) but there will also be a horse race.

The mechanics for it work as follows:

The race will last for 20 rounds (about 2 minutes which is fairly standard for modern horse racing).

Round 1: All participants roll a Horsemanship roll (DEX) *note that knights may add their level to this roll and have a decided advantage. This roll determines the riders' positions on the field after the start (it is helpful to have miniatures or even chits with the riders' names on them to help keep track). It IS important to keep track of how much the rider made (or failed) the roll by. The positions are determined by degree of success, and each +1 difference after the first gives the rider a length on the rider behind him. Ties are possible and those riders are tied until a move is made (running neck-and-neck).
e.g. The field has 8 horses and 8 riders all the same level and all knights for simplicity's sake. (1 through 8) The initial roll has all but number 8 succeeding by +6, +5, +5, +3, +2, +1, +0, and -1 respectively. #1 has the lead, #2 and #3 are tied for second with a length lead on #4, #5 through #8 bring up the rest of the pack in order.

Rounds 2-19: The leader has the option to try and open up a lead. By making a horsemanship roll and the mount making a CON save each of the horses and riders behind him suffer a -1 to all actions; if either roll fails, however, the lead horse and rider suffer -1 to all actions.

The other riders can attempt one of the following:
Jockey for Position: with a successful horsemanship roll the rider gains a +1 to overtake for the next round and the rider can do this for 3 consecutive rounds and save up the bonus for a cumulative +3 on an overtake roll (applies to both rider and mount's rolls).
Overtake: By making a horsmanship roll and the mount making a CON save the pair move up one in position (or gain a length), if the horsemanship roll fails they do not change, of the CON save fails they lose one spot.
Protect: This maneuver can be performed by any horse in the field except the horse brining up the rear (including the leader). With a successful horsemanship roll the rider inflicts a -1 penalty to any pass rolls attempted against him.

Round 20: All the normal actions can be performed but in the case of ties (usually only for Win or Place) a horsemanship roll is made and the rider who succceeds by the most noses his mount ahead for the lead.

It's a lot easier in practice than it reads.

Any critiques or ideas, I'd be happy to hear them and modify the system.

The other Tourneys' procedures will be listed soon.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It looks like it will do the job. For my games I would have to take into account the quality of the horse though. Especially my home games, since I have horses progress to 10 HD, and have superior qualities like extra speed/movement of up to +30 feet per round, and an extra die to jousting damage (x4 instead of x3), the horses with extra movement also get a +1 to +3 to area of effect spells. I also have horse trained to be so loyal they get a +2 to any charm saves, and get to roll a new save, any time they are charmed, or are asked by the caster to do something contrary to what his owners commands are. Things like that.

Horses in my game can cost up to 20,000 gold. Before enchantments. I have had players get permanetized Protection from Evil put on their mounts, as well as Protections from Fire, Electricity and what not. Then they got smart and put it on their saddles, since those tend to survive better than the horses.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

So, it is assumed all horses have the same movement and are equally encumbered?

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

serleran wrote:
So, it is assumed all horses have the same movement and are equally encumbered?

Yes, that isn't to say that someone couldn't cheat and use magic but that's more a story than a mechanics sort of thing.