Voice Chat Programs - need help finding one that works

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Wulfgarn

Voice Chat Programs - need help finding one that works

Post by Wulfgarn »

Ok- Skype has been really hard to work with and I am getting sick of it

I am trying to find another program that will allow us to game over the internet with voice.

I want to know if any of you out there have used other Voice chat programs and how they have worked for you or how they have sucked etc.

I am also considering Fantacy grounds as a possible vehicle rather than Open Rpg

please let me know your experiences

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

So far the only experiences I've had with voice is Skype. You're right though Skype can be a real pain at times.

Emryys

Post by Emryys »

There's...
Ventrilo - My fav, works well and free for a small server, easy to setup and used for iCoN - VGT convention
Teamspeak - Quite popular, especially with the gamer MMORPG crowd...
Roger Wilco - An old stand by, that works fine...

Take em for a spin...

Astinus

Post by Astinus »

We use TeamSpeak, in conjunction with FGII. Some of us don't have the bandwidth for Skype, so TeamSpeak has been great.

It hasn't missed a beat for us. We rent a very reliable server out of Texas for $3 a month, although you can host it yourself for free.

Wulfgarn

Post by Wulfgarn »

Thankyou for your input - Can you tell me more about FGII and how it plays say in contrast to Open RPG

Emryys

Post by Emryys »

Wulfgarn wrote:
Thankyou for your input - Can you tell me more about FGII and how it plays say in contrast to Open RPG

If you're in the market for a VGT, come by iCoN - VGT convention and try them out for free....

FGII is nice that it's got a C&C ruleset available

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

For the number of times I have used Skype Marty, there have been only two times that I flat out couldn't 'get on', and that was due to the settings on my laptop, not the program itself. I agree, however, that it is something the bunch of us should look into if there is a more reliable free Internet based chatting program out there. May take a few of us, say, 3 or 4 some night to DL a couple of the ones suggested, and play around with em.

However, until that is done, I'll keep with Skype and its issues. The problem you had on Wednesday may have been due to the fact that I was the one hosting the chat and probably the only eastern Canadian participate in our group. You probably wouldn't have had the issue if everyone on, was in the West coast area of the United States.

Unfortunately for me, and for all those that I game with, it will be an issue due to geography, and probably not any one type of program used.

(The 7.5 million users online didn't help either surely
L.S.

Society Member: http://www.cncsociety.org/

Wulfgarn

Post by Wulfgarn »

Aye Laddie- That might be it -

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I'm going to use telepathy from now on.

It causes mild headaches and nose bleeds in the receivers, but I think it's worth it overall.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

slimykuotoan wrote:
I'm going to use telepathy from now on.

It causes mild headaches and nose bleeds in the receivers, but I think it's worth it overall.

Society Member: http://www.cncsociety.org/