Gringnr's Sunday Night Spacejacking

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Gringnr's Sunday Night Spacejacking

Post by Tadhg »

Great write-up!

Thanks for posting.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:Great write-up!

Thanks for posting.

Glad you like it! I will try to do the rest ASAP. As for this coming Sunday, neither Penny-Whistle nor Aergraith will be able to make it. So, I wanted to see what the rest of the group thought about playing without them. In that case, I would pay them as NPCs. I just wanted to get a concensus. I am torn, because we already go two weeks between games, so I hate to skip it. On the other hand, I feel like we have a really good group dynamic going here, and it obviously won't be the same without 'em. SDon78, Rhuvein, what do you think? Ultimately, as referee, I am here to facilitate the enjoyment of the group. So, lemme know what you'd like to do.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I'm up for playing and would be happy to run their chars in the game.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:I'm up for playing and would be happy to run their chars in the game.

Waiting to get Sdon78's opinion, should know in a little bit...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Going to the in-laws today, not sure when I'll be back. They're in Indiana and the resort traffic from MI through IN back to Chicago is heavy on Sunday afternoons-evening.

So, I'll watch this space and if I get back in time can play.

Otherwise, have a great evening!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Nevermind, we're not going ~ so if there is a game - I'm in!

:D

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I think I'd rather wait until everyone can be present. I think SDon78 would, too. Also, I may or may not need to take my dogs to an animal hospital, so my availability is likely to be touch and go anyway. I will stay in touch, maybe we can return to this game next week if neither Rhu nor Aergraith want to run anything.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

OK, sounds good.

See everyone next week!

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Prepping for Sunday's game!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Cool. Looking forward to the game!

8-)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Guess I am in tonight, Nate has cancelled.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

DISAPPEARANCE ON ARAMAT

~Part 2: Arrival on Aramat~

Despite their concerns about the intrusion into their ship's computer, the team pressed on to Aramat. Thankfully, their trip to the unihabited planet was uneventful.

Touching down, the team saw the Fidei Defensor, Alandra Chadra's university-loaned vessel, on a flat section of rock at the sparse Aramat starport- a quonset hut with a radio antenna. Nothing seemed amiss there. Seeing an emergency beacon, Dr. Zenbureasal activated it, unsure what the team would find on Aramat, and looking to hedge their bets.

The team searched the ship, and found that there were no immediate signs of foul play or other mishap aboard the Fidei Defensor. Seemingly, the ship held no clues (and, sadly for Alexei, no alcohol).

Dr. Zenbureasal accessed the ship's computer, and found some logs kept by the crew. Some were made on board, and others were remotely transmitted after Alandra and the students had left the ship to head to the excavation site. Viewing the logs, the team discovered that one of the students, Erik, is interested in unusual and seldom-used radio frequencies. This raised some suspicions at first, but upon examination of his room and belongings, it seemed to be nothing more than an extracurricular activity that Erik enjoyed.

The team learned that after leaving their ship aboard an ATV, the teacher and students travelled toward the excavation site. Perhaps traveling too fast, the student's ATV threw a track and had to be repaired.Soon after they set off again, Erik excitedly discovered some unusual radio activity, which he took to have been left by a previous visitor to Aramat as part of a "radio-caching" type of game sometimes played by students who shared his interests. But Alandra did not seem to want to take time away from what the students were there for. Further logs revealed that the students had a hard time finding the dig. They decided to make a pattern of ever widening circles in an effort to find it. Erik was happy, as this would likely take them past the source of the radio frequencies he wished to investigate.

To be continued...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I'll be along in a few minutes . .

:P

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Game on tonight if everyone is down. SDon78 and I are good to go...

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Gringnr wrote:Game on tonight if everyone is down. SDon78 and I are good to go...
Aergraith and I will be there =)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Not sure if we were doing bursts and automatic fire correctly last game. Not sure though, I looked through the rules a little while we were playing and there were several things
- Burst are 4 shots. Is that already included in the damage for Submachine Gun?
- Automatic gun has two different lines to read depending on the fire mode.
- There is something in there about rolling twice to hit with Submachine Gun, or hitting twice on the same target?
- Do you roll to hit and damage for each shot in the burst?
- Adjacent targets are always hit by bursts too at a penalized DM. Up to 2 targets; so does that mean the aimed-at target takes two hits (roll twice as above) and the other two bullets travel to other targets.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Aergraith wrote:Not sure if we were doing bursts and automatic fire correctly last game. Not sure though, I looked through the rules a little while we were playing and there were several things
- Burst are 4 shots. Is that already included in the damage for Submachine Gun?
- Automatic gun has two different lines to read depending on the fire mode.
- There is something in there about rolling twice to hit with Submachine Gun, or hitting twice on the same target?
- Do you roll to hit and damage for each shot in the burst?
- Adjacent targets are always hit by bursts too at a penalized DM. Up to 2 targets; so does that mean the aimed-at target takes two hits (roll twice as above) and the other two bullets travel to other targets.
I'm not sure we are doing auto fire correctly either, we will look at ot mos def.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I may be 5 minutes late or may not

But may

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I shall be there . . :?

