My thoughts...

A place to discuss the newly formed Portal subscription service -- Through the Portal you will find everything you need to play a game of Castles & Crusades, Amazing Adventures, Tainted Lands and all the games TLG creates and all future content.
Treebore
Mogrl

My thoughts...

Post by Treebore »

I also posted this in the G+ community. Feel free to share it on Facebook, etc... I only go to G+.

The Portal. OK, I've played with it through two game sessions now. It is very cool, but more importantly to me, its fast. It seriously cuts down the time it takes me to look up spells, gear, racial abilities, and class abilities, and this is with still TONS more to come. Instead of paging through a book or PDF, I just look at the icons, and click on the one I need, then a main window, with nice artwork, comes up with tabs to go to even more specific items. So within seconds, I am reading the info I need, and getting back to the game. If your like me, and hate anything that interrupts the "flow" of your game session, your going to love how much this will reduce the time you spend looking up information you suddenly need. Last night I was playing in Roll 20, and just to keep me from having to switch from one window to another, I set up my laptop next to my desk top with The Portal open. I was able to get the info on my spells (I'm playing a Cleric) far faster than when even using my book, and I never felt like my focus was broken with regards to keeping track of what was going on in game, and what was being said by my fellow players. I even now have this saved on my Tablet phone, because this is going to be a HUGE help at Convention games, or games I play over at my kids house, etc... This is with me being one of those people that HATES to read from a PDF. This set up is actually quick and very useful, as only a well hyperlinked PDF, that we never get, could be. So whenever you decide to check it out, now, or after they get the TONS more material uploaded, I think you will quickly come to like this as much as I have.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: My thoughts...

Post by Buttmonkey »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been on the fence. If it's that quick, TLG may just get my $6 per month. My main concern is what happens when I lose access to the internet. My tablet does not have cell access, so I can only use the internet on it if I have access to a wireless network. I'm curious how well the Portal works on a cell phone.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been on the fence. If it's that quick, TLG may just get my $6 per month. My main concern is what happens when I lose access to the internet. My tablet does not have cell access, so I can only use the internet on it if I have access to a wireless network. I'm curious how well the Portal works on a cell phone.
I have a larger "cell phone", its called a Tablet/Phone, IE I can call from it (Verizon), a "Phablet". Anyways, its pretty much made for touch screen devices. Meaning The Portal. I don't know if they have an option for saving it for off line use. We'd have to ask Tim about that.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

<sigh>

Probably not Low vision accessible. :P

Ah, the joy of being 5-7 years behind everyone else in tech.

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

After much longer use, I can say I am now in the "habit" of using the Portal. However, I wish Tim and the Trolls would make a concerted effort to add to the program much more regularly. They have much of what you would reference while playing C&C and AA up here, and some content beyond that, but they still have a looooooong ways to go to provide what they promised when they launched this. For paid subscription service, the failure to provide in a timely manner will kill the support for this. Hek, I know a fair number who have said they will wait for it to be fully done before bothering to subscribe. IF the Trolls take anywhere NEAR the time they have taken to do, say, Aihrde, the Backpack, or Tome of the Unclean, they will kill The Portal before it even gets fully alive.

Subscribers should be seeing visible additional content to this at least every couple of weeks.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Just resurrecting this thread as we all need a little Treebore...