AA Love!

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
paladinn
Ulthal

AA Love!

Post by paladinn »

Hola all,

I'm brand new to this forum but have been an enthusiast for AA ever since it came out, having been a fan of C&C as well. Here are a couple things I posted on a different forum. Would love to get some input from folks on here!

"I've posted here and there about the Amazing Adventures RPG from Troll Lord. There are two versions of the game: one that is C&C-compatible and one that works just like D&D 5e. I actually dove into the 5e version first, and found it great! It is very much a "modern" or "pulp" extension of the 5e ruleset. Very much recommended for anyone who plays or DM's 5e. It's a great extension and adds a Lot to the game.

Perusing the 5e version inspired me to check out the original/C&C-compatible version; and I am really glad I did! I'm finding this version to be even more interesting. Not only does it add a lot of great classes (like the Raider, a kind of Ranger-equivalent that is soo Indiana Jones; or the Mentalist, an actual playable psionic class). Everything in AA can work with C&C with little or no effort. There are even rules for low-level superheroes! And with the Starsiege expansion, even "hard core" sci-fi and space opera can be enjoyed.

As cool as all that is, I've discovered that AA has something I've been pondering: a framework for swapping class features for "generic" class features, or even for other classes' abilities. Want to add sneak attack to your ranger? Make it so! This opens up so many character possibilities. I'm getting more and more excited about diving in. Then there's Victorious, a steampunk-flavored supers game that should also be able to work with the rest.

Has anyone else gotten into AA (the game, not the 12-step program) and/or Victorious? Any thoughts or suggestions on making it all work together?"

"Since I'm smitten with cross-genre games, I'm almost looking at AA as the "main" game and C&C is the supplement for fantasy elements, magic, archaic weapons, lots of monsters, etc. I Love how AA changed up the spellcasting; even in the original, it's a lot closer to the 5e model, which I have used across many editions. The Mentalist should indeed be a good psion.

Three classes are of particular interest to me. The Pugilist seems to be a take on the Monk that bypasses a lot of the more mystical stuff. For a more "Western" campaign, I think that works much better. The Raider class might make an interesting replacement for the Ranger, which IMO has had a bit of an identity crisis for some time. I would still likely include a "favored enemy" feature instead of the "favored weapon", especially in a fantasy campaign. The Demon Hunter is a clever take on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The 5e version has it as a Paladin subclass, but it doesn't quite strike me as paladin-ish. I do think Van Helsing would fit comfortably into this mold, though.

And of course, the potential of crossing over into superhero gaming is very intriguing, especially with the AA Book of Powers! Just not sure how well Victorious might mesh with all this.

Overall, I'm very hyped about the possibilities!"

Curious, has there been an attempt at "generic class abilities" for AA5e?

Thanks in advance!

Bifford
Site Admin

Re: AA Love!

Post by Bifford »

Welcome to the forums :)

I havn't read AA yet, so can't comment. But, welcome! :)

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Bifford wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:13 pm
Welcome to the forums :)

I havn't read AA yet, so can't comment. But, welcome! :)
Thank yuh.. Thank yuh ver' much...

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I had a AA mashed with old AD&D 2e Masque of Red Death game going for a while until real world intruded and kept the Monday night Ne'er-do-Wells from going further

Funny that we had all 3 of the classes you mentioned in the game and they all worked out well. Also, had one of the characters use a generic class feature to get a wild talent psy ability. Added good flavor, and was real fun when he used a hero point to force read the mind of someone possessed by a ghost !

Also, I've played and ran Victorious, and love that system, It worked well for a hero's game both in it's original setting, and also a hero game in modern times. That is saying something since I have never been a fan of super hero type games.

We kicked around ideas for a sci fi version of it mixed with Star Wars, but that never went anywhere with the ideas.

We also played a fantasy version of Victorious and it handled it well too. It made some real interesting characters - a witch hunter, a fay touched swordsman and a rogue with some limited magic. It also had some REAL interesting NPCs and bad guys,

As for mixing the 2, I've never tried it. I think both shine in their own way and haven't needed to mush them together. That said, I have mined AA adventures for NPC types and ideas for victorious , but i don't consider that a true mash up of the 2 systems.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Lurker wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:56 pm
I had a AA mashed with old AD&D 2e Masque of Red Death game going for a while until real world intruded and kept the Monday night Ne'er-do-Wells from going further

Funny that we had all 3 of the classes you mentioned in the game and they all worked out well. Also, had one of the characters use a generic class feature to get a wild talent psy ability. Added good flavor, and was real fun when he used a hero point to force read the mind of someone possessed by a ghost !

Also, I've played and ran Victorious, and love that system, It worked well for a hero's game both in it's original setting, and also a hero game in modern times. That is saying something since I have never been a fan of super hero type games.

We kicked around ideas for a sci fi version of it mixed with Star Wars, but that never went anywhere with the ideas.

We also played a fantasy version of Victorious and it handled it well too. It made some real interesting characters - a witch hunter, a fay touched swordsman and a rogue with some limited magic. It also had some REAL interesting NPCs and bad guys,

As for mixing the 2, I've never tried it. I think both shine in their own way and haven't needed to mush them together. That said, I have mined AA adventures for NPC types and ideas for victorious , but i don't consider that a true mash up of the 2 systems.
Thanks for the input! I'm wondering when AA would be preferable to Victorious or vice-versa, since they both handle supers playing and powers, or if/how they might be used together. AA and C&C are Made for each other.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Yea, AA and C&C work well together. There's some good spells in AA that port directly over. Not sure if they are in the new Adventurer's Spell book though. I'll have to check that out.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

maximus wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:00 pm
Yea, AA and C&C work well together. There's some good spells in AA that port directly over. Not sure if they are in the new Adventurer's Spell book though. I'll have to check that out.
I just hope the Trolls do something more with AA. I love the swap-ability of class features in the original C&C/AA; and the 5e version is pretty cool too. Although I'm not sure how I like the Demon Hunter as a Paladin subclass. Ranger, yes.. Paladin, ehhh...

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

paladinn wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:40 pm
maximus wrote:
I just hope the Trolls do something more with AA. I love the swap-ability of class features in the original C&C/AA; and the 5e version is pretty cool too. Although I'm not sure how I like the Demon Hunter as a Paladin subclass. Ranger, yes.. Paladin, ehhh...
The Demon Hunter is a pretty good paladin replacement. I'm playing one in Lurker's Masque of the Red Death game.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Rigon wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:57 am
paladinn wrote:
maximus wrote:
The Demon Hunter is a pretty good paladin replacement. I'm playing one in Lurker's Masque of the Red Death game.

R-
It's pretty obviously a take on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm just not sure it's a great paladin. Which it is in the 5e-compatible version.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

paladinn wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:05 am
Rigon wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:57 am
paladinn wrote:
maximus wrote:

R-
It's pretty obviously a take on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm just not sure it's a great paladin. Which it is in the 5e-compatible version.
I will say that I added a limited number of spells to the btb class (I can't remember if it started out with any). However, the sense evil abality has been GREAT in the Red Death game. They cleverly used it to hunt down an invisible ghost (cought me off guard on that !) and have used it to pick out spying imps and the like - I love using imps they are sooooo fun.

I will say if you are playing a goody two shoe paladin the demon hunter isn't a perfect fit, but it you are going for a bit of grit it is a good replacement.

Oh yeah I did remove the 'only old style weapons' restrictions. I didn't make sense to me to have him going up against a gang of thieves and muggers and only be willing to use an archaic hand crossbow. Of course, more often than not, the mystical monsters they face will not be overly harmed by a 9mm lead slug ....
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Lurker wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:58 pm
I will say that I added a limited number of spells to the btb class (I can't remember if it started out with any). However, the sense evil abality has been GREAT in the Red Death game. They cleverly used it to hunt down an invisible ghost (cought me off guard on that !) and have used it to pick out spying imps and the like - I love using imps they are sooooo fun.

I will say if you are playing a goody two shoe paladin the demon hunter isn't a perfect fit, but it you are going for a bit of grit it is a good replacement.

Oh yeah I did remove the 'only old style weapons' restrictions. I didn't make sense to me to have him going up against a gang of thieves and muggers and only be willing to use an archaic hand crossbow. Of course, more often than not, the mystical monsters they face will not be overly harmed by a 9mm lead slug ....
I just wonder if the Demon Hunter would be better packaged as a Ranger subclass. Fiends would obviously be the "favored foe", and I'd definitely use the Tasha's ranger mods. I just don't see Buffy having any real connection to a deity, or "smiting" evil.

And a "gritty" paladin is what the Vengeance oath is about:)

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

TLG just put out an announcement yesterday regarding a reboot of AA. There's a sale on the books right now. I heard about it in an update for a kickstarter I'm part of.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

maximus wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:05 pm
TLG just put out an announcement yesterday regarding a reboot of AA. There's a sale on the books right now. I heard about it in an update for a kickstarter I'm part of.
Hmm.. interesting.. Are they rebooting the original or the 5e versions (or both)?

an_th
Skobbit

Post by an_th »

This is an extract from a bunch of posts by Jason in the TLG discord:
The game is not changing in terms of the rules or how it's played. Your old books will still be 100% usable just like with any new printing of C&C. We are, however, giving the line a big revamp in the way it's presented.

It will now have a 3 book core set like C&C: A Player's Guide, CK's guide, and Monster book. The Companion is going away and will be folded into the Player's and GM's guides.

All will be full color and have new art, layout, and covers.

We'll be doing a bit of cleanup, adding errata, clarifying rules for magic, psionics, and gadgeteering. The same sort of updates you get in any new printing of C&C. Mostly it's just a big reorganization of content, and a rebranding to multigenre from specifically pulp, to better fit the original intent.

It's part of our push to hammer home that AA is part of the SIEGE Engine core by making it match the C&C paradigm. We're even renaming the GM to the Chronicle Keeper (CK) to better match terminology.

We are currently discussing where to take StarSIEGE moving forward. RIGHT NOW the discussion is gearing towards expanding it and making it a hardcover sourcebook, but nothing has been set in stone. I EXPECT that it will somehow be involved in the crowdfunding of the new 3-book paradigm but I'm not sure how

Book of powers is also a genre book and we're discussing what to do with it. I am pushing for the same approach as StarSIEGE. Essentially, I want to see both produced as expanded hardcovers, but nothing has been decided yet.

an_th
Skobbit

Post by an_th »

paladinn wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:32 pm
maximus wrote:
Hmm.. interesting.. Are they rebooting the original or the 5e versions (or both)?
Based on my previous post, this is the Siege version of the game. 5e is not mentioned.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

an_th wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:26 am
paladinn wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:32 pm
maximus wrote:
Based on my previous post, this is the Siege version of the game. 5e is not mentioned.
I hope you're right. Although the 5e version was pretty cool too

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Here's the update:

They have an Iniegogo crowdfunding campaign going for AA coming up. Just got an email about it today. It will be 3 books, all compatible with the existing version.

Amazing Adventures Player's Handbook
Amazing Adventures Chronicle Keepers Guide
Adventures Codex Monstorum

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

"Chronicle Keeper" lol. Are they changing the name of the C&C CKG as well? Gotta be consistent..

I honestly would like to see both Siege and 5e developed more. But I guess they'd likely hold off on doing anything 5e until 5.5/6e/D&Done/whatever comes out now.