View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Race Preview: Liowan Cat-Folk 
Ulthal

Post Race Preview: Liowan Cat-Folk
This is still in development...
LIOWAN
NO. ENCOUNTERED: 1-12, 30-300
SIZE: Medium
HD: 1 ( d8 )
MOVE: 30 ft.
AC: 15 (steel breastplate)
ATTACKS: 2 Claw (1d3), Bite (1d4), or Weapon (by weapon)
SPECIAL: Liowan Traits, Twilight Vision
SAVES: Females M, males P
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Neutral
TYPE: Humanoid
TREASURE: 1
XP: 9+1

Liowans are a civilized race of tall, muscular, lion-headed humanoids. They are native to the southern reaches, being most at home in the fertile grasslands of Ghinor. Individuals can be found just about anywhere in the Wilderlands; as most civilized folk encounter these lone individuals, it is believed that liowans are solitary folk. Liowans possess a culture obsessed with personal honor that also values duty to the pride, and most individuals encountered are either on a quest for their pride or are rogue exiles.

Liowans are tall, with males ranging between six and eight feet tall and weighing 300 to 400 pounds; females stand between six and seven feet and weigh 225 to 300 pounds. They have leonine heads, complete with cat-like ears, eyes, and a large sharp-toothed maw. Their bodies are covered all over with a tawny fur, and they have a long lion-like tail. Males also possess a large, shaggy yellow, red, brown, or even black mane, in which they take great pride and often plait, dreadlock, or braid, even decorating the braids with beads. Females grow no hair on their heads, only the normal fur found elsewhere on their bodies. Some males also grow a beard, usually of the same color as the mane; liowan druids wear theirs shaggy and wild, while clerics often have their beards tightly plaited like the beards of the priests of Alt Ghinor.

Liowans possess no nudity taboos, their entire bodies and all the usually-offending bits being hidden in fur, but will wear clothing while traveling through lands that prefer civilized beings wear such. In all cases it will be as open and airy as possible, even in cold climes. When wearing armor, liowans prefer breastplates, leaving arms and legs free for movement. Liowans are hunters, and while omnivorous prefer fresh, raw meat, or lightly cooked. They are partial to spicy foods, and often enjoy meats rubbed with catnip, which for them is an aphrodisiac. A liowan needs about three to five pounds of fresh meat a day to retain its sleek form, shiny coat, and gentle disposition.

In their native lands in the south, liowans congregate in villages of three to 10 prides, consisting of 30 to 300 adults, 1/3 males, with a number of cubs equal to 30 to 35% the total adult population. Villages are ruled by a council of crones, supplied by bands of female herders, hunters, and merchants, and protected by a guard of male warriors. A villages militia consists of all adult males, though only about half have levels in fighter, ranger, or (more rarely) barbarian class. Adult males and females can claw and bite or use weapons; preferred weapons include spears, javelins, long bows, and broad swords. In battles between liowan villages or between males during coming-of-age rituals and mating dances, only natural weapons will be used as a matter of honor.

Upon reaching adulthood, males are cast out of their natal pride, though not unkindly, and must prove themselves through ritual battles with males of the new pride they wish to join. Usually, a male will have made contacts with the pride he wishes to join prior to being cast out. Males who do not immediately find a new pride, either in their natal village or another, often end up wandering for a while, or living in a hunting camp for young, unattached males. Males perform ritual battle dances to impress females; there is no marriage among the liowans, and males and females may have many mates at any one time. The entire village raises all the cubs, and so all a villages adult females are mother and all the adult males are father, while all the other cubs are brother and sister.

Male liowans revere Bandorak, the Lord of Felines, while females worship Sekhathor, She-of-Great-and-Many-Dugs, a syncretic and independent avatar of the Ghinorian goddesses Sekhmet and Hathor. Sekhathor is the bountiful mother-goddess of the liowans, the protector of the herds, the scrivener of laws, the giver of milk, the far-trader, the horned lioness, and the avenger of wrongs. Bandorak is the warrior-god, the father-protector, the wandering adventurer, the catnip shaman, and the lord of fertility and potency. The sensuous Ghinorian goddess Bast is too chaotic for the order-loving and social-conscious liowans, though most liowan renegades turn to her and her orgiastic ways rather than to darker forms of worship. Bast worship among the young is tolerated as long as it doesnt get out of hand.
Combat: Liowans fight either with claw and bite or with weapons. Males of a village or pride train together and will use pre-determined tactics, roaring out changes in strategy in Felidae during the battle, calling out like a quarterback on the field. A female liowan protecting cubs gains a +2 bonus to hit and to damage, and will never break morale.
LIOWAN RACIAL TRAITS AND ABILITIES
HIDE and MOVE SILENTLY (Dexterity): In their native plains and similar steppe environments, liowans are able to hide and move silently. These abilities operate as the halfling hide and move silently abilities, with an increasing CL penalty based on how different the environment is from their native habitat, up to CL 10 for trying to hide in a dungeon or move silently in a wooden-floored tavern.
TWILIGHT VISION: Liowans have twilight vision, exactly as per the elvish ability. Liowans are not color blind, unlike their bestial cousins, and see in the full spectrum of colors perceived by humans.
CLAW AND BITE: Liowans have retractable claws on their hands (they do not have claws on their feet, though they do have large nails), and a mouthful of sharp teeth. They can claw twice and bite once per round, or attack with weapons as normal. Claw attacks deal 1d3 damage while bite attacks deal 1d4; damage is modified as normal for high and low strength.
LARGE-SIZED: Males with a Strength score of 19 or 20 are Large-sized, and suffer a -1 penalty to Armor Class, a CL 4 penalty to any attempt to hide in shadows, and must spend triple normal costs to buy armor and clothing that fit properly.
ROAR: A male liowan fighter, ranger, barbarian, knight, or paladin who possesses a class-based +4 bonus to hit may roar once per day. All who hear the roar within 30 feet must make a fear saving throw, or suffer a -2 penalty to all attacks and a CL 2 penalty to all saving throws and ability checks. This fear effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the liowans bonus to hit plus his charisma modifier. A liowan gains the ability to use this roar twice per day at +8, three times per day at +12, four times per day at +16, and five times per day at +20. A target may suffer from only one roars effect at a time.
LANGUAGES: Felidae, Ghinorian, Sylvan.
SIZE: Medium MOVEMENT: 30 feet
TYPICAL CLASSES: Fighter, Ranger, Cleric, Druid, Barbarian.
ATTRIBUTE MODIFIERS: Males +2 Strength, -1 Intelligence, -1 Wisdom; Females +1 Strength, +1 Dexterity, -1 Constitution, -1 Wisdom.
RANGER MODIFIER: +2 conceal, +2 move silent, +2 survival, +2 track
ROGUE AND ASSASSIN MODIFIER: +2 climb (when using claws), +2 hide, +2 move silent
RACIAL AGE CATEGORIES: Adult 12, Middle 30, Old 40, Venerable 60, Age Limit 60+2d20
HALF-LIOWANS: Liowans, like their cat-folk cousins the neamua and uasti, are inter-fertile with humans. Half-liowans primarily resemble their human parent, though they have liowan eyes with twilight vision, furry liowan ears and tail, sharp teeth, and retractable claws (which deal only 1d2 points of non-subdual damage). The hair on the heads of half-liowan male and female takes the same form as the liowan male mane.

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:46 pm
Red Cap

I really like what I'm seeing so far! Can't wait for your stuff to come out!

More teasers please!!

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

After reading the original post, I envision the Liowan as the Khajiit race from the Xbox 360 video game, "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" that I've been playing. The difference would be the males are more husky and less lithe than those in the video game.

I'm not sure if that's how you see them, James, but I really like the Liowan. I am a Greyhawker myself, but I am seriously intrigued by the Wilderlands coming to C&C. Thanks for bringing your work to C&C and solidifying C&C's place in the RPG industry.

Here's some Khajiit pics to show what I mean:
http://www.oblivionportal.com/info/images/khajiit.jpg

Click here if the above direct photo link doesn't work:
http://www.oblivionportal.com/info/races.php
http://accel9.mettre-put-idata.over-blo ... hajiit.jpg

Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khajiit

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:18 pm
Ulthal

The critters from that Wiki entry do look very similar; I know I wasn't influenced by them, as I don't play the game. I don't play any computer or console games, I'm strictly a tabletop player myself...

Though I do remember playing some sort of graphic-intense game (i.e., with stick figures) on my friend's Trash-80 back in middle school (ca. '81 to '83) and Zork on my own family's IBM 8088...

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:07 am
Lore Drake

jamesmishler wrote:
Thanks Zudrak!

The critters from that Wiki entry do look very similar; I know I wasn't influenced by them, as I don't play the game. I don't play any computer or console games, I'm strictly a tabletop player myself...

Though I do remember playing some sort of graphic-intense game (i.e., with stick figures) on my friend's Trash-80 back in middle school (ca. '81 to '83) and Zork on my own family's IBM 8088...

You're welcome!

I didn't mean to imply you were influenced. It must be great minds thinking alike. I prefer the tabletop, but console games get me by. Same with ice hockey -- I prefer the real thing, but NHL 2k7 resolves my fix sometimes.

Anyway, nice work and I will definitely be looking at your work when it is released for C&C. I don't get to this site as often as I'd like, but I do keep my finger on the pulse.

Happy gaming,

Zudrak

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

Psalm 73:26

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:55 pm
Mist Elf

Very nice...infinitely usuable by me!
Tony

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:17 pm
Ungern

Me too! I have a nice pic of a winged lion-man I want to use in my Wilderlands PBEM some time, so some of my Liowan will have wings...

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]