View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
C&C Player's Guide to the Wilderlands of High Adventure 
Renegade Mage

Harry Joy wrote:
I was only able to acquire it via trade on one of the major RPG related forums. After searching for some time, quite some time, I found a fellow willing to trade. But it cost me my DCC Gazetteer. The whole darned box.

That *REALLY* sucks. Have other people here who have a copy had any problems getting theirs?

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:24 pm
Lore Drake

jamesmishler wrote:
Okay, here's the way it is going to work...

After looking over all the posts for and against, and after perusing Casey's discussion here:
http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

I have decided that I will *not* be doing a Player's Guide to the Wilderlands at this time.

First, as to classes, in products I will use only the Core C&C classes; when an NPC is specially themed in some way (i.e., a "necromancer" or "witch," etc.) they will get special abilities toward that kind of "theme."

As Casey mentions, this keeps it simple for people who are new to the game, and also makes sure that judges do not have to own a couple different supplements just to use one WoHA book. Each WoHA book should be useable straight from the PHB and M&T.

That said, as to classes, I will include new and variant classes in the Journal from time to time. These will always be optional, of course, and used at the discretion of the judge in her campaign.

I will keep a regularly-updated FREE PDF on the AGP website that includes the basic details of each new Special Ability, and probably include the most prominent ones regularly in AGJ.

Second, as to an introduction to the races of the WoHA... well, that will be the Big Wilderlands Article in Journal #2. A paragraph dedicated to each of the Major Races... maybe just in the Northern Wilderlands Proper, with the Southern Races in #3. Depends on space. Each race gets its own major write-up in the Player's Guide where the race originates or is most prominent.

This won't satisfy everyone, but it is the simplest, quickest, and easiest way for people to be able to use the Wilderlands of High Adventure.

I need to make a sign and post it on my wall: "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" It can go next to the one that says "Success is the Best Revenge"...

James,

Would having NPC classes work as a happy medium? Dragon featured many "back in the day", so as to keep the PC archetypes strong while allowing some creative foes to be put in the PC's path over time -- and to scale said NPC against the PC's in the campaign. I hope I've explained that properly. It seemed clearer in my head.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:32 pm
Battle Stag

moriarty777 wrote:
Or the less expensive Player's Guide to the Wilderlands the Necromancer Games released.
M

Bah! That was actually what I meant to type.

-O

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Ulthal

Zudrak wrote:
Would having NPC classes work as a happy medium? Dragon featured many "back in the day", so as to keep the PC archetypes strong while allowing some creative foes to be put in the PC's path over time -- and to scale said NPC against the PC's in the campaign. I hope I've explained that properly. It seemed clearer in my head.

Oh, there will be new classes in the Journal; they are optional, and the judge can allow them for use as PC classes or reserve them as NPC classes, or not use them at all, as she wishes.

Remember, it is always up the the Judge in the Wilderlands...

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:41 pm
Lore Drake

jamesmishler wrote:
Oh, there will be new classes in the Journal; they are optional, and the judge can allow them for use as PC classes or reserve them as NPC classes, or not use them at all, as she wishes.

Remember, it is always up the the Judge in the Wilderlands...

Of course! Sounds good. I'd rather see them with the stipulation than not see them at all.

I look forward to your next installment of AGJ.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

Psalm 73:26

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:52 pm
Red Cap

ludyee wrote:

So, I would really like a universal WoHA player's guide or maybe "Setting" guide to outline the kind of info that can't be found rules-wise in the C&C core, and fluff-wise in the AGP publication where the info appears...

... [F]or something spanning multiple sub-regions or all of the Wilderlands, a background setting like publication would be wonderful. That way only those new concepts appearing in future installments need be fully explained in the publication in which they appear....

I share this sentiment. Reading through the first article in AGJ#1 (which, on balance, was amazing), I found myself confused by many references that were not explained in AGJ#1 or in other Wilderlands products. It seems that James's version of the Wilderlands differs from the JG and Necro versions, so looking there for explanations was of little help. It's a bit frustrating to come across a term that is unexplained (or only partially explained) and not explained anywhere else.

A Guide that covered this material (even if only in the form of a glossary) would be extremely helpful!

Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:52 pm
Hlobane Orc

You guys know that you can pick up the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands in pdf format at RPGNow right?
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... d=756&it=1

Now, like most of you, I'm not a huge fan of pdf's but, it's better than nada. And it's fairly affordable at roughly $12. I own the pdf (wasn't lucky enough to get in on the printed version in time...) and while it's not awesome, it's informative. (if you're patient.) I actually bought it for the Wilderlands gods, but have found a few other crunchy bits therein.

I've always been curious about any deviations from the Wilderlands that James has planned. While I know that it's inevitably a CK's world, I always am a little hesitant in doling out information to my players that I know will be somehow "contradicted" in forthcoming editions of James' material. i.e. I guess what I'd love to see is some kind of light treatment done in a topical fashion regarding any high level deviations from existing Wilderlands material.

Does that make ANY sense?

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.'

Lewis Carroll

Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:02 pm
Red Cap

jfall wrote:
You guys know that you can pick up the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands in pdf format at RPGNow right?
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... d=756&it=1

A warning to anyone who might purchase this ... I own both the pdf and print version. I don't know if this is still the case, but my pdf of the Player's Guide was not very good. The 'grey border' is very dark, thus making some pages rather hard to read. (I purchased it from RPGnow.)

Quote:
jfall wrote:
I've always been curious about any deviations from the Wilderlands that James has planned. While I know that it's inevitably a CK's world, I always am a little hesitant in doling out information to my players that I know will be somehow "contradicted" in forthcoming editions of James' material. i.e. I guess what I'd love to see is some kind of light treatment done in a topical fashion regarding any high level deviations from existing Wilderlands material.

Does that make ANY sense?

It makes perfect sense to me! I'd love a summary of the main differences between Necro's WoHF and James's WoHA.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:25 pm
Ulthal

Akrasia is correct. The PDF being sold is about the most over-priced PDF I've seen on the virtual shelves considering what you get. It's the worst I've seen put out by a known and respected company.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:43 pm
Renegade Mage

Harry Joy wrote:
Akrasia is correct. The PDF being sold is about the most over-priced PDF I've seen on the virtual shelves considering what you get. It's the worst I've seen put out by a known and respected company.

I'm assuming you meant in terms of the PDF quality since the PDF is half the cover price of the print version of the book.
M

Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:01 pm
Mogrl

moriarty777 wrote:
I'm assuming you meant in terms of the PDF quality since the PDF is half the cover price of the print version of the book.
M

He did say "considering what you get".

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:04 pm
Renegade Mage

Treebore wrote:
He did say "considering what you get".

Sorry... I didn't have my coffee yet.
M

Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:37 pm
Ulthal

moriarty777 wrote:
M

That is exactly what I meant. Sorry if I was unclear. I bought the PDF, paid hard money for it, and it put me off the format for a while. I also own the soft cover, acquired much later, so I can compare the two quite handily.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:08 am
Skobbit

jfall wrote:
Now, like most of you, I'm not a huge fan of pdf's but, it's better than nada. And it's fairly affordable at roughly $12. I own the pdf (wasn't lucky enough to get in on the printed version in time...) and while it's not awesome, it's informative.

The print version is available from FRP Games and is actually on sale for $11.95.
http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=prod ... il&p=44475

Eric.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:05 pm
Hlobane Orc

ludyee wrote:
The print version is available from FRP Games and is actually on sale for $11.95.
http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=prod ... il&p=44475

Eric.

Sadly out of stock..."sniff"
Anyone else find anything affordable? (non-pdf?)

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.'

Lewis Carroll

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:45 am
Ungern

holy cow... mine just shipped from there... must have grabed the last one

Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2