(Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: (Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Tree, I know you had said something about increasing skills and that it was a multiplication thing which I understood. You also said something about when you increase by one tick, you add your ability for a standard campaign, but you were going to do it differently since we are doing a campaign (something about a roll). Can you explain that a little more. I plan on increasing some skills and adding a couple of new ones and would like to know the particulars. Thanks.

R-
On your first buy/tic, you get to add your best relevant attribute + the dice roll. If its a Universal skill, you get x2 your attribute the first time, effectively, because you already have it calculated in for being a Universal skill. After your first buy up, you only are buying the dice. That is the difference. By the book, you get to add your attribute every time.

Now when you increase or obtain skills, you always have to spend at least 1 BP to get them. This is because of the learning modifier you can get from WIS and INT. If it is a 1 BP skill, and you have a 5 learning modifier for it, you will need to get it more than once. Now also remember, every time you increase a skill, the cost goes up. Using the 1 BP skill cost as an example, its 1 BP for the first increase, 1+1 for the second, 1+1+1 for the third, and so on. So to exceed your learning modifier by at least 1 BP, you will have to buy 3 increases, because totalled up, the cost is 6. So 6-5=1, you meet the requirement of spending at least 1 BP. The good news is, because of your learning modifier, you got 3 increases for the cost of 1, since you only pay the 1 BP. Anyone without a learning modifier would have to pay 6 BP to get all 3 advances.

The higher BP skills can get very costly. Lets use a cost of 8 as an example. First buy is 8. Simple. Second increase is 16, third is 24, and so on. Even with a Learning modifier this is still a very expensive buy up, just less so. With no modiifier, it gets painfully expensive, quickly. The good thing for those with a learning modifier, you get that deduction with each buy. So if your mod is a 5, you saved 15 BP over the 3 buy ups. So you pay 33 BP instead of 48 for the 3 increases.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:

After character creation Talents are the only option.

Drat ... time to start saving bps !

Having never played it before, can I get advice ... is it worth it to save for those big 50 bp talents? Fo they help that much over the long run? Or is it better to up your skills?
Treebore wrote:
The higher BP skills can get very costly. Lets use a cost of 8 as an example. First buy is 8. Simple. Second increase is 16, third is 24, and so on. Even with a Learning modifier this is still a very expensive buy up, just less so. With no modiifier, it gets painfully expensive, quickly. The good thing for those with a learning modifier, you get that deduction with each buy. So if your mod is a 5, you saved 15 BP over the 3 buy ups. So you pay 33 BP instead of 48 for the 3 increases.
Rgr on them getting costly fast. I did som 'what if' work outs on Thomas . Boy some of them cost a lot and sdd up quick.

That said, it is good to know the learning modifier counts for every pip. That helps ... some ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
Drat ... time to start saving bps !

Having never played it before, can I get advice ... is it worth it to save for those big 50 bp talents? Fo they help that much over the long run? Or is it better to up your skills?

I've never done it, and I have never seen anyone do it. The only one who can really answer if it is worth it is you, but my feelings are that the skills are more helpful, over all. Just usually outside of shooting. The only talents I have seen people go for after character creation is the one that helps you heal faster, and the one that helps you avoid disease/infection.

Remember, this game is pretty realistic, so if you get shot, and don't die from that, the infection might get the job done.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have plenty of time to work on it tomorrow since I'll be in ISS monitoring a student all day. The joys of being a teacher's aide.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I may have a conflict tomorrow. I'm going to work on cleaning up my character today and will update here. I'll let you know by tomorrow morning on whether or not I can make the session.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Looks like we may have a potential new player sitting in tonight. So far, they are only interested in Aces and Eights.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Suppose I should work on my character.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Looks like we may have a potential new player sitting in tonight. So far, they are only interested in Aces and Eights.

Cool, hope they can jump in !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm in tonight, looks like my conflict may be next week. Bad news is I haven't had time to update Enapa yet...

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Updated on 11/14/16

Here is an updated Jacob. I picked up a tick in Observation and 2 ticks in Intimidate. Apparently, I already had skill in Listening and Riding, but I didn't see them last session (they were at the very bottom of the Skills section). Plus I bought a horse and some other things to go with it. I need to roll my 2nd tick of Intimidate yet, but other than that, I should be good to go. Other than I want to buy an oilskin tarp (8x8 or 10x10), but couldn't find a price for it anywhere.

