Traveller The Invasion...

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Traveller The Invasion...

Post by Treebore »

For the one or two of your characters with a Genetics background, you are coming to realize the way the DNA of the returned is manipulated, not you, because yours wasn't manipulated since pre conception, the Returned would likely be called "Synthetic Humans". IE their DNA is pretty much completely "programmed" from their very beginnings. IE, when their eggs fertillize, the genetic combinations and outcomes are not random, they are completely pre determined.

You also find out the "genetic map" of every single Returned that ever existed is in their data banks. IE, with their technology, such people can be genetically recreated, and be completely identical. Except for memories/experiences. Not through a cloning process, but by literally programming the egg with exactly the same coding for the original returned, with identical genetic results/outcomes. Also, they can insert artificial gametes into their women to get the desired genetic outcomes. This is actually done, when natural conception occurs, by pre selecting the gametes in the males vas deferens. Done by the nano bots. In females the bots select the most beneficial egg cells to "ripen", and eliminate all others.

Yes, this means that while their females still carry their unborn, and give birth, etc... the genetics are almost entirely pre-determined from their birthing "data banks".

Historically, Rigons character will find out that in the very beginning the Returned were taught to use the technology to manipulate their own genetics by a being they simply call "The Last" and also "Great Teacher". The recreated drawing the Returned give reminds you of a Preying Mantis, just one that is nearly as tall as the Returned, when its down on all of its 6 legs. He was "The Last" of his kind, as well as the last who knew multiple scientific disciplines. He helped the Returned because he considered them what he called "Royals", because they were highly intelligent AND could breed.

He will also find out that the Returned have been primarily reproducing completely naturally, with the only exception being the gamete manipulation done by the nano bots, for the last 3 generations. The only ones who still reproduce using the birthing computers are the homo sexuals among them.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Nanomachines are NOT that far off.

http://gizmodo.com/the-worlds-tiniest-l ... 1774145625

I bet they will start with an induction method of power.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I was wrong about how long you can wear the suits. On average, you can wear them 7 days before their systems (recycling, etc...) become overloaded, and they need to be taken off. If everything goes well, you should be returning to Earth before that time frame expires, if it takes longer, the means to remove them are on board the Raven.

If you have to wear them beyond 7 days, things get nasty, toxic, and eventually, fatal.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Ok, so a few weeks ago or so, I was underwhelmed by my character's fit in the group. Now, I have a better understanding of how he is going to fit in and am liking it a whole lot better. Just need to continue to work on the pilot aspect and improve some in sneak/recon.

And write the definitive histories of the Returned.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I hope you all were noticing the map I had you guys on, with fog of war, except in the entry area, before I decided I couldn't tough it out with my flare up anymore....

Next time, you find out what the "darkness" contains. Not that it will be hard for the 4 of you to see, since your suits enable you to "see" in all kinds of spectrums.

Game time line, it is now July 30th.

The Returned have left with the 9,000 volunteers. Only 1 Raven and 1 Returned remain.

The good Doctor is 4 out of 6 steps towards figuring out the genetic issues that need to be understood to make the "Goo" equally effective for everyone.

Training was done, for months, to get you guys proficient in the Returned's energy weapons.

4 of you have successfully donned the Returned's combat Armor. Which is "powered", giving your STR score a x3 multiplier, the suit systems give you an effective +6 to your END score, as well as a +4 to your DEX score/attribute. Suits can be worn for approximately 7 days without any negative effects. Protection rating is 18. Suit gives you ability to see in every spectrum. Suits are also tied into ships computers, and each other. IF you do an "aim" action, add an additional +1 to your to hit. The systems make blockage of your comms a Formidable thing to attempt. (IE +6 to the Difficulty, 14 or better)

You are on the moon, in the hangar bay. The 4 of you in the battle suits are entering the Environmental control areas to see if the shielding there kept any of the aliens from being detected and wiped out by the Returned several months earlier. There are 4 shuttles and one Illandri battle Cruiser.

Roland has yet to "suit up".

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Ok, so a few weeks ago or so, I was underwhelmed by my character's fit in the group. Now, I have a better understanding of how he is going to fit in and am liking it a whole lot better. Just need to continue to work on the pilot aspect and improve some in sneak/recon.

R-
Yep, as you can now see, your revealing important info to the rest of your team, as well as the world, and with the training/retraining options you now have available to you, your able to make sure you have a strong contribution to give. Such as being the one person aside from Roland who can fly the Raven.

Dr. Lamar already has something VERY significant to figure out, and as he learns and understands more and more of the DNA/Genetics based technology he is going to learn of even greater things... :twisted:

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm wondering whether or not I could be doing more with my Rank 3 in Computers?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:I'm wondering whether or not I could be doing more with my Rank 3 in Computers?
In Earth systems, yes. You could literally be involved in further developing true Quantum Computers. With the DNA coding of the Returned's computing systems, you would have to learn it from Rank 0 upward. With 1 month increments for rolling.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:Ok, so a few weeks ago or so, I was underwhelmed by my character's fit in the group. Now, I have a better understanding of how he is going to fit in and am liking it a whole lot better. Just need to continue to work on the pilot aspect and improve some in sneak/recon.

