Reimagining SRD Fiends: The Pit Fiend

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
KaiserKris
Red Cap

Reimagining SRD Fiends: The Pit Fiend

Post by KaiserKris »

The gigantic fiend stands before you, a nightmarish cross between the devilish and the draconic, a fourteen-foot tall monstrosity with cruelly intelligent eyes watching you. Its mouth turns in a faint smile, revealing wickedly sharp teeth. When its wings open, it generates a wind powerful enough to knock you to the ground. Then, it turns invisible, and the next thing you know, the party’s wizard is missing his head …

Pit Fiend:
No. Encountered: 1-2
Size: Large
HP: 205 (20d10+60)
Move: 30 (walk), 60 (fly)
AC: 30
Attacks: 2x Claws (2d6+6 dmg), Tail Slap (2d4+3 dmg)
Special: Aura of Command, Aura of Terror, Breath of Hellfire, Decapitating Bite, Devilish Attributes, Hellfire Mastery, Immunities, Magical Natural Weapons, Reach, Spell-Like Abilities, Strategic Movement, Summoning, Tail Constrict, Wing Buffet
Primes: Strength, Constitution, Charisma
Int: Genius
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Type: Extraplanar (devil)
Treasure:
XP: 41450 + 20

Special Abilities:
Aura of Command: All Lawful Evil creatures under the Pit Fiend’s command receive a +2 bonus to attack rolls and saving throws while the Pit Fiend is within 60 feet of them.

Aura of Terror: In the first round of encountering a Pit Fiend, and every 1d4 rounds thereafter, all enemies of the Pit Fiend must make a Charisma save against fear. This power works even on those ordinarily immune to fear, though they gain a +4 to their saving throw against fear. If they fail, the adventurers will attempt to flee the Pit Fiend by any means possible.

Breath of Hellfire: Once every 1d6 rounds, the Pit Fiend is capable of exhaling a horrific plume of hellfire, in a cone 10 feet wide and 80 feet long. This hellfire plume does 20d10 damage, and overcomes resistance to ordinary fire. A successful dexterity save halves damage.

Decapitating Bite: If the Pit Fiend hits an enemy with both of its claw attacks, it can attempt to decapitate a Medium or Small enemy with a single bite. The victim must make a Constitution save or have its head immediately bitten off, resulting in death. A successful save results in 4d6+6 damage.

Devilish Attributes: Like all true devils, Pit Fiends have the ability to assume the shape of a humanoid creature, disguising their infernal nature and alignments. Attempts to magically detect alignment must make a successful Wisdom check at 18 + 20 or roll a natural 20. True seeing will punch through this disguise, however. An Pit Fiend also has the ability to speak in any language she desires, as well as to use telepathy. Whenever he speaks, all within hearing range will hear her words in their native language, unless he specifically wills otherwise. Pit Fiends have perfect darkvision and can see even in supernatural darkness.

Hellfire Mastery: The Pit Fiend is a lord of fire, and is capable of intercepting any fire-based attacks directed against it, transforming it into hellfire and directing it back at the opponent. It can create fireballs and walls of fire with hellfire at will.

Immunities: Pit Fiends can only be damaged with +3 or greater magical weapons, or +1 or greater weapons that are made of silver or good-aligned. Pit Fiends are immune to fire, poison, charm, fear, petrifaction and death spells. Pit Fiends have SR of 12.

Magical Natural Weapons: The claws of a Pit Fiend are considered to be +3 magical weapons.

Reach: As a Large creature, the Pit Fiend has a reach of 15 feet and can make melee attacks at that distance.

Spell-Like Abilities: Pit Fiends constantly enjoy the benefits of true seeing. They can cast detect thoughts, dimension door, invisibility, mirror image, pyrotechnics, dispel magic, dream, magic circle against good, magic circle against chaos, animate dead, blasphemy, teleport without error and telekinesis at will. They can use geas, project image, mass hold monster and mass charm monster three times per day. They can use gate, limited wish, meteor rain and time stop once per day. Once per year, they can cast wish without any negative consequences for themselves.

Strategic Movement: Once per turn, a Pit Fiend can automatically teleport once of its allies to any position within 100 feet of the Pit Fiend. This action is considered to be an immediate action and does not take up a Pit Fiend’s standard action.

Summoning: Once per day, a Pit Fiend can summon up to 25 HD of any devils lower in rank than another pit fiend.

Tail Constrict: If a Pit Fiend strikes an enemy with its tail slap, the enemy must make a Strength save or end up caught in the Pit Fiend’s tail, where it will suffer 2d4+3 damage automatically and be unable to act until released.

Wing Buffet: A Pit Fiend is capable of beating its wings hard enough to create a wind capable of knocking Small or Medium creatures to the ground. All enemies in an area 20 feet wide around the Pit Fiend and 60 feet long must make a Strength save or suffer 2d4 damage, be knocked prone and moved 2d10 feet by the Pit Fiend’s beating wings.

