TLG 8130 Codex Celtarum

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

TLG 8130 Codex Celtarum

Post by Troll Lord »

TLG 8130 Codex Celtarum
Product Type/Format & Price: 8.5 x 11 Perfect Bound, 144 pages; $24.99 (est)
Ordering Info: TLG 8130, ISBN 978-1-936822-55-3

Beyond the comforts of home lie worlds of epic adventure.
Druids have surmised that before the present Universe there was a Disharmonious Void that once existed. Torn by destructive chaos and strife, it was devoid of any creative powers and life completely. Nothing could exist in this Disharmonious Void. It was death for the dead in essence and completely uninspired. A spark of Inspiration or Awen, called the Great Spark, blazing red and shaped like a thunder-bolt, tore its way through the blackness with fury. The Fire of Creation split the shapeless Void into the (as yet empty) Three Circles (Trí Fáine) that were anchored around one magnificent, growing oak tree. This tree was the first in the Universe, and under its immense leafy crown hung golden acorns, swollen with potency.

A Celtic Cromlech

The druids dwelt in a world wholly apart from our own, a world that comes down to us in the stones of the cromlech, the wild burnings of the wicker man, the priests who called on ancient trees and fey to bless or defend them and a language of such haunting beauty that its echoes stir memories within us of a people we once were.

The Codex Celtarum delves into the myths of the Celtic peoples, the powers of the world around them, the monsters that hunted them, and the gods that watched over them. Its author, Brian Young, a scholar by trade, introduces the Celtic mythos like never before, exploring the depths of that world to recast it for the fantasy RPG Castles & Crusades. Within the Codex Celtarum lies a wealth of information; gaming material that blows new life into the world of the fey, the druid, the ranger and all characters whose travels carry them through the wooded hills, broken crags and dark forests of our primeval imagings.

More than Myths and Gods
The Codex Celtarum contains a veritable host of gaming material. New spells for your druid, new powers for your characters, combat, and more, within the Codex Celtarum you’ll find:

190 new druidic spells
90 gods and monsters from the Celtic mythos
150 powers for the fey monsters

Expand your character! With fey blood in your veins you too can possess the powers of the fey. Or even adopt new races for your game. The elder gods possessed powers of surpassing wonder and left a world with all manner of strange incarnations, those are yours to bring to life.

Codex Celtarum comes complete in seven glorious, fun filled, fact packed chapters. Chapter 1 covers a complete history of the Celtic world view. Chapter 2 delves into the world of fey. Chapter 3 presents races and monsters. Chapter 4 covers mountains of new spells and magical abilities. Chapter 5 tackles the lords of war. Chapter 6 looks at the gods themselves. Chapter 7 yields new material for the Castle Keeper.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Re: TLG 8130 Codex Druidum

Post by Troll Lord »

This book brings to fruition a pet project of mine, started in 2001 with a book called the Codex Germania. I intended to launch a whole series of books on the mythos of ancient cultures.

Well it has come to pass. Codex Druidum has landed on my desk complete and ready for editing. Peter has sketched concept sketches for the cover and I fully intend for this work to be out by Christmas.

Brian is hard at work on Codex Germania even now.

Trollzah!
Steve

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

These sound awesome! Can't wait! If successful, after that might I suggest a Codex Greece and a Codex Persia?
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

That sounds awesome.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

why do you want to make me poor!

:D
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

Looking forward to it! Sounds like fun. :)

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

this is TOO Cool.
but everything else on teh Anvil looks totally sweet also!
Bill D.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

1-800-DRUIDIA

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

"Ohh, just what we need. A Druish princess."
"Funny. She doesn't look Druish."

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Nice. Looking forward to the pre-order.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Grumble.... I thought I had all the books I needed. :)

-Mike

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

This seems to be a marriage between Celtic society and the Druid class. Or, a book giving the chance to charge-up the Druid.

I don't know how you could do the same for the Bard, but if you ask me it'd be nice to have a similar book that "charges-up" the Bard. I personally think this class desperately needs it as it is probably the least chosen of all the classes and could benefit from having a book like Codex Druidum.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

air...
AIR!

LOL
Bill D.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

A Celtic Cromlech
The druids dwelt in a world wholly apart from our own, a world that comes down to us in the stones of the cromlech, the wild burnings of the wicker man, the priests who called on ancient trees and fey to bless or defend them and a language of such haunting beauty that its echoes stir memories within us of a people we once were.

The Codex Druidum delves into the myths of the Celtic peoples, the powers of the world around them, the monsters that hunted them, and the gods that watched over them
COOL!!!
a pet project of mine, started in 2001 with a book called the Codex Germania. I intended to launch a whole series of books on the mythos of ancient cultures
Double and triple COOL!!!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Codex Germania done! Now to go through it and perfect it...it is freaking amazing!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Codex Scandia :?:

:D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Well, in it is Scandinavia, Germania, Anglo-Saxon Britain and all things Germanic, especially the mythical Nine Worlds. The strongest element IS Nordic since that is where we have the most and best documented information. It is a 'wow' thing too! 8-)

Nitehood
Skobbit

Post by Nitehood »

WOOT! I am ready for it! When will it be out?

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

At GenCon, I told Steve that the Celtic (Druidum) and Germania books were just what I have been looking for to use with my C&C endeavors. I'm excited to even type this post about getting my hands on those bits of gaming goodness! :lol:
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Very interesting series getting ready to launch here.

I was a fan of Green Ronin's Mythic Vista series with Eternal Rome, Trojan War, Egyptian Adventures, Medieval Players Manual, and Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era (which covered Babylonian, Cannanite, Egyptian and Hebrew cultures). I had high hopes for Highmoon Media/Games when they started moving forward with support and their Targum Magazine and the proposed Terra Mythical line, but alas, High Moon's website hasn't had any updates in quite a while. Certainly much of Green Ronin Mythic Vista & High Moons stuff is available in PDF which is always an option.

Anyway, I think the SIEGE engine & C&C can really capture the feel for these cultures and I'd love to see the Trolls them with Codex. Any chance at that?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I would like to see a Codex Arabia.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

serleran wrote:I would like to see a Codex Arabia.
Me too, and that maybe a possibility. Judging from how well the first two Codices go, a long list is possible. I envisioned doing a Classical (Greek/Etruscan/Roman) Codex next and/or a Slavic one as well. I would like to see a Mesopotamian Codex that would involve Sumeria, Babylon, Assyria, Hittites and the later Arabian cultures so...if the Head Troll Lord gives it a go, expect to see it soon! :ugeek:

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

just got the latest Troll's Anvil email update. It's great to see all the creativity pouring from the dens. I'm proud to say my two 5th-printing PHs have arrived and are looking fine.

I have one suggestion, though. "Codexi" sounds a bit strange ... since the plural of the Latin 'codex' is 'codices'.

It may not may not matter much as this is fantasy, but in case it does I hope someone is listening.
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I've mentioned my personal preference against the name as well, for what its worth. I know the Trolls have had a "codex" plan for many years, well back into the early d20 days at the old, old forums.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

I hesitate to criticize, but since the 'look' of the codex series seems to be latinate [e.g., 'codex' + 'genitive plural of noun in question'], it might be advisable to emulate Latin as much as is possible.

The problem that I see with "codexi" is that it makes it look like the Trolls *think* they are using Latin, when in fact they aren't. I guess I just don't see the value of wanting to appear Latinate and then messing up the Latin.

But that's just my opinion, and, as I said above, in fantasy there's a long tradition of twisting 'real' linguistic structures into fantasy ones.

Glad to know that you've already spoken up about this, Serleran.

Edit: fixed first sentence to reflect down-thread revelations!
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If this is any indication, "druidum" is not a "made up word" necessarily, but I would tend to agree with you in that the Latin phrasing seems odd. My "objection" is more in the aesthetic of the title, in that it rolls clunky off the tongue, but maybe I'm just being obstinate.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

well I'll be! So it is, Serleran. And, in fact, my Lewis and Short conveniently gives the following entry:

Druides, -um (Druidae, -arum). So the genitive plural (masc.) is druidum, making "Codex Druidum" correct. I retract any objection to that phrase!

All the more reason, then, to use the correct Latin plural of codex (i.e., 'codices' and not 'codexi').

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Geleg wrote:well I'll be! So it is, Serleran. And, in fact, my Lewis and Short conveniently gives the following entry:

Druides, -um (Druidae, -arum). So the genitive plural (masc.) is druidum, making "Codex Druidum" correct. I retract any objection to that phrase!

All the more reason, then, to use the correct Latin plural of codex (i.e., 'codices' and not 'codexi').
I made sure that if we were to use Latin, it would be correct. I prefer using Celtic personally. I think Steve just used the plural, Codices, incorrectly by mistake in the newsletter. So, you are right, 'Druidum' is right in this! Never fear, we DO take that seriously before publication.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Whats in a name?

Personally I've never given thought to the origins of a name that graces rpg's. Some are good some are questionable and some are just bad. I don't have any need to see if the name was "right" in its usage and more about the appeal. I happen to like the name and I suspect that there will be other similar books starting with "Codex" which is fine with me as each similar book I'd have a good idea what would be in it, in regards to Codex Druidum.

Still the thread is somewhat interesting as I follow it.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Sir Ironside wrote:Whats in a name?

Personally I've never given thought to the origins of a name that graces rpg's. Some are good some are questionable and some are just bad. I don't have any need to see if the name was "right" in its usage and more about the appeal. I happen to like the name and I suspect that there will be other similar books starting with "Codex" which is fine with me as each similar book I'd have a good idea what would be in it, in regards to Codex Druidum.

Still the thread is somewhat interesting as I follow it.
Good point and you are right Ironside! The next to follow is Codex Germania, and that is already written! After that I can only guess but we have some possible options...