1E AD&D Castles and Crusades game...

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: 1E AD&D Castles and Crusades game...

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Remember, we are playing with the third edition assumptions. So Paladins are not the shining beacon of, "Here I am Darklord! Come kill me!" that they were before 3E. Now its more like, "Darklord, "I can sense a holy presence somewhere nearby, I must hunt it down and tear out its heart and consume its soul!"

Tomato, potato .... like I said, it is ugly ! ;)

Heck, it was ugly even in the 2 E version .... I can't remember playing 1 E Ravenloft, but I'd assume it would be just as bad ... the theme looks to me to be 'don't play a paladin in Ravenloft .... ever' !!!!!! :lol:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:Remember, we are playing with the third edition assumptions. So Paladins are not the shining beacon of, "Here I am Darklord! Come kill me!" that they were before 3E. Now its more like, "Darklord, "I can sense a holy presence somewhere nearby, I must hunt it down and tear out its heart and consume its soul!"

Heck, it was ugly even in the 2 E version .... I can't remember playing 1 E Ravenloft, but I'd assume it would be just as bad ... the theme looks to me to be 'don't play a paladin in Ravenloft .... ever' !!!!!! :lol:
Well, the big difference now is they actually have to find you. Before, they knew exactly where you were. VERY major difference.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
Lurker wrote:

Well, the big difference now is they actually have to find you. Before, they knew exactly where you were. VERY major difference.
yeah a difference for the 2 - 3 days it takes them to find you ... then ... ugly !!!!! :lol:

On a serious note;

First, I just PMed you my character concept / history . let me know what you think, and I'll make any needed changes and finish the character.

2nd. What weapons can a thief cleric of Denier (mid level god from Forgotten Realms of knowledge inventions etc etc etc) use?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I posted my character on the first page of this thread. Half-elf cleric of Trithereon.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My wife has been helping me brainstorm for this campaign during the 14 hours she forced me to drive yesterday. A lot of cool ideas.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:My wife has been helping me brainstorm for this campaign during the 14 hours she forced me to drive yesterday. A lot of cool ideas.
Cool as in, "I'm gonna creep the hell out of those guys and make them jumpy Nate-style" or as in "I can kill you all with a few swaps of my hand?"

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:My wife has been helping me brainstorm for this campaign during the 14 hours she forced me to drive yesterday. A lot of cool ideas.
Cool as in, "I'm gonna creep the hell out of those guys and make them jumpy Nate-style" or as in "I can kill you all with a few swaps of my hand?"

R-
More of one than the other.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-
In that case, can't wait.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-

R-

I would like to point out that he didn't say which one was the more ..... and again as he has been asking about Cathulu monster conversions, I think it may be more of the second one than I'd like to think about !!!! :)

Tree, did you get my character concept I imed you .... last week, maybe 2 weeks ago .... it all blurs together.

If you did, was it good to go, or do you want me to change anything.

Oh yeah, are we all starting out as a group having known at least a few of the other players before the game starts, or, are we dumped into the mist and bump into each other in the first game ?
Rigon wrote:I posted my character on the first page of this thread. Half-elf cleric of Trithereon.

R-
Cool, I'll be a thief cleric, so that is 2 undead turners and healers in the group plus I'll cover the sneaky peaky stuff.

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I was going to go fighter/cleric, kind of a crusader type, but I figure I can pull off the same concept without the additional xp cost, especially with the god I chose. I just don't care for heavily armed characters, so that may become problematic at some point. But we'll have to play it out to see. Though, I did find a deity from Grayhawk that I really like and will probably use again if I ever play a character from there again.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-

R-

I would like to point out that he didn't say which one was the more ..... and again as he has been asking about Cathulu monster conversions, I think it may be more of the second one than I'd like to think about !!!! :)

Tree, did you get my character concept I imed you .... last week, maybe 2 weeks ago .... it all blurs together.

If you did, was it good to go, or do you want me to change anything.

Oh yeah, are we all starting out as a group having known at least a few of the other players before the game starts, or, are we dumped into the mist and bump into each other in the first game ?
Rigon wrote:I posted my character on the first page of this thread. Half-elf cleric of Trithereon.

R-
Cool, I'll be a thief cleric, so that is 2 undead turners and healers in the group plus I'll cover the sneaky peaky stuff.
Well, I did read it pretty quickly, and thought it was fine, but maybe I should reread it and see if there is a reason you appear to be so nervous about my approval of it...

:lol:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Hve I ever been the kind of CK to just kill your characters with the swat of a hand? No, its much more pleasurable to kill your PC's slowly.

That does remind me, in case I haven't stated this before, I will be using insanity rules. Don't worry, you won't be driven further insane every time you see blood or see a rat get beheaded. But you will see things every so often that can and will drive you closer and closer to insanity. So it will require tracking and require judicious action at the proper times to counter act.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:Hve I ever been the kind of CK to just kill your characters with the swat of a hand? No, its much more pleasurable to kill your PC's slowly.

That does remind me, in case I haven't stated this before, I will be using insanity rules. Don't worry, you won't be driven further insane every time you see blood or see a rat get beheaded. But you will see things every so often that can and will drive you closer and closer to insanity. So it will require tracking and require judicious action at the proper times to counter act.
That sounds awesome... :roll:

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:Hve I ever been the kind of CK to just kill your characters with the swat of a hand? No, its much more pleasurable to kill your PC's slowly.

That sounds awesome... :roll:

R-

Rgr that

I've always liked the idea of a game that implemented insanity. However, the only time I played in one that did, the DM didn't handle it to well. He was one that everything (yes the beheading of a rat was one that he used) added into it ... That got a bit old, fast. I eventually made the point that if that was the case, I'd be insane from all the rabbits squeirls deer I hunted and then all the farm animals I help butcher ... he said, well some of that is a sign of being a potiental mass murder, so maybe I was further down the insanity path than I would like to admidt ....
Treebore wrote:

Well, I did read it pretty quickly, and thought it was fine, but maybe I should reread it and see if there is a reason you appear to be so nervous about my approval of it...

:lol:
Oh nothing hidden in it to make me uber powerful. It just makes assumptions of your game world that you may not be willing to allow. Similarly, it makes assumptions on the character - an angel visiting the youth to get him on the right path, and the hints of things to come (partial letters form Van Ricten & unease when seeing gypsies)

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Time to get characters created and posted up here! (Back ups recommended)

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
The following are the ONLY non evil deific powers that can grant spells and answer prayers within the Domains of Ravenloft:

Hay, I just thought of something .... at least 2 of us are clerics from outside the realms of mist, so our gods are from outside the dread realm. How are they getting spells after emerging from the mist ?
Treebore wrote:Time to get characters created and posted up here! (Back ups recommended)
One more question, will we know each other before going into the mist, will we meet in / or right after the mist, or through the first game ?

That said, I'll finish the thief/cleric tonight or by the weekend and hang him back on page 1. I'll keep the ranger that is there now in my back pocket for when the thief cleric falls battling the evil of the cursed realm .....

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Good question about Clerics. Guess you'll have to find out the hard way. :twisted:

Yes, you guys will know each other. In fact, your first mission will be to go scare off some bandits along a nearby trade route. Or kill them. Or capture them. Just make them stop with their banditry.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
Yes, you guys will know each other. In fact, your first mission will be to go scare off some bandits along a nearby trade route. Or kill them. Or capture them. Just make them stop with their banditry.
Rgr, I added a paragraph or 2 that bridges the back story to the party.

De Canard is posted on page 1 . Let the dice be tossed high and the evil of the dread realm tremble in fear!

C&C Society

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Treebore wrote:Time to get characters created and posted up here! (Back ups recommended)
I'll get to work on mine, I'll generate two characters.