Among all of the monsters that an adventurer could face, the almighty Pit Fiend is one of the very worst. The administrators and generals of Hell, Pit Fiends are usually deeply involved in Infernal politics or in the eternal conflict of the Blood War- and this is a very, very good thing for few mortals indeed can even contemplate standing against one of these powerful devils in combat. While the demonic balors may be even more terrible melee combatants, the pit fiends are far more intelligent and charismatic than the balors and do not hesitate to use their vast magical powers and intellect fully in combat.

Only the very most powerful mortal spellcasters, using highly dangerous epic-level summoning spells and making extensive preparations can hope to summon a pit fiend, and even then, it is a most dangerous proposition. Pit Fiends are usually curious enough about powerful spellcasters to grant them a moment or two to make their case, but it is virtually impossible to compel a Pit Fiend to perform a service against its will, and even harder to prevent the fiend from turning that service to its own agenda, which can span millennia.

Pit Fiends loathe the inconvenience of combat with mortals, but if they cannot get around it, they will do so ruthlessly, with no respect for scruple. A Pit Fiend will virtually always use its first round to cast time stop, using the time to bring up the appropriate magical defences and summoning allies. The Pit Fiend may also use the time, if it allows, to get with melee range of the group spellcaster, attacking the spellcaster with its full melee attack, both claws and a tail slap. If the claw attacks succeed, it will attempt to kill the spellcaster with its decapitating bite, if the claw attacks fail and the tail slap hits, it will attempt a tail constrict. While holding the spellcaster captive, it might use its wing buffet at this point to knock away all other opposition, or perhaps exhale a blast of hellfire. Regardless of specific strategies, only very powerful and well-prepared parties dare attempt to take on a Pit Fiend.

Geleg
Ulthal

Re: Reimagining SRD Fiends: The Pit Fiend

Post by Geleg »

nice! consider this yoinked.
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Yes I agree these are nice done. I had just spent some time a few weeks converting the Demons, Devils, Angels using AD&D bases with some cross referencing to the SRD for progression of AC and HD etc... Now you got me wondering if I should just steal yours :P

-Mike

KaiserKris
Red Cap

Post by KaiserKris »

mgtremaine wrote:Yes I agree these are nice done. I had just spent some time a few weeks converting the Demons, Devils, Angels using AD&D bases with some cross referencing to the SRD for progression of AC and HD etc... Now you got me wondering if I should just steal yours :P

-Mike
You certainly have my permission to do so!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

NiceI It looks like I'm going to have hours of copy/pasteing to do when I get home ... Again thanks for sharing!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

KaiserKris
Red Cap

Post by KaiserKris »

Duke of Hell:
No. Encountered: 1
Size: Large
HP: 262 (22d10+110)
Move: 30 (walk), 60 (fly)
AC: 30
Attacks: 2x Claws (2d6+8 dmg), Tail Slap (2d4+5 dmg)
Special: Aura of Command, Aura of Terror, Breath of Hellfire, Decapitating Bite, Devilish Attributes, Hellfire Mastery, Immunities, Magical Natural Weapons, Reach, Spell-Like Abilities, Strategic Movement, Summoning, Tail Constrict, Wing Buffet
Stats: Str: 22 (+5), Dex: 16 (+2), Con: 22 (+5), Int: 22 (+5), Wis: 20 (+4), Cha: 24 (+6)
Primes: Strength, Constitution, Charisma
Int: Genius
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Type: Extraplanar (devil)
Treasure:
XP: 60000 + 22

Special Abilities:
Aura of Command: As Pit Fiend
Aura of Terror: As Pit Fiend
Breath of Hellfire: Does 22d10 damage.
Class Abilities: Dukes of Hell have the abilities of a 20th level individual in one player class, typically blackguard or fighter.
Decapitating Bite: As Pit Fiend.
Devilish Attributes: As Pit Fiend.
Hellfire Mastery: As Pit Fiend.
Immunities: As Pit Fiend.
Magical Natural Weapons: As Pit Fiend.
Reach: As Pit Fiend
Spell-Like Abilities: As Pit Fiend
Strategic Movement: As Pit Fiend.
Summoning: Can summon up to 22 HD of devils.
Tail Constrict: As Pit Fiend.
Wing Buffet: As Pit Fiend.

The Dukes of Hell are the elite amongst the ranks of Pit Fiend and are found almost entirely at the right hand of archdevils, or leading huge demonic armies. These Dukes are extraordinarily powerful foes, often comparable in power to their evil masters, the archdevils. Many Dukes have only nominal allegiance to one of the archdevils and have staked out sizable realms of their own within the Nine Circles, and also in the portions of the Abyss that are currently under Infernal control.

dadiceguy
Ungern

Post by dadiceguy »

Double yoinked!