The Book of Shadows

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
finarvyn
Global Moderator

The Book of Shadows

Post by finarvyn »

I was looking through racks of stuff at my local game store and ... there was this new book for Amazing Adventures called "The Book of Shadows." I'm surprised that there hasn't been a thread on this already.

So, it's a new book but not really a new book. It's new in that it was just published, but not new in that it contains no new material. What the book is, is a collection of spell and psionic material from the core rulebook and other expansion books -- all collected together for player use. A neat idea, really, because I don't want my players having access to all of the rulebooks but I'd like for them to have access to all of the spellslinging stuff.

Anyway, I picked up a copy. Nice! 8-)
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Re: The Book of Shadows

Post by Jason Vey »

Yeah. So people that know me from social media know that I'm NOT a big fan of "kickstarter exclusive" goals in campaigns. I think that so as not to piss off fans and retailers, any stretch goals for kickstarters SHOULD eventually be made available in retail. That's the story here. The Book of Shadows was originally a stretch goal for the second print hardcover KS. It just took us awhile to get around to releasing it in stores. It is, as you said, a complete compilation of all the spells and psionic powers that have thus far been released. It's intended as a quick reference at the table for those playing Mentalists or Arcanists in game.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Hmmmm... I now know what to use a certain coupon on at TLG.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Hmmmm... I now know what to use a certain coupon on at TLG.
Hmmmm me too ... I've been trying to figure out what book to get, now I have another option to consider
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

If you haven't looked at the Book of Powers yet, it's one of the books I'm most proud of in my career as a game designer. Treebore has already mentioned he uses it to bolster and expand the super powers in Victorious; it can also be used as a different type of sorcery in C&C, an alternate means of gadgeteering in AA and more. That book also has rules for playing angels, demons, vampires, and werewolves. It has an optional skills system, new methods of determing AC, streamlined firearms rules, and a ton of other stuff.