The Rogue and the Mace

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
mostrojoe
Hlobane Orc

The Rogue and the Mace

Post by mostrojoe »

Happy 2021 everybody.

In the Rogue description, it is said the class is proficient with the mace weapon. It is intended the light version only or all versions of the mace are included (light, heavy and large)?

Also: in the equipment section I have seen the large mace is lighter that the light and the heavy mace. It is an error?

Grandpa
Ungern

Re: The Rogue and the Mace

Post by Grandpa »

If it just says "mace" that would be any mace. In the PHB the light mace is 3 lbs. and the large & heavy mace are 4 lbs.

mostrojoe
Hlobane Orc

Post by mostrojoe »

Grandpa wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:51 pm
If it just says "mace" that would be any mace. In the PHB the light mace is 3 lbs. and the large & heavy mace are 4 lbs.
Well, if every mace could be included, I think it would have been more appropiate the term "maces". The single term seems to imply that only one kind of mace can be used properly by a rogue. Ok after all for the heavy mace, but the large one seems a cavalry weapon.
I am reading the 7th print of the PHB. It says light mace 3 EV and large & heavy maces 4 EV. BUT they are 6 lbs for light and heavy maces and just 5 lbs for the large one, an oddity!

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

mostrojoe wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:17 am
Grandpa wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:51 pm
Well, if every mace could be included, I think it would have been more appropiate the term "maces". The single term seems to imply that only one kind of mace can be used properly by a rogue. Ok after all for the heavy mace, but the large one seems a cavalry weapon.
I am reading the 7th print of the PHB. It says light mace 3 EV and large & heavy maces 4 EV. BUT they are 6 lbs for light and heavy maces and just 5 lbs for the large one, an oddity!
I'm reading the 3rd printing of the PHB, it says light mace is 3 EV and 6 lbs., large mace is 4 EV and 10 lbs., heavy mace is 4 EV and 12 lbs.

Grandpa
Ungern

Post by Grandpa »

Kayolan wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:54 pm

I'm reading the 3rd printing of the PHB, it says light mace is 3 EV and 6 lbs., large mace is 4 EV and 10 lbs., heavy mace is 4 EV and 12 lbs.
I quoted from the most recent printing.

Grandpa
Ungern

Post by Grandpa »

mostrojoe wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:17 am

Well, if every mace could be included, I think it would have been more appropiate the term "maces". The single term seems to imply that only one kind of mace can be used properly by a rogue.
In the latest printing they indicate restriction by explicitly naming the weapon(s) allowed. E.g. the weapons allowed by the Cleric class, "light or heavy mace." In English grammar it is correct to say "mace" to indicate any mace. Saying, Clerics can use maces is incorrect. The correct wording would be, "Clerics can use the mace."

mostrojoe
Hlobane Orc

Post by mostrojoe »

Grandpa wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:30 pm
In the latest printing they indicate restriction by explicitly naming the weapon(s) allowed. E.g. the weapons allowed by the Cleric class, "light or heavy mace."
The incoming 8th Printing you mean?

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

So it would appear that the latest printing has it wrong then. :lol:

Grandpa
Ungern

Post by Grandpa »

mostrojoe wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 pm
??? How would I quote from something no one has yet????? "The latest" would indicate the last edition published.

Grandpa
Ungern

Post by Grandpa »

Kayolan wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:40 pm
So it would appear that the latest printing has it wrong then. :lol:
I wonder who edited the last printing published?

mostrojoe
Hlobane Orc

Post by mostrojoe »

Grandpa wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 pm
mostrojoe wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 pm
??? How would I quote from something no one has yet????? "The latest" would indicate the last edition published.
I red the 7th printing, the one actually downloadable for free. I should check the old B&W printing I have, that I really like anyway.

Grandpa
Ungern

Post by Grandpa »

mostrojoe wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:28 am

I red the 7th printing, the one actually downloadable for free. I should check the old B&W printing I have, that I really like anyway.
I quoted from the free (latest) printing. Downloaded on 15 Oct 2020. I don't recall what printing the B&W was.