View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:54 am



Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD 
Author Message
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Treebore wrote:
This is what my character is trying to look like, via his visible manifestations of his Psycho-Kinesis. Obviously he can't look quit that real, or good, but this is the imagery I am going for.


I know we talked about his limbs and that they were psycho-kinetic.

It got me thinking today about whether or not the bad guys should be given saves as to whether or not they can believe what they are seeing.

Mebbe saves should be given vs. mesmerism, phantasms and other skills.

Thoughts?

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:56 pm
Profile
Unkbartig

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:38 pm
Posts: 862
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Hey all,

I'm willing to come onto Skype to chat most any evening to help overcome confusion...Though I'm concerned that the reason there is confusion is because perhaps my descriptions in the rules need elaborating?

Tree, Here's the writeup for primes:

Prime (Variable): The hero with the "Prime" skill has trained with the capabilities of one of their attributes to a level of mastery rarely seen among common folk. However it is possible for normal people to attain this ability and so it is considered a skill instead of a power. The hero taking this skill must choose one of the six attributes that they have trained to a "Prime" level. As a result, whenever the hero takes damage that the Campaign Keeper determines that the hero's prime attribute could mitigate its effects, the hero may make a "saving throw" using that attribute and the points in the skill. If the check succeeds, the inflicted damage (defined as damage that has gotten past any defenses) is halved in its effect.

I assume you're referring to the part ...saving throw" using that attribute and the points in the skill."? If so, apologies and that's my bad. Skills originally had a range of points but later I dropped that to better fit with the C&C use of skills/class abilities.

Its not important, but I'd originally had primes as a power but wanted to move it to skills so that it'd be easy for a Grim chronicle to just say "No Supernatural Powers" and still leave primes open for folks.

Either way, I'll put it into the edits before the book comes out "in print." :)

Mike

_________________
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com


Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:25 pm
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
DMMike wrote:
Hey all,

I'm willing to come onto Skype to chat most any evening to help overcome confusion...Though I'm concerned that the reason there is confusion is because perhaps my descriptions in the rules need elaborating?

Tree, Here's the writeup for primes:

Prime (Variable): The hero with the "Prime" skill has trained with the capabilities of one of their attributes to a level of mastery rarely seen among common folk. However it is possible for normal people to attain this ability and so it is considered a skill instead of a power. The hero taking this skill must choose one of the six attributes that they have trained to a "Prime" level. As a result, whenever the hero takes damage that the Campaign Keeper determines that the hero's prime attribute could mitigate its effects, the hero may make a "saving throw" using that attribute and the points in the skill. If the check succeeds, the inflicted damage (defined as damage that has gotten past any defenses) is halved in its effect.

I assume you're referring to the part ...saving throw" using that attribute and the points in the skill."? If so, apologies and that's my bad. Skills originally had a range of points but later I dropped that to better fit with the C&C use of skills/class abilities.

Its not important, but I'd originally had primes as a power but wanted to move it to skills so that it'd be easy for a Grim chronicle to just say "No Supernatural Powers" and still leave primes open for folks.

Either way, I'll put it into the edits before the book comes out "in print." :)

Mike


Yes, that is what I was talking about.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:42 pm
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Rhuvein wrote:
Treebore wrote:
This is what my character is trying to look like, via his visible manifestations of his Psycho-Kinesis. Obviously he can't look quit that real, or good, but this is the imagery I am going for.


I know we talked about his limbs and that they were psycho-kinetic.

It got me thinking today about whether or not the bad guys should be given saves as to whether or not they can believe what they are seeing.

Mebbe saves should be given vs. mesmerism, phantasms and other skills.

Thoughts?


Psycho Kinetic is very real. The look of my arms is just "dressing", so they can disbelieve that they really look that way, but they will still feel the real grabbing, punching, and throwing of the power. If you don't want me to have 4 arms I can go with just one.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:44 pm
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Treebore wrote:
Doctor Octavious Oppenheimer (Octo) (Supers name: The Octopus)
Class: Psychic


OK, still studying the rules and your char . . .