R-

Jacob Allen Powers

Sex: Male
Hght: 5’ 9”
Wght: 189 lbs
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Black
Handedness: Right Handed
Race: Black
Religion: Pentecostal
Origins: Dallas, Republic of Texas

Str 16.63 (DM: +3; Lift: 318; Cry: 118; Drg 95)
Int 15.14 (SLM: 4; AccM 2)
Wis 12.46 (SLM: 1; SpdM: 1)
Dex 15.22 (Acc/To Hit: 2; SpdM: -1)
Con 13.25 (HPM: 2)
LKS 8.42 (RepM: -2; FameM: -2; ChaM: -1)
Cha 13.80 (SLM: 2; RepM: 2; Max# Comps: 6)

Fame: 82 (Minor Celeb - +1 to all die rolls, +1/10 BP gained, 1 free reroll/session)
BPs: 0 or 2 (31 Spent)

Number of Gunfights: 9
Hit Points: 26
Speed: -1
Accuracy: 7

Skills (Ticks/Mastery) – roll under
Agriculture (2/71%) – 29
Glean Information (4/32%) – 68
Interrogation (3/43%) – 57
Intimidate (3/68%) - 32
Language: Spanish (1/81%) – 19
Listening (4/33%) – 67
Mathematics (1/81%) – 19
Observation (2/69%) – 31
Reading Comp/Pen. (2/65%) – 35
Riding (2/54%) – 46
Sneaking (1/65%) – 35
Tracking (4/22%) – 78

Talents
Damage Bonus (+1 to all dmg)
Dead Eye (Any target over 30 feet away is treated as 1 ranger increment closer)
Veteran Gunfighter (?)

Quirks
Hardcase (hard & feelingless)
Lynch Lawman (over developed sense of Justice)

Flaws
Epileptic (d10: 6 or lower seizure; d12 for hour & d4 for am/pm; d6-1 for mins & d10-1 for seconds; d12 for severity)

Firearms
Colt SAA (7.5 inch barrel; Revolver; .45 cal Cartridge; 6 shoots; Draw Spd Mod: +1; Reload Spd: 10; Dmg: 1d6+1; Range Increments: 5’/+8, 10’/+4, 15’/+2, 20’/0, 25’/-1, 30’/-2, 40’/-3, 50’/-4, 70’/-6, 90’/-8. 120’/-12, 150’/-16, 200’/-24, 250’/-32, 300’/-40, 350’/-50)
Sharps Long Range (34inch barrel; Rifle; .45 cal Cartridge; 1 shoot; Draw Spd Mod: +8; Reload Spd: 25; Dmg: 2d8; Range Increments: 5’/+8, 10-15’/+4, 20-25’/+3, 30’/+2, 40-50’/+1, 70-90’/0, 120’/-1, 150’/-2, 200’/-3, 250’/-4, 300’/-5, 350’/-6, 400’/-7, 450’/-8, 500’/-9, 600’/-10, 700’/-12, 800’/-14, 900’/-16, 1000’/-18, 1250’/-20, 1500’/-25)

Combat Mods
Speed: -1
Accuracy: 7
+1 to all damage
Any target over 30 feet away is treated as 1 ranger increment closer
+6 Aiming
+2 Steady
+2 Prone

Items
300 rounds of .45 cal cartridges
Fancy rig/holster
Pocket knife
Silver Ring
Gold Nugget ($25)
Clothes (Shirt, vest, pants, boots, cowboy hat)
Oilskin Slicker
Oilskin Tarp (10’ x 10’)
Canteen
Mess Kit
Field Glasses
Hunting Knife
Rifle Scabbard
Rope (8 yds)
Hatchet
Flint & steel
Trail Rations (3 days)
Used Saddle (w/stirrups)
Saddle Blanket
Used Saddle bags
Leather Brindle (6 ft)
Mustang Horse
Pack Mule

Cash on Hand: $120.28

Thumbnail Description
Jacob Powers was never a slave, only a paid servant of a Texas Ranger captain and his family. The ranger saw potential in Jacob and taught him the ins and outs of shooting and tracking. When his mentor was killed (shot in the back, actually), Jacob set out looking for the killers and brought them in, filled with lead.
Since then he’s been tracking wanted men all over the country, and he doesn’t often bring them back alive. He prefers to specialize in murderers.

Notes:
-I brought in Dolly, Daniel, and Wes alive and Frank dead. Collected bounties and split with my posse.
-Going with the Professor to check on Indians.
-Brought in some outlaws with the Professor.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote: Other than I want to buy an oilskin tarp (8x8 or 10x10), but couldn't find a price for it anywhere.

R-
$2.00.

I looked in my PDF copy of the Montgomery Wards catalogue to guesstimate a price.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Enapay (Roars bravely in the face of danger)

Str 14 / 05 +2 damage; lift 235, carry 77, drag 588
Int 15 / 75 +10 BP, +4 skill modifier, +2 accuracy
Wis 14 / 58 +6 BP, + 3 skill modifier, - 1 speed modifier
Dex 15 / 87 + 2 accuracy,, -1 speed modifier
Con 13 / 15 + 2 hit points
Lks 13 / 55 +1 CHA, + 2 Reputation, +2 Fame
Cha 13 / 88 + 3 BP, +2 skill modifier, + 2 Reputation, 6 companions

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 177 lbs
Lakota Indian Bandito
Western South Dakota

Speed: -2
To Hit: +3
Accuracy: +4

Fame: 5

HP: 23

Skills:
Animal Empathy - 49 Average 2 BP 1 tally
Animal Herding - 39 Advanced 6 BP 4 tallies
Animal Husbandry (horse) - 85 Novice 6 BP 3 tallies
Animal Lore - 31 Advanced 6 BP 3 tallies
Animal Training - 50 Average 10 BP 1 tally
Camouflage - 42 Advanced 24 BP 4 tallies
Deception - 38 Advanced 8 BP 2 tallies
Distraction - 36 Advanced 1 BP 1 tally
Gambling - 98 Novice 7 BP 1 tally
Hiding - 13 Expert 8 BP 2 tallies
Hunting - 64 Average 5 BP 1 tally
Intimidation - 34 Advanced 2 BP 1 tally
Language - 76 Novice 5 BP 1 tally
Medicine - 66 Novice 10 BP 1 tally
Observe - 71 Average 3 BP 1 tally
Ride - 68 Average 6 BP 2 tallies
Rope use - 64 Average 2 BP 1 tally
Searching - 76 Novice 10 BP 2 tallies
Sneak - 45 Advanced 8 BP 1 tally
Survival - 17 Expert 14 BP 2 tallies
Swim - 70 Average 1 BP 1 tally
Track - 90 Novice 9 BP 1 tally
Weather Sense - 18 Expert 6 BP 2 tallies
Total 194 BP - 75 base, 65 quirks, 19 abilities, 35 reputation

Quirks / Flaws
Touchy individual, Ambivalent, Clean Freak

Talents:
Courage 10 BP
Fast Healer 10 BP
Dodge 25 BP

Weapons:
1866 Winchester - .45 rifle (2d6 damage, +4 count speed draw modifier, 10 reload speed per round)
4 boxes of 50 rounds each
Remington 1875 (7 1/2" barrel) - .44 6 shooter (d5+1 damage, +1 count speed draw modifier, 10 reload speed per round)
1 box of 100 rounds
Knife (Hunting/Fighting)

Equipment:
Flask
Bedroll
Flint and Steel
Canteen
Matches (100)
Quick Draw Holster
Gloves
Belt
Men's Pants
Underwear
Cowboy hat
Plain Shirt
Duster
Leather boots
Mess kit
Used saddle (w/stirrups)
Used saddle bags (2)
Horse

Cash on hand: $ 139.60

Background:
Born as the second boy of Tacanipiluta (Red Tomahawk) and Chumani (Dew drops), Enapay came into
the world wide eyed and roaring, seeming unafraid. Raised in the Lakota tribe, as he grew he established
himself among his peers as a good athlete, fighter, and hunter, but with a very touchy personality.
However, his quirky need to always have things clean, and non-commital attitude made him somewhat of an outcast.
He was disowned by the tribe when he was caught stealing in order to gamble with some white traders that
had passed through the territory. Not surprisingly, he fell in with a gang of rough men up to no good. While willing to steal
in order to gamble and make ends meet, Enapay refused to kill women and children during raids, which caused
friction with the gang's leaders. He eventually snuck away in the dead of night, sure he would be killed by the suspiscious
outlaws. He is homeless, aimless, and nearly broke.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

They went up to the Benton Military Compound via train from 3 Creeks. The Professor went and met with the Commander, Col. Wayne. Revealing that he is actually a Federal Agent here to look into any troubles with the Indian Reservation. The Colonel gave him a run down of the usual problems, violating the indian Reservation borders, getting beat up and brought in by the Indians, and so on. They then went out to the Indian Reservation to Bear Paw Mountains, the South West end closest to the border river of the Missouri.

After setting up camp they, the Professor and Penapay, then went down to introduce themselves to the Blackfoot Chieften on the East side of the Mountains. Tom and Jacob stayed at camp. About 90 minutes after the Professor and Pen left, Tom spotted a Indian watching them from behind a boulder and some bushes. The sun had given the Indian away to Tom.

Meanwhile, the Professor, being able to speak to the Blackfeet in their language, got accepted into their Siksika Ganws-ksahkooy, and were presented to their Chief before his Kai. The Professor then set about successfully negotiating with Chief John Christian (The Chief refused to give them his Indian name.) to have permission to dig in the Bear Paw mountains for bones of the great thunder lizards of ancient times. The Chief also gave them permission to hunt, but any furs were to be turned over to the tribe. The Chief also let the Professor know his camp was already being watched, and that if he had not come to him, they were to have chased them off their lands with the light of the new Ki'somma (Sun). The Professor and Penapay then returned to their camp. Eventually they realized a Aakii (Woman) was following them. She too was on a horse.

Upon returning to camp the Aakii approached them and explained that Chief Christian had sent her to make sure that while on his lands they did not starve or freeze to death or die from some other stupidity. In the closing hours of daylight they decided to go hunt for fresh meat supplies to go with the beans, dried meats, and other staple supplies they had brought along.

They had a VERY successful hunt, finding and killing 3 Awatoyi (Deer). They brought them back to camp, dressed them, then turned the furs and two of the carcasses over to the Aakii, which by now they were told to call Sunrise, to give to her Tribe. 3 of her Tribe came in at her signal to pick up the goods. They then prepared and ate a very good meal, and bedded down for the night, trusting the Indians to watch over them.

In the morning they started digging. By early afternoon, in the 4th layer of sediment, they found bone, but it wasn't fossilized, but it was big. Within a couple of hours they uncovered enough of it for the Professor to identify it as a Bear of some variety, with the skeleton mostly intact (about 70% there). Dating it by what layer it was under and in, the Professor put the age of the skeleton at very roughly 6,000 years. So Ancient, and still of value to the scientific community. He was sure his fellowes at Yale would have fun examining it in detail.

As they cleaned up and started to settle down for dinner, an Indian came close and apparently signaled to Sunrise for her to come to him. She did, and after about a minute of discussion hurriedly came back to the Professor and Company. She then told them how about an hour earlier a dozen white men on horses had come into their territory and were heading up along the Northern side of the Bear Paw Mountains.

The Professor, being a Federal Agent, spotting a situation he was specifically sent here to deal with, immediately saddled up, along with the others, to go find the trail of these men.
2 hours later, they found the tracks, in the dark. Tom found them. He apparently can see in the dark as well as he can see during the day, at least when it comes to finding tracks.

The Professor decided they should push on, since catching up to them sooner rather than later was critical. An hour later a probable campfire was spotted roughly 400 yards ahead. They slowly, and ineptly, snuck up to the camp. Apparently the guards were equally inept at hearing or spotting them, because they got within about 120 yards before any reaction from the camp occurred. GUNFIRE!

The Professor yelled out, telling them to stop shooting, they were there just to see what was going on. Several more shots were fired, all apparently blindly in the darkness, since none came close to hitting any of them.

The Professor then yelled out, ""As an officer of the Federal Government, I now consider you outlaws! Light them up, boys!!

And that is where the session ended. Next session our 4 heroes enter into a gun fight with a full dozen outlaws. Will they live? Will they prevail? Tune in next session to find out. Which is in two weeks! When a new hero will join the group, maybe.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Maximus, I kind of hate to ask this, because I STRONGLY suspect your going to say, "No, I didn't."

Did you decrease your BP costs by your relevant Learning Modifiers for CHA, INT and WIS?

Another sneaking suspicion I have. Did you know about and spend the Bonus BP you got from those same attributes? I see you have their Bonus lsited, but your skills seem too low.

Also, did you get and use the 60 BP you got for your Reputation being a 20?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Tonight we find out how well you guys do in a gunfight of 4 versus 12.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Treebore wrote:Maximus, I kind of hate to ask this, because I STRONGLY suspect your going to say, "No, I didn't."

Did you decrease your BP costs by your relevant Learning Modifiers for CHA, INT and WIS?

Another sneaking suspicion I have. Did you know about and spend the Bonus BP you got from those same attributes? I see you have their Bonus lsited, but your skills seem too low.

