Spider Imp

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Spider Imp

Post by Lurker »

Spider Imp

Ok since the Monday Night Ne’er-do-wells finally took the time to do the research needed to figure out what exactly the new little beasty is that has been following them and spying on them in the AA Masque of the Red Death game, I can share it here

The Spider Imp

NO. ENCOUNTERED: 1 – 4 (as summoned and commanded)
SIZE: Small - Body size 1 to 2 Ft Diameter, plus legs
HD: 1 (d8)
MOVE: 30 ft – run or leap , 20 ft. (floating)
AC: 15
ATTACKS: Bite (1d4), + poison
SPECIAL: Darkvision 60 ft., SR 3, Chameleon like Invisibility, Regenerate 1, Web, Sense through web, Climb
SAVES: M
INT: Average
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Evil
TYPE: summoned devil servant
TREASURE: 1
XP: 15+1

Spider Imps are a derivative of the common Imp, but as their creating and controlling demon/devil lord (which grants acolytes and evil mages and mystics permission to use the Spider Imp) is a Spider like Demon/Devil. The Spider Imps , as a reflection of their demon/devil master’s spider aspect, have taken a physical form and aspects of a spider themselves.

Like a standard Imp, the Spider Imp is a malicious and vicious entity, and is used extensively as a spy for their master demon and those that serve it. They follow the will and whims of the master demon without question, but they will, if given a chance, twist the orders of the humans that their master has given permission to command and use the Spider Imp in their evil acts.

The Spider Imp’s form of a spider has advantages and limitations when compared to the common Imp.

The spider Imp, with it’s bug like form, is not as intelligent as the common Imp though it is patient and cleverly vicious. As such, it will not be able to follow lengthy or in-depth commands of the humans it is forced to serve like a common Imp. Additionally, it will be less likely to act on events and information it gains as it follows the orders of its master. This limits some of the uses of a Spider Imp. However, it will be patient and diligent in the service it is commanded to preform, if proper controls are enforced. Also, the Spider Imp will be less likely to preform malicious mischievous acts when out of view of the human it is commanded to assist which some find more preferable to the mindset of the common Imp.

The Spider Imp has also lost the Imp’s stinger tail, but it is replaced by the venomous bite of a poisonous spider. The Spider Imp’s bite is similar to that of a normal spider, though it is significantly more potent. The Spider Imp produces enough venom to use its poisons bite d4 + 4 times a day. When bitten, if the Spider Imp uses its poison in the attack, the target must make a Con save or suffer an additional d4+2 damage and be paralyzed for d6 rounds. The target will continue to take d4 damage until a con save is made. A Spider Imp can chose to use 3 doses of its venom in an attack. When it does so, the target must make a Con save or die within d6 rounds. Even if the save is successful, the target is paralyzed for 6 rounds, it suffers 3d6 damage, and its Con is temporarily reduced by half (con will increase by 1 per day with a successful CON save &+1 for each day since the last successful Con save, until it is back up to the original level) With the deadly venomous bite, at times the Spider Imp can be used as a tool to kill a victim and draw little attention to the murder especially if the authorities are not looking for nefarious mystical threats to the victim

Also, with a spider based physical form, the Spider imp has lost its wings and is not able to fly. However, like a spider it can cast a long line of web that allowed it to float and drift on the wind. It is slower and less controlled than the common Imp’s flight, but it still can cross wide open spaces while floating through the air. Similarly, the Spider Imp can climb sheer surfaces and leap up to 30 ft . This ability to climb, leap, and float makes up for the loss of the normal Imp’s ability to fly.

A Spider Imp is able to cast a web to entrap a foe. The Spider Imp’s ability is similar to the Web spell . It can use this ability up to 6 times a day.

The spider can also place webs in an area and remotely sense when the web is broken – Similar to the Alarm spell, though the distance is greater than the 1 mile associated with the spell. Also, when the Spider Imp is in its nest, in quiet, it can concentrate and sense movement and sounds through its far flung webs. The Spider Imp must concentrate and must be in near silence to do so. When it is sensing through its webs, it can tell general number and sized of creatures moving near the webs. It can hear voices though it may not understand what is being said – it is rumored that certain foolhardy spell casters can attempt to use the Spider Imp as a conduit to remotely listen to those near the Spider Imp’s webs, but such attempts will be perilous and open the evil caster up to greater domination by the Spider Imp’s demonic master, and may drive the magic user closer to insanity.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: Spider Imp

Post by maximus »

Gerard hates spiders...

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ha

So does my wife

When I laughed outloud at your reply, my wife asked what was so funny.

I explained about the Spider Imp, and then the dream your character had , Her reply was "Nope, I'm done, I hate you and that you would even think something like that up"

Now there is no hope she will ever play :mrgreen:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

LOL! In all seriousness, that was great foreshadowing and has allowed me to add more depth to the character.