;)

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

SDon78 was kind enough to dg up these clarifications for the Traveller wound rules for us. Or for me. From the Roll20 chat:
SDon78: Mark Miller's errata on healing and recovery as published in JTAS: Medical Treatment In Traveller.
Light wounds (don't reduce any characteristic to 0) require attention from a medic-1 within 1D*10 minutes or it could get worse. In this case, roll 2D for 7+ to see if an additional 1D wound points are added. On a 12 exactly, it's a catastrophic trauma, and the character dies. Repeat the 2D roll every hour until the character receives medical attention or dies.
The same rules as above apply to Moderate wounds (1 characteristic reduced to 0) and the character is in shock and unconcious for about 10 minutes.

SDon78: Severe wounds (2 characteristics reduced to 0) requires aid within 1D minutes to avoid death.
Treatment for full recovery:
Light wounds can be treated by a medic-2.
Moderate wounds require a medic-3 (doctor).

SDon78: Severe wounds require a medic-3 with Dex 8+ (surgeon), assisted by a medic-2 and an anesthetist. Roll 2D for 6+ for a normal recovery. A 2 means death on the table. A 3, 4, or 5 means an impaired recovery. There's a bunch of DMs, too many to list here, mainly for tech level of care.
Recovery time:
Moderate wounds, 2D days in hospital
Severe wounds, 1D*10 days in hospital

SDon78: After release from hospital, characteristics will be halfway between full value and wounded value.
In all 3 wound types, recovery is at 1 point per week for each of the 3 characteristics (Str, Dex, End).
So, according to the rules listed here, Rhuvein would have had his three physical stats halved (as per traveler rules) after regaining consciousness (10 minutes after the incapacitating wound). His wounds would have healed at 1 point per week for each of the three physical characteristics simultaneously. Makes more sense, and explains why the Medi-pod in the compound would be such a big whoop. It should have taken 13 hours in the Medi-pod to heal Alexei. But, I'm sure the team would have waited, had it been known that that was the case, so no real effect on the outcome of this session. But, good to know for future use. Thanks, SDon78!

See you in 2 weeks for what should be our last session of this module!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Good information . . . and excellent game session!

Well done, Gringnr and fellow players!

:D

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Game on this Sunday if everyone is good to go...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I'll be there!!

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

See you all in a few ...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Thanks to Gringnr, Penny, Aergraith and SDON78 for a great Traveller game!

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:Thanks to Gringnr, Penny, Aergraith and SDON78 for a great Traveller game!

Yes! Good game everyone. =)
We need more Russian elves in space ....

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Are you at all open to using the newest Mongoose Traveller for the next time we play? Though Penny-Whistle would probably prefer Stars Without Number.

Or is Classic the draw for you? Just thinking, with Mongoose you get a lot of careers in the first book, and in my opinion a more consistent system. Drawbacks are obviously that Classic modules might need some tweaking, and as Traveller has pointed out, if you are into ship design you may have to buy another book. So far I think all that is out for new Mongoose Traveller besides the main rules is High Guard.

One of these days I am going to try Traveller 5. It will probably take me 3 years to finish penciling in the errata in my hardcover.

The space game I am really waiting for is FrontierSpace from DwD Studios. The same people did such a great job with the Star Frontiers remasters, and use a Star Frontiers like system for all of their d00 games, and I think they've really refined it into something better. Originally, strangely, they weren't going to use that system for FrontierSpace. I love Star Frontiers, but I think I will never run it again: it needs too much house-ruling to bridge the gap between Alpha Dawn and Knight Hawks and Zebulon's Guide if you use it, and the PSA system is sort of clunky.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

You are correct, Aergraith! I would prefer to play Stars Without Number. From what I can see, the rules really are just like Traveller but streamlined and organized. I love that the game is a free download and that the community is active. Plus Kevin is such a nice guy.

That said, I would be open to trying Mongoose.

Of course if changing systems is a deal breaker for anyone then I am ok with continuing as is.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I'm good with any variation of a space RPG, including Star Frontiers (I would use my character from 10 years ago in a PBP game that only lasted a short time).

Hmm, I have some of the rule books - I'll have to pull them out to peruse again.

SDon78
Skobbit

Post by SDon78 »

Last month I finally acquired a hardcopy of Stars Without Number and am itching to try it out. That said, Mongoose Traveller is the most refined iteration of Traveller yet, in my opinion, although I haven't had the opportunity to test out the new second edition. Conversely, I'd also be willing to dip my hand into T5 if the referee were sincerely brave enough to put the effort into running a viable T5 campaign (kudos!).