Grid vs Gridless Combat

Where judges gather to discuss plots, devices and the games they play.
Daniel
Red Cap

Grid vs Gridless Combat

Post by Daniel »

I have used grid maps for many, many, years. But in the resent past I have played with gridless maps and the use of measure sticks or measure strings.

What is best for C&C? Does the rules lend itself better to grids or would gridless work with the C&C rules?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Grid vs Gridless Combat

Post by Arduin »

Whatever worked for you in D&D 1st or 2nd Edition will work. I don't use for really small combat. Only for 4 or more combatants.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

What Arduin said. Whatever worked for you in the past. I used both grid and gridless maps. Personally, I enjoy gridless more, I don't feel bound by the squares.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

90% of what I do, is gridless combat, even with large battles. However, if the terrain is difficult, or there are strange corners in the dungeon, sometimes I have to draw out the situation for the players just to grasp what is happening. Back i nthe 3E days, everything was on the grid. It took me many years to ween them off of grid combat. Now, we get twice as much adventuring in without the grid to slow things down!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

gridless is great! Just my 2 cents. I love gridless, and since RPGs srung forth from the world of wargaming, most rpg's adapt well to use of minis.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I use both. Simple combats, particularly outdoors, do not benefit from the grid. More challenging encounters where terrain features and room size are significant tend to benefit from a grid. If I had to pick one way or the other full-time, I'd run C&C gridless.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.