openRPG tutorial - How to make a Quick Macro Sheet

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
spak_man
Red Cap

openRPG tutorial - How to make a Quick Macro Sheet

Post by spak_man »

Im sure anyone who uses openRPG has at one time or another realized that there are a few rolls you make all the time (I.E. rolls to hit, damage etc..) and wished that there was an easy way to save a few of your common rolls rather than having to type in the modifier/number of dice and click the die each time.

There is!

I will do my best to explain how to create a simple die rolling macro sheet to speed up your game play a little bit as well as give a basic understanding of how the game tree works

Step 1) understanding die rolls: In addition to using the handy little dice roller bar at the bottom of you screen, you can type a die roll formula into the chat bar, hit enter and it will roll it for you. Seem useless? not at all.. using the chat bar method of rolling a DM can easily generate a weird die roll when odd situations come up (like generating a random number from 1-7) and there are many operators you can attach to the die roll if need be.

To make a die roll simply type the die roll you need between square brackets and hit enter

ex.

[1d4]

or

[2d6+3]

or

[9d10.takeHighest(4).open(10)]

For a full list of operators and what they do follow this link
http://openrpg.wrathof.com/faq/How_to_M ... _Dieroller

step 2) Creating a macro sheet: Open openRPG and expand the openRPG 1.7.1 option in the game tree. open templates, then containers and double click on "create new form"

You will see a new item appears in the game tree a blank form called "form" right click on it, chose design and rename it to "macros" (or whatever you want)

step 3) Creating your macros: Now go to openRPG1.7.1 -> templates -> nodes and double click on create new text box. An item called "text" will appear in your game tree, click and drag that into "macros" it will ask you if you want to add the node as a child, you click yes. Right click on "text" and re-name it "roll1" check off send button and type [1d20+3] in the area where it says text and voila, you now have a simple die roller macro sheet!

Step4) Using your Die Rolling Macro Sheet: Double click on "macros" to open it and click on the send button next to "roll1" and the roll you entered in "roll1" will be sent to chat and resolved

you can add as many rollers as you want to the sheet by repeating step 3, and if you want to, you can add some text outside of the square brackets to make your roll easily identifiable in the chat window

ex)

Long sword attack [1d20+3]

will give

Long sword attack [1d20+3] => [11,3] = (14)

as a result

Hope a few of you found this useful and if you have any questions about this or openRPG in general let me know, im far from an expert but ill do my best to find the answer if I dont know it

"thats the one where you explode. You sure you wanna do that?" -Titania

"It has a Rate of fire bonus of ... Ouch!" - JarredMcgee
QUOTES FROM GMS
"A DM is like a duck." -Aramis
"thats the one where you explode. You sure you wanna do that?" -Titania
"It has a Rate of fire bonus of ... Ouch!" - JarredMcgee

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

You think you're SOOOOOOOooOOOOOoooo fancy!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Um, you expect me to understand that?

Thanks! Now I just need to get off my butt and do it.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Bless you Andre. I have been bugging people to tell me how to so this for months cause I was too lazy to just figure it out on my own.

I'll check out your instructions in my game tomorrow.

Thanks
Rob

Society Member: http://www.cncsociety.org/

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Yep, fancy.