R-
Yep, as you can now see, your revealing important info to the rest of your team, as well as the world, and with the training/retraining options you now have available to you, your able to make sure you have a strong contribution to give. Such as being the one person aside from Roland who can fly the Raven.

Dr. Lamar already has something VERY significant to figure out, and as he learns and understands more and more of the DNA/Genetics based technology he is going to learn of even greater things... :twisted:
I just needed to find my niche. Now I know, I'm the pilot.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:

The good Doctor is 4 out of 6 steps towards figuring out the genetic issues that need to be understood to make the "Goo" equally effective for everyone.

Training was done, for months, to get you guys proficient in the Returned's energy weapons.

Don't forget his faithful assistant, that is slaving in the lab when he would rather be playing with weapons, fiddling with the med equipment, learning sensors, and communications ;)

Rigon, don't forget my ideas on 'The Art of War' and trying to fracture the alien alliance. I don't know about game results, but in real life that would be critical. A success with those ideas would be a 'force multiplier' fewer aliens attacking earth, looking for more 'returned battle groups in separate areas of space, and more aliens distrusting each other and possible fighting each other. Confusion and mis direction was critical in multiple operations in WW2, throughout the Cold war, and even today. And, those same principals would be critical in the alien invasion scenario we are facing.

I know I'm brining in my outlook and experience, but looking at the 'returned' as presented, they have relied on superior equipment and technology. Because of that they don't plan to fight smart. My character doesn't have the skills needed - SOF Medic/operator, not SOF/CIA counter intel/psy ops. But between the historian (now pilot) and the CIA guys, we do have the skills to fill that gap.

I'd argue (representing the government special forces) that after the moon mission, and now that everyone had at least basic skills in energy weapon, that while the doc and my medic keep working the genetic issue, you all focus on those items for at least 1 - 2 training iterations .

Plus like maximus pointed out, we all need to get fam training with the returned equivalent of all those critical 2nd area items like his computer, my sensors & communications, etc
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Tree, I was looking in the Traveller main book to see what skills I should focus on next for my character and I noticed that maybe my Flyer (Raven) should be Pilot (Raven). Flyer seems to things like planes and helicopters, while Pilot seems to be for space-capable vessels.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Tree, I was looking in the Traveller main book to see what skills I should focus on next for my character and I noticed that maybe my Flyer (Raven) should be Pilot (Raven). Flyer seems to things like planes and helicopters, while Pilot seems to be for space-capable vessels.

R-
Yes. Your technically Pilot: Spacecraft 2, you can pilot spacecraft of up to 5,000 tons now.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:Tree, I was looking in the Traveller main book to see what skills I should focus on next for my character and I noticed that maybe my Flyer (Raven) should be Pilot (Raven). Flyer seems to things like planes and helicopters, while Pilot seems to be for space-capable vessels.

R-
Yes. Your technically Pilot: Spacecraft 2, you can pilot spacecraft of up to 5,000 tons now.
Ok, now I can better plan what I want to do.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

treebore wrote:Dr. Lamar already has something VERY significant to figure out, and as he learns and understands more and more of the DNA/Genetics based technology he is going to learn of even greater things... :twisted:
Dr Lamar is going to turn me into a centaur?

Lurker wrote: Rigon, don't forget my ideas on 'The Art of War' and trying to fracture the alien alliance. I don't know about game results, but in real life that would be critical. A success with those ideas would be a 'force multiplier' fewer aliens attacking earth, looking for more 'returned battle groups in separate areas of space, and more aliens distrusting each other and possible fighting each other. Confusion and mis direction was critical in multiple operations in WW2, throughout the Cold war, and even today
Did someone call for a little sabotage?

Mission accepted

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Aramis wrote:
Lurker wrote: Rigon, don't forget my ideas on 'The Art of War' and trying to fracture the alien alliance. I don't know about game results, but in real life that would be critical. A success with those ideas would be a 'force multiplier' fewer aliens attacking earth, looking for more 'returned battle groups in separate areas of space, and more aliens distrusting each other and possible fighting each other. Confusion and mis direction was critical in multiple operations in WW2, throughout the Cold war, and even today
Did someone call for a little sabotage?

Mission accepted
Now that is the spirit !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

We on for tonight?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:We on for tonight?

R-
Yes, our first big combat scenario! I look forward to seeing just how big and bad those combat suits are!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I may be a little late. Simon will stay with the Raven until I beck on.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

OK, you guys are now 16 hours into eradicating the aliens on the moon station/base. You have wiped one wave of Stage 2 and 2 waves of stage 3! When will this ever end?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Before heading out for a third time, Kieren says, "While your defensive, let them come to you, strategy is an effective one, you may want to consider this. If you push forward, and get into their nest area, one shot will likely kill all of them. So the question is, how much would you have to get through to get to the nest, versus sitting and waiting for them to come to you how and when they want to?"

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Treebore wrote:Before heading out for a third time, Kieren says, "While your defensive, let them come to you, strategy is an effective one, you may want to consider this. If you push forward, and get into their nest area, one shot will likely kill all of them. So the question is, how much would you have to get through to get to the nest, versus sitting and waiting for them to come to you how and when they want to?"
Do we have any intelligence on the base we might be able to use to find the nest quickly?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

maximus wrote:
Treebore wrote:Before heading out for a third time, Kieren says, "While your defensive, let them come to you, strategy is an effective one, you may want to consider this. If you push forward, and get into their nest area, one shot will likely kill all of them. So the question is, how much would you have to get through to get to the nest, versus sitting and waiting for them to come to you how and when they want to?"
Do we have any intelligence on the base we might be able to use to find the nest quickly?
Maybe we can find a psychic to mind meld with their brain bug...

My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:
No. You know the general dimensions of the base and some areas you know in detail, however the closer you get to the stations power plant details are lost, unobtainable, including in the Environmental areas since that system is fairly heavily integrated with the power supply system.

Remember, the whole reason you had to come here and make sure these survivors were not here, is because the Returned, with the sensors of the Planet Buster, could not tell if they had gotten everyone, and it took you a few months to come back after the Returned did their initial attack.

Plus, do not forget, there were missiles launched at Earth the last time.

:twisted:

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Aergraith wrote:
maximus wrote:
Maybe we can find a psychic to mind meld with their brain bug...

God, I LOVE that book, but HATE that movie !!!

As for the tactic ... I see the merit, but it is a huge risk. We have only 3 'full' combat guys . The stage 3 aliens can outrun us in our suits, we can't stealth past them, and in a fight, I missed EVERY shot in the 2nd go around. That bodes ill for a hail merry hi de ho up the middle we go attack.

It sounds counter intuitive, but ' kicking the hornets nest' is a valid strategy the guys I was with used. When the enemy is spread out but likely will overwhelm you if you wander around trying to find and fix them it is best to set up where you control the fight can use your superior fire power and force them to come to where you are. It forces them to concentrate where you can kill them instead of them being able to use their dispersement against you.

Now I'm not saying we should be fixed in one place - I would argue we DO NOT want to fight in the hall command room we were in again. The Bugs will collapse the floor out from under us, dig a hole into our flank or something like that.

Also we need a recon to find the safe areas to fight in, where they are massed, if there is a way to flank them etc.

But, planning a "we just run as fast as we can and hope to make it" would be bad ...

Now, as Kieren isn't being a silent partner ... How do the bugs sense us and find us? Is it vibrations in the floor, is it sound, is it smell, ...?
If we know that, we can mess with them. If it is vibrations in the floor as we walk then jerry rig some 'thumpers' or jack hammers to vibrate the whole compound. If sound, take a play out of Army psy ops, pipe achey breakey heart out at full blast and mask our movement. If it is smell, we have a ship of guys ready to take over after we clear it. that is 16 hours of waste, dirty socks and other powerful human nasty smells we could put into the vents and drop down their tunnels.

Also, our explosives & sabotage guy needs to make some booby traps and trip wires with those plasma grenades. It may not kill the beasts but it will hurt them and make them think a bit more. Hmmmm maybe the biologist can work something to make a minor weapon deadly to them. If their blood is toxic to us, something could be toxic to them. If so, then we don't need a plasma grenade to kill them, but just a bit of c-4 (or the returned version there of) or a few grenades and then the toxin could jack them up and really slow them down - without killing them even. Maybe even use the med bed to generate some extra 'flesh' and then poison it. A little alien rat bait kind of thing.

Oh yeah, what do they do with their dead? They are quick to try and eat 'protean' so do the turn on one of their own that is dead/dying if we haven't vaporized it with the big chain lightning gun? If so we could use that to our advantage. Again the rat bait

Again, things like that where the Returned are used to superior technology and didn't need SOF /Guerilla tactics is what we need to figure out ASAP

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yes, they eat their dead. Kieren tells you that they "see" in many ways. Sound, a broad range of the visual spectrum, as well as vibrations. The only thing they are "blind" to is pheromones/smell.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Excellent points by lurker

One thing to remember with a moving around strategy is the other type of bugs came through the walls/ceilings which could be a real surprise to would be ambushers.

with the way these guys find us pretty easily, and the way skill checks like hiding or recon work (roughly a 50/50 chance) it would be pretty suicidal to go out alone for a little recce, suit or no suit.

maybe there is some way to scout remotely? drones and the like

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

We going bug hunting this memorial day?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm in.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:I'm in.

R-

+1 here

C&C Society

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I'm not sure if I'll be back in time for the game.