I believe your class is hynotist and you've chosen the theme package (as psychic), correct?

I'm seeing several mentions of attribute checks and saving throws against psychic attacks. The examples seem to use the hero as the example of trying to resist the attacks, so I'm thinking the same rules should allow bad guys to resist as well.

Whadaya all think about this?

:)

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:45 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
DMMike wrote:
Hey all,

I'm willing to come onto Skype to chat most any evening to help overcome confusion...Though I'm concerned that the reason there is confusion is because perhaps my descriptions in the rules need elaborating?



It could be . . . or it's some matters of interpretation and perhaps you could clarify some issues. Even if out group gets this sorted out, I think we all would love to have you join the chat for some discussion and of course, we'll be glad to meet you . . as it were!

:D

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:50 am
Profile
Unkbartig

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:38 pm
Posts: 862
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
In that case my Skype name is Mike-D-Stewart1 with none of the "-"s (all 1 word).

Mike

_________________
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com


Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:39 am
Profile
Ulthal
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 12:29 am
Posts: 722
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Rhuvein wrote:
DMMike wrote:
Hey all,

I'm willing to come onto Skype to chat most any evening to help overcome confusion...Though I'm concerned that the reason there is confusion is because perhaps my descriptions in the rules need elaborating?



It could be . . . or it's some matters of interpretation and perhaps you could clarify some issues. Even if out group gets this sorted out, I think we all would love to have you join the chat for some discussion and of course, we'll be glad to meet you . . as it were!

:D


For DMMIke: Please don't worry that you've been unclear. These games tend to be a little complicated and require careful reading.

For Rhuvein: I do have one concern about healing being based on the Con modifier.

"The number of Hit Points a Hero can recover daily
is equal to the Hero’s Constitution attribute bonus.
Medicine skill or the Healing power can improve this
rate. Attribute damage is recovered at 1 point per day of
rest, but only Healing can improve this rate."

My CON is 0. So unless we roleplay a trip to the Hospital I might never heal up. I guess a smarter player would have read the rule first and made sure her CON reflected that fact. oops
Would you consider a house rule that allows 1 point per day with the CON bonus (if any) added on?


Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:46 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
DMMike wrote:
In that case my Skype name is Mike-D-Stewart1 with none of the "-"s (all 1 word).

Mike


Thank you sir!

From a not too genteel magistrate that carries double barreled derringers that extend from under my suit sleeves into my hands ~ Count Rhuvein . . . who also represents what may be the final playtest group before production release and humbly asks if Michael might consider adding our names to the playtest credits!

This I ask on behalf of this group who are really kicking the tires on this hansom cab of a game!!

:)

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:06 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Penny-Whistle wrote:
My CON is 0. So unless we roleplay a trip to the Hospital I might never heal up. I guess a smarter player would have read the rule first and made sure her CON reflected that fact. oops
Would you consider a house rule that allows 1 point per day with the CON bonus (if any) added on?


Yes, let me review damage/healing.

I thought I posted something above somewhere - per Mike's rules that a hero going down to 0 is unconscious and not dead ~ which I like ala C&C. So perhaps healing might be a little different in this game depending on how the damage/wounding occurred.

So your char down to 0, just may be tired from melee fighting, knocked-out or rendered down to the ground from some other magicks. And salts, splashing water or cold compresses and/or a wee thimble of whiskey down the gullet may easily awaken you or any of the PCs, while restoring HPs quickly.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:14 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Scene . . . Garrick Club, 15 Garrick Street - Convent Garden:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson sit in a private booth along with Sir Reginald Ramsgate, Count Rhuvein, Jack London and Yevgeny Svetlanov.

Smoke fills the air at the booth and around the club as the waiters serve dessert and cheeses and fill glasses at the table.

“Thank you Sir Reginald, that is an excellent port . . I can’t recall ever having a better one.” says Holmes between puffs on his pipe.
Sir Reginald sips from his glass and replies, “Indeed, it is my favourite vintage ~ 1857”

“I prefer the ’56, Sir Reginald . . . shall we compare?” says Count Rhuvein – “but this year is certainly masterful! I thank you, sir for this selection.”

The Count signals to the nearby wine master and orders a Taylor's Single Harvest Port 1863 instead of the ‘56 and the steward smiles and nods visibly pleased.

The young Mr. London sits quietly taking all the activity in stride and seemingly recording it in his mind. He sips his port slowly but pays attention to everything said and done by his elders at the table.

Dr. Watson looks at Yevgeny Svetlanov, who is slowly and deliberately smoking his pipe and comments, “I say, Svetlanov – you have been most quiet Sir!”

The Russian expatriate starts when he hears his name, and looks up, “Indeed, Dr. Watson. This strange business regarding Mister Hyde has got me unnerved!” as he sips his port.

Both Holmes and Sir Reginald look at Svenlanov, “Dr. Watson, I’m sure your colleague Dr. Jeckyll can shed some light on this mystery. It seems that the recent murder took place down the street from his laboratory.” says Sir Reginald as he swirls and then finishes his glass and nods to Count Rhuvein . . “My dear Count, I’m now convinced that the ’63 is the finest port of all time. I propose a toast!” The Knight of Queen Victoria stands and raises his glass – “To your health Count Rhuvein!”

All rise and toast and drink while the Count professes his thanks to all and exclaims, “Gentleman, I am having a masquerade ball at my castle on the next full moon and I invite you to join me in celebration of the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

And my friend from Paris, Monsieur Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec will exhibit his paintings before the ball begins!

Oh, and the great Camille Saint-Saens will perform a tone poem at midnight!”

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:18 am
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
An NPC I made up for the heck of it:

Image
Claudia “Longarm” Pachico
Class: Sniper Theme

S: 14 (+1)
D: 19 (+3) Prime
C: 16 (+2)
I: 17 (+2)
W: 18 (+3)
Ch: 16 (+2) Prime

Init: +5
Actions: 3/2
Level 1
AC: 11
Defenses: None
Alignment: Neutral
Experience:
Victory Points: None
Funds: 6
HP: 36

SKILLS:
Melee (1)
Firearms (1)
Acrobatics (1)
Target (2)

SHORTCOMINGS
Enemy (The Shield)
Secret Identity
Weakness (Lead)


POWERS
Knack (2) +6 to Firearms skill
Intuition (2)
Luck (2) +5 to 2 rolls per “scene”
Lightning Speed (2)
Potence (1) Add 1 damage die to any firearms damage dice. 1D6 becomes 2d6, 1d8 becomes 2d8, etc…
Keen Sight (Telescopic Vison) (1)
Bought a +5 to DEX, bought a Prime


EQUIPMENT:

Leather Coat, AC 12
Bolt Action Rifle, 1d10 Damage, 2D10 for Claudia (Potence), 5 Shots
Revolver, 1d6 Damage, 2d6 for Claudia, 5 shots
25 rounds of ammo for both guns

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:10 am
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
I'm going to have to do one for this image:

Image

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:20 am
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Going to have to do something for this one as well, Villain is written all over this image...

Image

Death Machine (Dr. Luther Strange)
Class: Undead Theme

S: 14 (+1)
D: 24 (+5) Prime
C: 21 (+4)
I: 17 (+2)
W: 18 (+3)
Ch: 16 (+2)

Init: +5
Actions: 2
Level 12
AC: 25
Defenses: Armor, as below
Alignment: Evil
Experience:
Victory Points: None
Funds: 6,000 pounds
HP: 130

SKILLS:
Melee (3)
Firearms (3)
Acrobatics (1)
Target (2)

SHORTCOMINGS
Enemy (The Holy Orders)
Enemy (Humanity)
Enemy (Police)
Weakness (Holy Water)
Weakness (Silver)
Inhuman
Notorious
Odd Appearance

POWERS
Armor (4) +10 to Temporal, +10 versus Mystical/magic
Might (3) 1D10 base damage, 4d10 with Potence.
Etherealness (2)
Intuition (2)
Climate Resistance (5)
Lightning Speed (4)
Potence (3) Add 3 damage die to any Physical blow. 1D6 becomes 4d6, 1d8 becomes 4d8, etc…
Keen Sight (Ultra Violet Vision) (1)
Attribute: +10 to DEX, +5 to Constitution


EQUIPMENT:
Revolver, 1d6 Damage, 5 shots
25 rounds of ammo

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:25 am
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
This one too! I need to stop looking! So much cool looking inspiration!

Image

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:29 am
Profile
Unkbartig

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:38 pm
Posts: 862
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Well, Treebore's already in there but I'm sure it wouldn't bother him to be listed twice. ;)

I'll have to see if TLG will let me change it so close to publishing, but I don't have a problem with listing you guys!

Genteel Magistrate (and overalll credit-giver where its due) Michael
Mike

_________________
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com


Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:52 pm
Profile
Ulthal
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 12:29 am
Posts: 722
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
DMMike wrote:
Well, Treebore's already in there but I'm sure it wouldn't bother him to be listed twice. ;)

I'll have to see if TLG will let me change it so close to publishing, but I don't have a problem with listing you guys!

Genteel Magistrate (and overalll credit-giver where its due) Michael
Mike



Oh gosh. That's sweet but please don't list me. We haven't even played a full game yet.


Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:49 pm
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Great images . . except the monkey! Very creepy . . unless the party travels to the Island of Dr. Moreau! ;)

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:50 pm
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Treebore wrote:
url=http://s275.photobucket.com/user/Treebore/media/www.steampunktendencies.com_zpsqozuugbo.jpg.html]Image[/url]


She can play violin . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsYMD620-u4

:shock:

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:51 pm
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
NPC:

Gunter Haas, Scandinavian Practitioner of the Arcane Arts

Heavily accented, silver-tongued and quick-fingered. Fond of performing amazing feats of magic before astounded audiences. Hires out as a sort of "psychic consulting detective." Ostentatious, self-assured and self-aggrandizing. Used to collecting fair sums from the idle rich and not having to produce much but a few showy tricks and vague psychic "revelations".

Under pressure, however, say, when faced with an actual supernatural threat, Gunter's accent disappears and he flees. If cornered he will fight, with a pistol, a knife or his fists. When confronted, he admits to being plain old Gunther Hayes from Akron, Ohio, USA. Not an actual sorcerer but a grifter and con man who decided to start fleecing the rich when he got tired of the very real dangers that came with fleecing the poor and desperate. His previous life as a street criminal, pickpocket and con man has left him with a very valuable skillset. Keenly observant, intuitive and very good at reading people. Skilled pickpocket, lockpick, forger, trickster, gambler(while smart and skillful, he still cheats) and thief.

Quite capable in armed and unarmed combat (a necessity of his profession, especially before he moved among society types), although he prefers not to. It's not that Gunter is cowardly, not entirely anyway. It's just that fighting is hard work, and Gunter is a man who has always sought the easy dollar. Has many contacts in the most exclusive of social circles and knows many of their secrets.

Gunter is a lonely man, however. He is always putting on an act, and as a consequence, he can never really get close to anyone. And while he tells himself that everyone else is just a potential mark and that he doesn't want or need to know anyone, or for them to know him, Gunter aches with loneliness. Some part of him would like to give up his dishonest ways, but he fears that he has no lucrative skills.

Submitted by our gaming friend, Gringnr!

Well done!

:)

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:23 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
A great link suggested by Gringnr:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Nichol

Many thanks! :)

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:26 am
Profile
Ulthal
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 12:29 am
Posts: 722
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Rhuvein wrote:
NPC:

Gunter Haas, Scandinavian Practitioner of the Arcane Arts

Heavily accented, silver-tongued and quick-fingered. Fond of performing amazing feats of magic before astounded audiences. Hires out as a sort of "psychic consulting detective." Ostentatious, self-assured and self-aggrandizing. Used to collecting fair sums from the idle rich and not having to produce much but a few showy tricks and vague psychic "revelations".

Under pressure, however, say, when faced with an actual supernatural threat, Gunter's accent disappears and he flees. If cornered he will fight, with a pistol, a knife or his fists. When confronted, he admits to being plain old Gunther Hayes from Akron, Ohio, USA. Not an actual sorcerer but a grifter and con man who decided to start fleecing the rich when he got tired of the very real dangers that came with fleecing the poor and desperate. His previous life as a street criminal, pickpocket and con man has left him with a very valuable skillset. Keenly observant, intuitive and very good at reading people. Skilled pickpocket, lockpick, forger, trickster, gambler(while smart and skillful, he still cheats) and thief.

Quite capable in armed and unarmed combat (a necessity of his profession, especially before he moved among society types), although he prefers not to. It's not that Gunter is cowardly, not entirely anyway. It's just that fighting is hard work, and Gunter is a man who has always sought the easy dollar. Has many contacts in the most exclusive of social circles and knows many of their secrets.

Gunter is a lonely man, however. He is always putting on an act, and as a consequence, he can never really get close to anyone. And while he tells himself that everyone else is just a potential mark and that he doesn't want or need to know anyone, or for them to know him, Gunter aches with loneliness. Some part of him would like to give up his dishonest ways, but he fears that he has no lucrative skills.

Submitted by our gaming friend, Gringnr!

Well done!

:)


Wow. I'd really like to see Gringnr play this guy.


Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:00 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Rhuvein wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Doctor Octavious Oppenheimer (Octo) (Supers name: The Octopus)
Class: Psychic


OK, still studying the rules and your char . . .

I believe your class is hynotist and you've chosen the theme package (as psychic), correct?

I'm seeing several mentions of attribute checks and saving throws against psychic attacks. The examples seem to use the hero as the example of trying to resist the attacks, so I'm thinking the same rules should allow bad guys to resist as well.

Whadaya all think about this?

:)


Bump!

I think this post might be interesting for our group and when we meet Friday night.

Thanks. :)

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:55 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Session I - London Calling

The adventurers:

Aergraith as:

Detective Chief Inspector Evelyn St. John St. James (Alias: Justus X. Nihilo), inquiry agent

Treebore as:

Doctor Octavious Oppenheimer (Octo) aka: The Octopus)
Class: Psychic

Penny as:

Wellington, Vigilante. Member of the Baker Street Irregulars.


The action:

London, England . . . early evening on a Friday late September – 1887.

It’s a noisy town and very busy it seems, as it always is.

Hansom cabs race through the streets while people, businessmen and families stroll along the sidewalks. Most are now in a hurry to get home as it’s getting very dark and the fog is setting in ~ the lamblighters are busy at their tasks.

Police whistles blow with regularity as the bobbies run hither and thither.

The newsboys are on every corner hawking their papers with the latest happenings in this large metropolis including the recent murder of a women, who was robbed and had her throat slashed. This, only after the second one that happended several months previous.

Thunder is heard and there are electrical storms in the skies. The electrical charges in the sky are ominous. but it seems they pass to the north of the city illuminating the skies but offering no threat.

In many areas of the city a violin can be heard playing Danse Macabre by the French composer Camille Saint-Saëns. The sound in one area seems to disseminate from a basement, or the underground. In other sections of London the music appears to come from a rooftop.

Many strollers on the boulevards stop and look up and around, but as no danger seems imminent all continue on their way.

And then, the full moon reveals itself from behind the clouds as they seem to rush away . . ghastly howls of horror fill the night echoing between and off the buildings of the West End. Some sort of unnatural hounds bay at the moon in spooky loud tones.

Most of the citizens stop and shiver as many cabs stop and listen.

Suddenly, it seems that everyone wishes to get home as soon as possible and so the populous moves out with a purpose looking left and right and then behind as all try to get off the streets as soon as they can.

It's quite busy on the boulevards and two thieves aided by a lookout snatch a women's handbag and are off down a gangway between two building.

Wellington is nearby and runs over to the gangway as does a policeman looking fellow and another gentlemen. Together they begin to move down the side gangway when an incendiary device explodes in front of them followed by a gate closing. The device luckily is just a smoke bomb, but a highly effective one at that.

The two men and the young girl have to way a minute for the smoke to clear and when it does they move forward quietly and open the gate. All three enter a courtyard surround by three and four story apartment buildings.

In the far corner they see three thugs looking into the handbag, and they suddenly stop put down the bag and reach for their weapons.

End session.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:12 am
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Rhuvein wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Doctor Octavious Oppenheimer (Octo) (Supers name: The Octopus)
Class: Psychic


OK, still studying the rules and your char . . .

I believe your class is hynotist and you've chosen the theme package (as psychic), correct?

I'm seeing several mentions of attribute checks and saving throws against psychic attacks. The examples seem to use the hero as the example of trying to resist the attacks, so I'm thinking the same rules should allow bad guys to resist as well.

Whadaya all think about this?

:)



Bump!

I think this post might be interesting for our group and when we meet Friday night.

Thanks. :)



I used that theme, yes, but my response as far as Psycho Kinetic goes still applies. It is not an assault on ones pscyhe, its a physical effect.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:15 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10769
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
Treebore wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Doctor Octavious Oppenheimer (Octo) (Supers name: The Octopus)
Class: Psychic


OK, still studying the rules and your char . . .

I believe your class is hynotist and you've chosen the theme package (as psychic), correct?

I'm seeing several mentions of attribute checks and saving throws against psychic attacks. The examples seem to use the hero as the example of trying to resist the attacks, so I'm thinking the same rules should allow bad guys to resist as well.

Whadaya all think about this?

:)



Bump!

I think this post might be interesting for our group and when we meet Friday night.

Thanks. :)



I used that theme, yes, but my response as far as Psycho Kinetic goes still applies. It is not an assault on ones pscyhe, its a physical effect.


Indeed.

So . . is it a mentally generated attempt as a physical attack then? Or a psychic attack that could create physical damage?

Heh, this is a good example for all of us to discuss about the game.

8-)

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:48 am
Profile
Unkbartig

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:38 pm
Posts: 862
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
If I may interject... ;)

One of the major limitations to Magick is that every invocation of it gives the victim a saving throw. It doesn't matter if its Mesmerism, Blast, or PK; its the tradeoff you get for having magick's versatility.

Now, in the original concept I didn't see Psychic powers having the same limits. However, a lot of stuff in Victorious is covered by the term "Mystic" which defines as Magick and/or Psychic. So, I could certainly see an argument either way.

BTW, I'd originally planned the term "Spiritual" instead of Mystic (to go along with Temporal) but the decision was made that it could set off some unintended religiosity. ;)

Mike

_________________
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com


Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:58 am
Profile
Unkbartig

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:38 pm
Posts: 862
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
BTW, should this thread be over at the Victorious forum instead of the C&C forum? Just a thought!

Mike

_________________
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com


Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:00 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 2727
Location: The Court of the Crimson King
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
DMMike wrote:
BTW, should this thread be over at the Victorious forum instead of the C&C forum? Just a thought!

Mike

Probably, maybe would get more people to chime in.

BtW, Mike, you should change the forum link in your signature. It looks like it changed to http://www.osrgaming.org/forums/index.php?board=21.0
.

_________________
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com


Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:31 am
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post Re: Rhu's Friday nite game ~ Vict/Ghastly/Masque RD
DMMike wrote:
If I may interject... ;)

One of the major limitations to Magick is that every invocation of it gives the victim a saving throw. It doesn't matter if its Mesmerism, Blast, or PK; its the tradeoff you get for having magick's versatility.

Now, in the original concept I didn't see Psychic powers having the same limits. However, a lot of stuff in Victorious is covered by the term "Mystic" which defines as Magick and/or Psychic. So, I could certainly see an argument either way.

BTW, I'd originally planned the term "Spiritual" instead of Mystic (to go along with Temporal) but the decision was made that it could set off some unintended religiosity. ;)

Mike


Yeah, but this character doesn't have Magick.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:38 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.