On the Anvil (02-08-10) TLG 8121 Fields of Battle

This forum is a rarely properly updated forum that discusses everything we are working on at the Dens!
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

On the Anvil (02-08-10) TLG 8121 Fields of Battle

Post by Troll Lord »

Product Type: Large Scale Warfare for RPGs (CASTLES & CRUSADES)

Format/Price: Box Set, Rules; $19.99

Written By:Casey Christofferson

Ordering Info: TLG 8121, ISBN: 978-0-9844155-4-0
Fields of Battle
War is an evil thing; but it is not the most evil of things. For where evil reigns peace must suffer and the worlds want be lost in the wages of blood. It is here, where evil sows its seeds of destruction, that the brave must forever rise up to champion those that are true. And so it always has been, and always will be, that the wages of evil are spent upon the Fields of Battle.

These are miniature battle rules based upon the Castles & Crusades Siege Engine. With them in hand you can run small or large scale battles in any role playing game. This simple, straight-forward, and easy to use system easily simulates battles between hundreds and even thousands of combatants in a single gaming session. The Fields of Battle modification to the Siege Engine places the PCs and their arch enemies on the same battlefield right alongside the forces of combatants, allowing their skills and abilities to have a direct impact on the wars that they wage.

Playable with all miniatures the Fields of Battle version of the Siege Engine is designed for quickness and ease of use. The focus is not upon the miniatures, but the game! Enjoy the supplied markers or make up your own; take out your old Ral Partha miniatures or bring some of Reapers finest to the table either and all ways work with the Fields of Battle play set.

By its very nature the Castles and Crusades fantasy role playing game lends itself readily to blending classic battlefield struggles into your adventures Fields of Battle builds upon that and brings a whole new level of development to your gaming table.

The Box Includes

The contents are not fixed yet, but look back for more updates soon and be sure to check out the fine products put forward by Fat Dragon Games!

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Um, sweetness!

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

double-c
Ungern

Post by double-c »

Will the markers be little stand-ups or 1" pog sized dealys?

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

SWEET! Champing at the bit for this one.

double-c
Ungern

Post by double-c »

Will there be another box set called "Court of Intrigue" for social combat?

Please say maybe.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Nice to see the project moving forward.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Awesome!

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

Woot! Looking forward to this (and more details of what will be in the box).

mostrojoe
Hlobane Orc

Post by mostrojoe »

I'll buy that for sure.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Looking forward to getting this one!

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Do the deal with Fat Dragon and this will be AWESOME!! Otherwise it will only be great!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Hrolfgar
Red Cap

Post by Hrolfgar »

Sounds like a great item, and I agree with Treebore about that Fat Dragon deal

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Really looking forward to this more and more. I plan on injecting this ruleset in many sessions as part of epic story arcs. I have a good feeling I will be using this ruleset for GenCon, as part of my adventure I will be running. On a side note, I am buying a ton of 1/72 minis (Caesar Miniatures), not just for fantasy, but for historical battles too. I want to run a fast paced game without it being bogged down with hundreds of pages of needless rules, but at the same time, have a bit of depth and realism.

2010 is the Year of the Troll.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

This one is on my to-buy list, as well.

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Interesting. Verrrry interesting. *perks*

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

mostrojoe
Hlobane Orc

Post by mostrojoe »

... and the "Cleaver the pit out of the box" product?

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

This sounds good to me as well. I can't wait to see a "rules light" take on this. The last few month's I've been re-reading Swords & Spells thinking about setting up some old school battles for my son but this sounds like something I'll have to buy instead. Looking back I never took to Warhammer, and I traded in my Battle System box set last year, having never run it either. I did use the War Machine mass combat rules from the Companion Set back in the early 90's for some stuff and it was ok.

-Mike

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If you haven't seen the Troll Lord Games product video on Fields of Battle yet, check out www.facebook.com (and befriend "Trolllord") or check out YouTube and look for "Troll Lord". It is a great video and hosted by the Brothers Troll.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

The take way thought in the video was, it can clean up spills. Hmmm... I guess I need that.

-Mike

[Thanks for pointing out the product video Omote]

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

No problem at all MTG! That video is all about the PLAID POWER!!!

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Wait....is that....war drums in the background? the shaking of the ground as the distant cavalry advance.....it is getting closer and closer.....

TIME TO BRING IT

mostrojoe
Hlobane Orc

Post by mostrojoe »

What is the difference between this product and ""Cleaver the pit out of the box"?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Fields of Battle is a war. Cleaver the Pit is a gladiatorial combat game. One focuses on individuals, and the other on troops. Or, so I understand. Scope is not only a mouthwash.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Had a really cool post...

Post by Bowbe »

I had a really cool post reply the other day and must have forgot to click the post button.

Either way here goes and remember my Bias.

With fields of Battle (along with the help of a few folks and tons of playtesters along the way) I set out about 8 years ago to create a mass combat system for my favorite game that doesn't totally suck. The idea was to make a game based on traditional fantasy rpg (D&D, C&C) that let the characters actually be characters and do "character stuff".

What we came up with were rules that make everything nice and easy to understand, fast to pick up and play where everything works just like it "should" in a C&C game, and is easily platformable to your 2e-3x to pathfinder style combat. IN other words... if you want your units to have feats and stuff, give em feats and stuff and it will still play the same way. 4e? I suppose you could add the whole push pull or drag mechanics to the game if you wanted to... but really push pull and drag "mechanics" remind me of a used car salesman... sorta like... nevermind
What we ended up with is a rules set that works like your favorite RPG... and one that you can play as a pickup game by simply creating or using a pre generated battle scenario and having the buddies over for beer and pretzels and a night of mass battles. Want to play the "300" battle Thermopylae? Go ahead. Want to re-create Helms Deep? You can.

Fields of Battle differs from say Warhammer in that the scale and scope is a bit different. Hero units (Your characters and opposing NPCs) can do more than just buff units (though they can do this too). The players could say... attack enemy units using the battle formation rules, taking down entire enemy squads single handedly. They can take command of units, directing them on the field, or they can pose down in toe to toe combat against enemy commanders, all while using their own normal powers and abilities that work just like they always do.

Fields' differs from the old Battlesystem rules in that you dont need to transform your basement or living room floor into the battlefield (though you could if you wanted to) and the battle will probably be finished in a 3-5 hour game session. Believe me we had battlesystem games in the day that encompassed an entire basement and never ended.
To me, Fields' brings my whole gaming experience full circle and opens up the game to the type of epic adventure I like to read about, and like to write. Sure dungeons are awesome, but epic battles were the roots of the game.

Anyhow, I hope you all enjoy it when it hits the shelves!

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Treebore wrote:
Do the deal with Fat Dragon and this will be AWESOME!! Otherwise it will only be great!

I didn't read it as a deal, more of just giving props to existing Fat Dragon products.

I would, however, be very interested in a specific line of Fat Dragon paper terrain/mini's for this product.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

I believe thats the plan. They will introduce new terrain on their site and/or scenarios that go with it. We will be supporting FoB in multiple manners as follows:

My Haunted Highlands books.

I've already begun statting out armies as with the Dro Mandras books, Dwellers in Darkness ect. I will continue to do so, so that folks can play the large scale battles that the adventure is built on.

Fields of Battle quick battle scenarios will become a feature in Crusader.

Other battles will find their way to PDF release with extras included that wouldnt be feasable for the Crusader. These may include more models and what have you depending on how things go. I'm seriously excited enough about this that im about to send Tullis at Fat Dragon a sleeve of Duct Tape to bury the hatchet once and for all .

C.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Bowbe wrote:
I'm seriously excited enough about this that im about to send Tullis at Fat Dragon a sleeve of Duct Tape to bury the hatchet once and for all .

I hope that this is a sleeve (Like form a shirt.) made out of duct tape and not just boring rolls of duct tape. Because the former is filled with awesome and the latter filled with non-awesome.

Wulfgarn
Lore Drake

Post by Wulfgarn »

Is there a taste of the game some where

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Case,

I've been looking forward to this for awhile now....it sounds awesome. My group and I played warhammer fantasy, both the pen and paper, and the mass battles. We would play the rpg until it came to an epic battle, and then set up for the mass battle. I remember saying it would be cool if someone (other than me!) would come up with a mass battle system that was intentionally designed to inject into an ongoing rpg, allowing characters to have more of a part in it. I am really, really geeked about it.

It is way cool that the battle scenarios will be a Crusader feature. I am looking forward to running the I series with these rules as well. That being said, I am writing an Airhde series that has mass battles in them, and was a little worried about how to play them out, so this is a very timely release for me personally. I am running one at GenCon, so I will be making use of it there.

It would be cool to see future TLG module releases have mass battles, large skirmishes, and so on in the story line, specifically designed to be used with Fields of Battle.

Looking forward to it!

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Boxes are done and we'll pick them up on Monday.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com