Spell traps, another twist.

Where judges gather to discuss plots, devices and the games they play.
Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Spell traps, another twist.

Post by Arduin »

I was just creating a dungeon and remembered a "trap" type I used to use decades ago.

Basically it uses a an effect that is similar to a programmed illusion. An example: The PC's walk through a stone doorway in a dungeon. After the last person crosses the threshold the lintel glows (a random color) and hums for a second. A number of fist size glowing orbs (equal in number to the PCs) fly out and touch each PC either on the head or the chest and appear to sink into the body while making a moaning sound.

That's it. Afterwards the doors won't test positive for anything magical. However the PCs will probably start testing themselves. It's a great time and possible spell waster.

Put either shortly after entering the dungeon or right before entering an area with likelihood of combat.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

serleran
Mogrl

Re: Spell traps, another twist.

Post by serleran »

I used to do things like this with layered illusions and some low-tech cheating like color filters and mirrors so, even after using dispel magic (or whatever), they still weren't sure if they'd gotten it all. Even worse in S3 where real tech is involved.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote:I used to do things like this with layered illusions and some low-tech cheating like color filters and mirrors so, even after using dispel magic (or whatever), they still weren't sure if they'd gotten it all. Even worse in S3 where real tech is involved.
Clever using the RL non-magic effects. S3, I'm glad that I got to play that without reading the module or having anyone tip me off about it. Sometimes I wish I could selectively blank some memories so I could play certain games again without foreknowledge.

House Rules

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Arduin wrote:
serleran wrote:I used to do things like this with layered illusions and some low-tech cheating like color filters and mirrors so, even after using dispel magic (or whatever), they still weren't sure if they'd gotten it all. Even worse in S3 where real tech is involved.
Clever using the RL non-magic effects. S3, I'm glad that I got to play that without reading the module or having anyone tip me off about it. Sometimes I wish I could selectively blank some memories so I could play certain games again without foreknowledge.
That is one of the hardest things for me to do, I get excited and enjoy reading through modules and setting up games to run that when we play through a module I'm familiar with it is hard to play the character without metagaming but what is harder is to enjoy the game as much as the other players who are unfamiliar like when we were taken into the tainted lands

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Dracyian wrote:
Arduin wrote:
That is one of the hardest things for me to do, I get excited and enjoy reading through modules and setting up games to run that when we play through a module I'm familiar with it is hard to play the character without metagaming but what is harder is to enjoy the game as much as the other players who are unfamiliar like when we were taken into the tainted lands
Well, as I age I find that I've forgotten a few things that I read in the dim past. Maybe as I get even older all those books crowding my walls will become new again!

House Rules