Class and a Half

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
MarkChance
Henchman

Class and a Half

Post by MarkChance »

Re: class and a half characters, I understand level advancement. Add half the XP of the supporting class to the principal class. That's easy. I'm not as clear about hit points. The description and chart befuddle me (but I've been painting lately, so perhaps it's the fumes).

Let's say I making up a 3rd-level gumshoe/1st-level socialite. What dice would I roll for his hit points?

Thanks!

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Re: Class and a Half

Post by Jason Vey »

Hey, man,

I JUST TONIGHT saw your post on G+ about this. Answered it over there, but to clarify here as well:

Admittedly the table in the AA core book could be laid out better. It's essentially the same table as in the C&C PHB on page 188 (in the current printing).

The first column is the HD of the Primary class. The first row is the HD of the Secondary class. You cross reference them to get the HD for the final class. In the case of the Gumshoe/Socialite, the final HD would be a d10. The number after the slash represents the flat HP progression after level 10, so when you hit level 10 with your Gumshoe/Socialite, you'd just add 4 hp per level instead of rolling a d10.

Hope that helps and sorry it took so long to answer!

MarkChance
Henchman

Post by MarkChance »

Thank you, Jason. That's most helpful, and don't fret about the time between post and response. I'm easy. :D

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

MarkChance wrote:Thank you, Jason. That's most helpful, and don't fret about the time between post and response. I'm easy. :D
Another way to tackle it is to average the die type, then lean towards the higher end. So in this case, you'd average 8+10 to come out with 9, which puts you back to 10 (since there's no d9).

If you were doing a mentalist/gumshoe you'd have d6 and d10; averaging 6 and 10 gives you 8, so the hit die would be a d8.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Jason Vey wrote:
MarkChance wrote:Thank you, Jason. That's most helpful, and don't fret about the time between post and response. I'm easy. :D
Another way to tackle it is to average the die type, then lean towards the higher end. So in this case, you'd average 8+10 to come out with 9, which puts you back to 10 (since there's no d9).

If you were doing a mentalist/gumshoe you'd have d6 and d10; averaging 6 and 10 gives you 8, so the hit die would be a d8.
Ah, so that's where we ought to bring in Goodman Games' "funky dice" from the DCC RPG. That includes d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, and others.

Still no d9, however. :P
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

mmbutter wrote:Nine Sided Die (d9)
Nice. Or you could just do that ;)

mrm1138
Henchman

Post by mrm1138 »

Another question about class and a half. I understand that a newly made character doesn't add any bonuses at all to a roll made for a check involving his secondary class ability. Once that secondary class reaches 1st level, do they get to add bonuses as normal (level + attribute)?

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

I believe they add the 1/2 level. So if a 5th level character, they will use their supporting class abilities with +2 on the test.

Johnhunt
Henchman

Post by Johnhunt »

Same here.