Advice on C&C Adventure for a Con

Where judges gather to discuss plots, devices and the games they play.
T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Advice on C&C Adventure for a Con

Post by T1Hound »

I'd like to run an event at a con and would like to use a C&C module. The timeslots are roughly 4 hours long and would like to complete in that timeframe.

Any advice?

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Advice on C&C Adventure for a Con

Post by Buttmonkey »

Pregens. Don't even think about having people generate PCs at the table. You'll burn through an hour if the people are newbies and probably 30 minutes at least if they are veterans.

Mid levels are a good sweet spot. 1st level PCs are fragile and don't have a lot of coolness. High level PCs have a lot of coolness that can become unmanageable for both the players and CK if they aren't experienced.

Start the adventure in media res. That is, the opening scene should be in the middle of the action. As an example, I ran an event last year where a group of dwarven PCs were dispatched to a distant forest to kill an evil druid. I had the PCs start at their mountain home and narrated their journey to a village near the druid's lair once the party told me where they wanted to go first. Big mistake. I should have just started with them arriving at the village while a raid by werewolves was in progress. Start the adventure by punching them in the balls with excitement.

Make things over the top using epic flavor. If the party is fighting an ogre, give the ogre glowing eyes and say its massive sword is engulfed in blue flames. The sword may not do any extra damage, but the encounter suddenly feels like a bigger deal than just an ogre.

Make sure your adventure gives each of the PCs an opportunity to shine. If you have a thief in the party, make sure there is a reason for them to use thief skills. Give them a wall to climb or a location that requires some stealthy scouting.

Roll everything in the open except rolls to determine success where the PC wouldn't know whether they are successful (i.e., your rolls to find traps should be hidden since the PC wouldn't know whether they blew it or there wasn't actually a trap, but do all of your to-hit and damage rolls in the open).

Use luck and hero points per the CKG. That gives a little cushion to replace the fudging you would be tempted to do when you hide your combat rolls.

As for the module, I recommend you contact CK Dad and ask if he will provide you with one or more of the C&C tournament adventures he has written. His con games are really solid stuff and are well-timed for a convention slot.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

You should cross-post this in General Discussion to get more feedback. This subforum deals with the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, not CKing in general.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Any of the three mini-adventures from TLG's Dwarven Glory module should fit the 4-hour length, or pretty close at least. I've used them many times.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Thanks - I will check them out. They sound pretty good in themselves.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Outside of conventions, I've used (in this order) the following C&C products together for a bit of a campaign. Start with Lure of Delusion, followed by a 1.00? pdf called Wizard's Tower, then move the characters west from the Elkhorn Deeps to the Rhodope Mountains. The mountains are the setting for the Dwarven Glory. After that excursion, you can move the characters back east to the Darkenfold Forest for Mortality of Green, Shades of Mist, Upon the Powder River, and eventual other adventures located in the Darkenfold. All should be available in our online store. You'll have to find Wizard's Tower on rpgnow, I believe.