Also, did you get and use the 60 BP you got for your Reputation being a 20?
Honestly don't remember, its been so long...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Waht the Bear PAw mountains look like in thbe area you are in:

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Montana-In ... ains6.shtm

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Might be late. Wife just got home. She doesn't look well.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

OK, you guys accomplished a lot, and it was the talk of EVERYONE in the local area, including the Indian tribes. Probably more so among the Indians.

You each have earned:

32 Reputation
34 Fame
20 BP

Also, I was asked last night if there was a kind of Luck mechanic in Aces and Eights. Well, there is. For every 10 Reputation points you spend, you get a reroll that directly effects your character. So any roll you make, or I make to shoot you, etc... you can spend 10 Rep to force a reroll, as often as you like, as long as you actually have 10 Reputation points. If you have the Rep to spend, you can reroll the same roll 3, 4, 5 times.

For those who have a Rep score of 71-100, you gain the following benefits: +1 to ALL die rolls, including damage. +1 BP per 10 earned. 1 Mulligan, IE a free reroll on any 1 roll during the session.

If anyones Rep is 101 or higher, let me know.

Fame. Any of you who have 50 points of Fame, let me know that too, because it also gains you mechanical advantage in gun fights.

Gun Fights: Gun fights are the Primary way you improve your Speed and Accuracy.
Green (0 gun fights) +4 to speed, -2 to Accuracy.
1 Gunfight: +2 to Speed, no change to Accuracy.
2-3 Gunfights: Penalty of 1 to Speed, +1 to Accuracy
4-6 Gunfights: No speed Penalty any longer, +2 to Accuracy
7-10 Gunfights (Jacob): -1 to Speed, +3 to Accuracy
11+ Gunfights: -2 to Speed, +4 to Accuracy

So between Fame, Rep, and especially Gunfighting, you can become a very feared/respected/admired Gunfighter. Sorry I completely forgot about these aspects of the rules. Just shows why players should read them too, to help make sure the GM is remembering everything.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

it would have been good to be able to reroll that '1' , but as the fight went it would have made no overall difference ... it would have saved a bit of pride but no big difference

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Trying to get my character updated. (I updated him. The BP question doesn't effect what I did.)

Jacob now has a Fame score of 82 and a Reputation of 74. He only has 9 gunfights.

Do I gain a bonus 2 BP from this session now that my Fame is above 70 or is that for future BP gained?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Trying to get my character updated. (I updated him. The BP question doesn't effect what I did.)

Jacob now has a Fame score of 82 and a Reputation of 74. He only has 9 gunfights.

Do I gain a bonus 2 BP from this session now that my Fame is above 70 or is that for future BP gained?

R-
Future. It only takes effect AFTER your score gets that high.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I am going to be slumming it tonight. I am on the road, so will be running the game on hotel wi fi. Hopefully it will give me all the bandwidth I need to run Roll 20 and Discord, but I have been finding the free wi fi in these hotels is crappier than my DSL at home.

BTW, finally saw Doctor Strange with the wife last night. Definitely worth seeing in 3-D!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Sooooooo it is almost like using back woods Oklahoma internet :lol:

Hope it is a good game tonight, the last call of the day was an angry argumentative guy that was sure it was a conspiracy and that I was lying to him and trying to help the VA ... yeah that went well when he called me a 2 faced liar... needless to say I need to come out guns a blazing tonight!

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Bad news. I apparently ate something BAD at one of the restaurants I ate at yesterday. So my insides are doing all kinds of twisting, turning, back and front flips, etc...

So no game, while I live in the bathroom for however long it takes... :cry:

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Bad news. I apparently ate something BAD at one of the restaurants I ate at yesterday. So my insides are doing all kinds of twisting, turning, back and front flips, etc...

So no game, while I live in the bathroom for however long it takes... :cry:

Been there - usually it was after eating some unknown meat on a stick in some 3rd world country - so get yourself better.

See you next week

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Sorry to hear that Tree. Feel better.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Anyone remember what the split was for the bounties and other things we brought in the last time?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Anyone remember what the split was for the bounties and other things we brought in the last time?

R-

You guys didn't cash out anything other than the bounties, so it was $250 split 4 ways. I thought you might sell most of the horses, and without rolling you could have gotten $40 each, plus more for the tack. The Morgan would have been more like $80, before any rolls. Yet I would keep him, and look at the horse training rules.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Thanks.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads