C&C Demo in Dallas, GA

Where players gather to discuss the setting and game!
blackmote
Mist Elf

C&C Demo in Dallas, GA

Post by blackmote »

Monday Jan 21st is a holiday for my workplace. I plan to camp out most of the day at our local game store. I will have with me the C&C PHB, CKG, and M&T books, as well as my CK Screens - all purchased from Tyler at GaryCon 2012. I will also have the new Pathfinder Bestiary (cardstock minis) boxed set, standard metal miniatures, a couple of vinyl mats, about 8 different sets of D&D dungeon tiles, no less than 30 different pre-generated 3rd-4th level C&C characters... and The Ruins of UnderMountain campaign setting.

The game store owner will be announcing this C&C demo on their Facebook and website, as well as setting up an event page. My goal is to introduce Castles & Crusades to anyone brave or foolish enough to make the descent into Halaster's Halls. I figure this would be the best way to 'drop' prospective C&C players into the game system without wasting too much time. 'Trial by fire' as it were. The setting is perfect for this type of round-robin playing, with the near-endless labyrinth of dark halls and chambers, numerous adventuring parties chasing monsters hither and yonder, and the occasional roving teleport trap; not to mention the physical traps to take care of those pesky exiting players.

so that leaves me with one question for the roleplaying explorers out there...

• How long has it been since you have seen the light of day? :twisted:

btw, you can read about the exploits of my regular group here.
"Nothing is so terrible that a huge red dragon can't make it just a hell of a lot worse."
-Dragon Magazine, issue #194, pg. 3

blackmote
Mist Elf

Re: C&C Demo in Dallas, GA

Post by blackmote »

• Down Selvetarm

The taproom of the Yawning Portal is dim, cozy and warm. Smoke from a dozen
different pipes mingles in a haze that hangs just below the ceiling, darting in and out of
the exposed rafters. Small groups of patrons sit at low tables, trading conversation in low
voices, occasionally raised in jest or anger, before sinking back to a quiet hubbub again.

Waitresses in low-cut bodices and leather aprons weave skillfully between the tables,
dispensing foaming jacks of ale and small glasses of dark amber whisky and zzar, dispensing
jokes to friendly patrons, and occasional slaps to those who try to be too friendly.

The fire is burning low, but the rain pours outside. And everyone seems determined to stay
a little while longer, enjoying the warm comfort of the place. Men order another drink and
mentally rehearse excuses to angry spouses. In short, it is like a thousand other taprooms
up and down the Sword Coast North...

...except for the well.

In the center of the taproom, surrounded by a foot-high wall of brick, is a ten-foot wide
circular hole, whose brick lined shaft descends into darkness. It is this - the only 'publicly
known' entrance into UnderMountain - that gives the Yawning Portal tavern its name. Above
the hole, a hefty block and tackle is suspended from a large stone crossbeam, and a stout
hemp rope is slung through it, one end descending into the dark void.

Suddenly, the voices in the taproom die away as a faint clanking sound, of metal being
struck on metal, echoes up the shaft from the depths. There is a heartbeat's pause, and
then two burly men leap forward and begin to tug on the tethered rope, hauling something
up the shaft.

A minute passes, and then two, and all the while tension builds in the taproom. Finally the
hoisted cargo comes into view: a man, badly wounded and clinging with desperation to the
knotted loop at the end of the rope. Several patrons rush forward to drag the barely conscious
man to the taproom floor. His chainmail is ripped away in several places, and the exposed
flesh badly burned. His hair is matted with blood, and large cuts can be seen marring his
soot-stained face.

A tall man wearing priestly robes and the silver disk of Tymora pushes the onlookers aside
and kneels beside the dying man. "Lie still" he commands. "The others?"

"F-fallen" gasps the injured man. "*cough* The statue - s-spiders - we didn't..."

"Hush" responds the priest. "Tymora smiles on you. Luck is with you this night. Rest now."
The priest lays his holy symbol on the man's brow, muttering a few divine words. The man
sighs as color returns to his cheeks, and he sinks into a deep sleep.

As he does so, his left hand relaxes from its previous tight grip and a single gold coin falls
out and rolls across the taproom floor, coming to an abrupt rest against the toe of a tall,
dour-looking man who has stepped out from behind the bar. "There's your fee, Durnan."
calls the priest without looking up as he attempts to remove the man's shredded armor.

"Aye." responds Durnan. "See to him. He left a tithing behind the bar before he descended."

~*~*~*~*~*~
"Nothing is so terrible that a huge red dragon can't make it just a hell of a lot worse."

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

So, blackmote... how did your demo turn out?
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

blackmote
Mist Elf

Post by blackmote »

had about 7 players throughout the day, peaking at about 5. And everyone seemed to enjoy the simplicity of the system, as well as the method I used to draw them into the game (lost in the maze of UnderMountain).

I've had a couple of regular sessions since that time, and I plan to hold another UnderMountain/C&C demo at the store again soon.

I am also looking at trying this demo at a few regional conventions this Spring & Summer. :D

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Good news blackmote. I hope even just one of your players tries his own adventure with C&C because of their experience. Crusade on!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

blackmote
Mist Elf

Post by blackmote »

finally gearing up to run more of these demos at the game store (and maybe more than one game store in the area) in between May and June. I'll update soon. :)

blackmote
Mist Elf

Post by blackmote »

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

That's a nice demo sheet! I've got one that uses the phb cover and logo, but the font for the game and time is nowhere in the ballpark of your's.

blackmote
Mist Elf

Post by blackmote »

Thanks Tyler! :) Just trying to make you guys proud as I attempt to make more roleplaying explorers in my region aware of C&C.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Impressive.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Mac Golden
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mac Golden »

Freakin awesome!

blackmote
Mist Elf

Post by blackmote »

so I ended up with 8 players ranging in age from 9 to 52 years old for a couple of hours last night. :o pretty cool.

I'll give a longer recap (with pictures) by this weekend. Just been crazy busy since last night. :)

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

8 people?? I needed some of your players recently. Can't wait to hear about it.