HH Classes, Races, Spells

All things about the Haunted Highlands!
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

HH Classes, Races, Spells

Post by alcyone »

Looking through Haunted Highlands again. Anyone using the Conjurer, Necromancer, Witch, etc., or the xp-priced extra abilities for PHB classes? How about the spells, especially for PCs?

Wondering if you've run into any issues running these.

The spontaneous casting looks like slot-based casting, except that instead of any spell, you have to use ones you have prepared, i.e. preparing a spell means it's available at that level for the day, but doesn't say how many times you could use it, as long as the number of spells of that level you used that day is no more than the number you can cast?

e.g.
I have a spellbook with 10 first level spells, but i can cast 3 per day. I choose Magic Missile, Read Magic, and Sleep. So I could cast Read Magic 3 times, or Sleep twice and Magic Missile once, or each spell once?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: HH Classes, Races, Spells

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote: The spontaneous casting looks like slot-based casting, except that instead of any spell, you have to use ones you have prepared, i.e. preparing a spell means it's available at that level for the day, but doesn't say how many times you could use it, as long as the number of spells of that level you used that day is no more than the number you can cast?

e.g.
I have a spellbook with 10 first level spells, but i can cast 3 per day. I choose Magic Missile, Read Magic, and Sleep. So I could cast Read Magic 3 times, or Sleep twice and Magic Missile once, or each spell once?
Its effectively the same as a Sorceror in 3E D&D. It gives the spell casters a nice bit of flexibility in responding to their challenges, but aside from that, its not a power booster.

Aside from that, I have no experience with the other items in the HH book. When I last ran the HH's, it was well before the book came out, it was simply the modules.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.