Available Now {10-12-09} Of Gods & Monsters

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

I just finished the Greeks, lots of adamantine in those boys. Now I have to work up the halflings so they aren't confused with the Gnomes. That's tougher than you might think.

James M. Ward

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

This is definately right at the top of my must have list along with the CKG.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Please tell me there will be evil deities for both gnomes and halflings. One thing I have never been particularly fond of has been the near lack of anything remotely resembling dualistic tendencies in these races -- it makes rationalizing them very difficult, to say the least.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The Crusader idea rocks! I definitely support it, and will renew my sub ASAP. Hopefully the first week of January.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

People,

I listen to everything you say on these forums. As I look through the finished Gnome section I take to heart what Serleran requests in wanting an evil gnome, but I didn't do one. I have neutral ones and chaotic good ones, but no evil ones. It's because I can't see the gnomish race having evil characters. In my "Polly Anna" campaign gaming style there isn't a gnome in any universe that's evil in alignment. So why would they want an evil deity to worship? Now I don't need thousands of players saying they run evil gnomes all the time. You people can do anything you want, which is why role-playing is so much fun. I have written the gnomish deities in an unusual style and I'm hoping even Serleran will agree with my picks.

Haflings however I have no problem creating an evil deity or two. I've met some mighty nasty haflings and through the Dark Sun Campaign some cannibale ones. Please feel free to keep throwing out suggestions.

James M. Ward

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I suppose evil gnomes depends on where one draws the inspiration and what one considers a gnome. For example, if they are fantasized versions of certain characters from Northern Europe, like, say, Rumpelstiltskin, it is not a far stretch to get an evil version, or even if one considers them less dreadful than a kobold, but that can get boring to have all the "sub-faeries" acting the same. So, I look forward to what has become of the poor, oft mistreated, gnome.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I am ready to pre-order this book ASAP

Craig_in_ACT
Mist Elf

Buggarup - Gnomish God of Malfunctions

Post by Craig_in_ACT »

I'd love to see, at least a slightly evil god - such as Buggarup, the Gnomish God of Malfunctions
When I say "slightly evil", I mean in the fashion of Dcotor Evil describing his son as "the Diet Coke of Evil. Just one colorie, but just not evil enough..."

Craig J. Brain

Hammer

Re: Buggarup - Gnomish God of Malfunctions

Post by Hammer »

Craig_in_ACT wrote:
I'd love to see, at least a slightly evil god - such as Buggarup, the Gnomish God of Malfunctions
When I say "slightly evil", I mean in the fashion of Dcotor Evil describing his son as "the Diet Coke of Evil. Just one colorie, but just not evil enough..."

Craig J. Brain

Might be a good ... err ... "slightly evil" candidate for a Crusader article?

How about it Jim?

Hammer

Minister of War

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

Hmmmmmmmm, I will make you both a deal. I really want you to read the gnomish deities as I have written them. If you still feel there needs to be some nastiness going on I will write a group of five more deities all with evil intent, but I'm betting you won't want them when you see what I have done.

I'm working hard on the halfling deities even now and hope to finish them today.

James M. Ward

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Sounds great, sir!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

James M. Ward wrote:
Hmmmmmmmm, I will make you both a deal. I really want you to read the gnomish deities as I have written them. If you still feel there needs to be some nastiness going on I will write a group of five more deities all with evil intent, but I'm betting you won't want them when you see what I have done.

I'm working hard on the halfling deities even now and hope to finish them today.

James M. Ward

Hey Jim

All your time, effort and hard work on this project is greatly appreciated and your deal is both intriguing and acceptable!

Looking forward to the finished product and the pre-order announcement soon!

Thanks!

Hammer

Minister of War

Craig_in_ACT
Mist Elf

Post by Craig_in_ACT »

James M. Ward wrote:

James M. Ward

Jim,

That's incredibly generous!

Craig J. Brain

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

Hurray!

I just finished the Halfling Pantheon. Yes, there are some evil halfling deities, even though they were hard to write. I'm on to the Humanoid pantheon, only five more left and this manuscript is done!

James M. Ward

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Humanoid covers all the monstrous races such as orc, kobold, and the like? This sounds like it'll need a lot of Crusader submissions as each could easily be a chapter of its own.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

James M. Ward wrote:
Hurray!

I just finished the Halfling Pantheon. Yes, there are some evil halfling deities, even though they were hard to write. I'm on to the Humanoid pantheon, only five more left and this manuscript is done!

James M. Ward
serleran wrote:
Humanoid covers all the monstrous races such as orc, kobold, and the like? This sounds like it'll need a lot of Crusader submissions as each could easily be a chapter of its own.

I read it as meaning he had the humanoid pantheons, meaning five humanoid pantheons (goblin, kobold, orc, hobgobling, and bugbear, perhaps?) and then the book was done. I'm just speculating, so perhaps the esteemed Mr. Ward can clarify that for us.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

I am still working from the outline I posted back a couple of pages in this post. What I have left to do is the following:

Humanoid Pantheon (Kobold, Goblin, Orc, Ogre, Lizardfolk, Hobgoblins)

India Pantheon

Japanese Pantheon

Norse Pantheon

Roman Pantheon

James M. Ward

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

It'll certainly be entertaining to see how you accomplished getting a single, compound, "humanoid pantheon" especially since they seem so at odds with each other under normal assumptions. Very interesting, Jim. That's the part that I want to see first.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

*chuckles* Course a Chinese pantheon would take a 200 page book of its own. 10,000 god and demi god beings in the celestial bureaucracy.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yeah, but when it comes to China, there are only a few relatively major deities that most people are going to want -- the dragons, the lord of the dead, etc, etc. But, that also depends on what religion, since China has a few (Shinto, Buddhism, etc etc.) There are also a lot of heroes...

So, it'll be fun to see what was dropped, and what was decided important. However, I think the hardest part will be coalescing the "humanoids" together...

Oh, on eoher question -- there's an elf entry I presume, but is there material on Drow? I would love to see a completely new spin on the old, at this point, clich, spider-loving.

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

There are some female elves that the Drow love, but I try not to mention the Drow for other reasons. While there was one reference outside of TSR on the Drow, most of the references are made up by TSR.

Jim

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

I just finished the humanoid pantheon, man it was a lot of work. You would think when you can make everything up it would be quicker and easier, but it seems the historical ones all took shorter times. I'm on the India one now, I've finished 11 of these and have 4 more to do.

James M. Ward

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

As serleran has said, I'm interested in seeing a combined humanoid pantheon. I'm sure it'll be an interesting take!

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

What I did on the humanoid pantheon was to present two of each race, two orcs, two kobolds, two ogres, etc. Then I said that any orc could worship a kobold god and gain its faith powers, all they had to do was turn the kobold into an orc image. So they said it was an orc they were worshiping even though it started out a kobold.

James M. Ward

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

That should prove to be a nice read. Were trolls included, per chance? If not, no big deal. I think I'll wait for the book to be released, read it, and then possibly submit something to Crusader. Assuming my words would be welcome in the esteemed pages once more.

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

I'm very careful when I deal with Trolls in any way. it is my belief that trolls from the Troll Lord company should be extremely special products. I didn't work with trolls and their deities, but because of that fact.

James M. Ward

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Ya, those Troll Lords can be hard to put into perspective. Even for an artist.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

I am very happy to say I just turned over the India Pantheon and I'm starting the Japanese Pantheon as we speak. That means I only have the Japanese, Norse, and Roman pantheons to do and I will be done! I'm a tad behind as I should have been done by now, but it will make its release date.

James M. Ward

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

James M. Ward wrote:
I am very happy to say I just turned over the India Pantheon and I'm starting the Japanese Pantheon as we speak. That means I only have the Japanese, Norse, and Roman pantheons to do and I will be done! I'm a tad behind as I should have been done by now, but it will make its release date.

James M. Ward

Awesome news. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see this one.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

James,

Your hard is very much appreciated, you probably don't get told that enough, but it is.
Can't wait to see this one!

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour