AA for 5E

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
finarvyn
Global Moderator

AA for 5E

Post by finarvyn »

I'll admit that I'm really excited about the prospect of Amazing Adventures for 5E.
(1) Amazing Adventures is a great game.
(2) Most of the folks in my game store are playing 5E nowadays.
(3) I've been hoping that someone would come up with a "modern" 5E rules set instead of only fantasy variants.

All of those factors rolled into one? I can't wait to see it! I know that there was a preview link for this, but I can't find it at the moment, or I would have posted it.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Re: AA for 5E

Post by finarvyn »

Found the link from a Facebook post, so I assume it's okay to post here. 8-)

https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/index.html
Marv / Finarvyn

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I can't believe that there is no chatter here for 5E AA. :(

Love the concept, love the preview, can't wait to buy the game. 8-)
Marv / Finarvyn

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Still not a peep. Do you guys not like 5E, not like AA, not like the combo, or just don't look here anymore? :(
Marv / Finarvyn

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

I have literally just found out about this from a post on the kickstarter for Sandy Petersen’s Cthulhu Mythos for 5e....and boy does this sound exciting! Been in a quiet RPG spell but recently 5e has really rekindled my enthusiasm and a pulp based game is fantastic, especially as it’s Amazing Adventures, which I also think is excellent. Just wish there was more news....
(And this was enough to bring me back here after a long absence)

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

So anyone know if this will be a full standalone game or a 5e supplement? (Personally I’m okay either way)

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

To be honest, the more I learn about 5e, the more I think I made the right choice picking C&C. I recognize that 5e is very popular and where the money is, and I know the trolls are running a business, but I have AA so I don't need another version using rules I don't like. As I read this post back it sounds pretty cranky to me, though that was not my intention. Maybe I should just get off the "Version Treadmill" :D

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I can't disclose too much because of the NDA in effect, but my understanding is that the 5E version of AA will be...

(1) Essentially a stand-alone game. There are certain elements of 5E which are not open content, so it's possible that there might be a couple of "see Player's Handbook for details" notes, but it's designed to be as stand-alone as possible. (If you have seen the 5E "Adventures in Middle-earth" you may get an idea of what I'm talking about here where the mechanics and core rules are 5E but the flavor is clearly Middle-earth. 5E AA is striving for this same type of game.)

(2) More universal genre than pulp. The C&C version of the game was designed with a pulp emphasis, but this time Jason wants a game which could expand to work for many genres. My personal opinion is that it still contains that pulp flavor that I liked in AA, but it does go beyond. My playtest sessions were modern day, not 30's.

(3) As compatible with 5E as possible. For example, you could throw a Barbarian character from the Player's Handbook into an AA adventure and it should work. It may change the feel of the campaign, but classes are designed to work side by side with WotC materials. (Some of the spellcasting classes are essentially reworkings of PH classes so the suggestion is to use the new ones instead of the old ones, but you could honestly use either for similar effect.)

Does that help?
Marv / Finarvyn

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

anvil242 wrote:To be honest, the more I learn about 5e, the more I think I made the right choice picking C&C. I recognize that 5e is very popular and where the money is, and I know the trolls are running a business, but I have AA so I don't need another version using rules I don't like. As I read this post back it sounds pretty cranky to me, though that was not my intention. Maybe I should just get off the "Version Treadmill" :D
Honestly, I know where you are coming from. As a player I appreciate the depth of 5E more becasue it allows me to do more stuff. As a DM I appreciate C&C more because it's so much easier to run. I notice this same thing in my game group, where I often suggest to play C&C and they ask me to run 5E.
Marv / Finarvyn

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Finarvyn, thanks for the info. Does sound interesting! I get that c&c is preferred by some but am also looking forward to AA for us 5e fans (choice is good!)

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I'll also say this ... I buy many RPG products because they look interesting but I never play them. The new AA is the kind of product I plan to buy and then play. I feel like 5E took a major step towards core simplification of rules (with lots of potential details for folks who like those) compared to some later editions, and AA feels like a good fit for 5E.
Marv / Finarvyn

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

finarvyn wrote:Still not a peep. Do you guys not like 5E, not like AA, not like the combo, or just don't look here anymore? :(
I supported Amazing Adventures during the Kickstarter and picked up all the core books, but I guess I am just not that interested in pulp style roleplaying games. I thumbed through a good portion of the main rule book and thought it looked like a decent, well thought-out game, but nothing really grabbed me and said, "oh man, I can't wait to play this game..."

But I kind of knew this would likely be the case when I supported the Kickstarter, which I mainly did to support TLG. I have always primarily been interested in fantasy RPGs, and though I have played many other genres (superhero, future, western, modern, space opera, espionage, horror, etc.), my mind naturally gravitates toward fantasy and to me, that's what I want to play when I play RPGs.

At any rate, I hope 5e AA does really well! 5e is a great game and a pulp skin for the game might scratch an itch that isn't being met elsewhere.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

OK, so any news, teasers etc?

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Well, there is a preview download. (Link in the 2nd post from the top.)

My group did some playtests, Jason is currently running a couple of playtest groups. There may be more of these that I'm not aware of in action as well.

My understanding is that the kickstart is to be launched "soon." 8-)
Marv / Finarvyn