View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:36 pm



Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Adventures in Aihrde - SKYPE voice chat 
Author Message
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Oh, I'm very OK with keeping our characters! For sure, I may have mis-understood the intention in going forward.

And I must say WOW to Aramis. Usually I agree with everything that you say, but I really didn't care for B4. It might that I don't care for Moldvay. I liked Isle of Dread, but that's prolly because David Cook may have had mucho influence on the writing.

But any module, even a mediocre one can be crafted into something fantastic by a good CK, yes?

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:14 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 3620
Location: Nine Hells
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
My issue is not to redo what I've done. I wouldn't really be interested in Barrier Peaks for that reason. While I love those modules, I know them quite well, and, I feel like they've already happened if that makes any sense.

_________________
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:14 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
slimykuotoan wrote:
Whoa, Isle o' the Ape is like 12th + level.


18+

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:15 am
Profile
Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 1741
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Aramis wrote:
[...] on the Wild Coast, where we have always been. Yes we have!


A haven of malcontents... :)


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:16 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
slimykuotoan wrote:
My issue is not to redo what I've done. I wouldn't really be interested in Barrier Peaks for that reason. While I love those modules, I know them quite well, and, I feel like they've already happened if that makes any sense.


Incidentally, your character from my Castle Zagyg, Upper Works game is still walking around the 3rd floor of the castle. No one is sure of his whereabouts at this time! :?

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 3620
Location: Nine Hells
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Whoa, 18th?!!

What about the 1st edition DCCs?

http://www.goodman-games.com/dcc-modules1e.html

_________________
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:18 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 3620
Location: Nine Hells
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
I wouldn't mind footing the bill for the PDF; it's like a movie rental only SOOO much better! ;)

_________________
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:18 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 3620
Location: Nine Hells
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Or here:

http://www.xrpshop.citymax.com/page/page/3906568.htm

_________________
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:24 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 3620
Location: Nine Hells
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Or here:

https://www.trolllord.com/tlgstore/#!/M ... ort=normal

_________________
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:26 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 3620
Location: Nine Hells
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Rhuvein wrote:
Incidentally, your character from my Castle Zagyg, Upper Works game is still walking around the 3rd floor of the castle. No one is sure of his whereabouts at this time! :?


Lol

_________________
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?


NO!

Random, boring "adventures" written by random internet people!

Any one of us can do better!

:?

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:34 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?


Yes!

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:34 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
slimykuotoan wrote:
Whoa, 18th?!!

What about the 1st edition DCCs?

http://www.goodman-games.com/dcc-modules1e.html


I have a couple of these by Harley and I think they are very good for the most part. The ones I have are high level.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:35 am
Profile
Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 1741
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Rhuvein wrote:


NO!

Random, boring "adventures" written by random internet people!

Any one of us can do better!

:?


Rhu, it's funny that you mention that, because I used two of those modules in this game so far... and I was not very happy with them.


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:38 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 3620
Location: Nine Hells
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
It's funny Kayolan, I've found this campaign so far to be gripping, filled with flavour, and dear to my heart.

_________________
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:41 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
:lol:

Really funny for sure. Different strokes for different folks and so on . . Everyday People ~ Sly and the Family Stone!

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:43 am
Profile
Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 1741
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
slimykuotoan wrote:
It's funny Kayolan, I've found this campaign so far to be gripping, filled with flavour, and dear to my heart.


Did I mention that over half of the stuff you guys went through was not in the modules? :)


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:43 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Kayolan wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:


NO!

Random, boring "adventures" written by random internet people!

Any one of us can do better!

:?


Rhu, it's funny that you mention that, because I used two of those modules in this game so far... and I was not very happy with them.


Some of them, IMO are trying too hard to be "old school" and missing the mark. And it's hard to be original, but for the most part - these "authors" are pure amateurs!

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:45 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Kayolan wrote:
slimykuotoan wrote:
It's funny Kayolan, I've found this campaign so far to be gripping, filled with flavour, and dear to my heart.


Did I mention that over half of the stuff you guys went through was not in the modules? :)


Love it. That's the way to make a mediocre module work for the CK and players. Well played!

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:46 am
Profile
Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 1741
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Rhuvein wrote:

Some of them, IMO are trying too hard to be "old school" and missing the mark. And it's hard to be original, but for the most part - these "authors" are pure amateurs!


Totally true, I'm not really impressed with their offerings so far.

Though I bet there are a few gems in there, problem is having to sift through all the crap to find out what's good and what isn't.

I think I'm almost convincing myself to create my own material entirely.


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:49 am
Profile
Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 1693
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Rhuvein wrote:
Oh, I'm very OK with keeping our characters! For sure, I may have mis-understood the intention in going forward.

And I must say WOW to Aramis. Usually I agree with everything that you say, but I really didn't care for B4. It might that I don't care for Moldvay. I liked Isle of Dread, but that's prolly because David Cook may have had mucho influence on the writing.

But any module, even a mediocre one can be crafted into something fantastic by a good CK, yes?


Actually, I have never read or played B4 (or B10 either) just mentioning names that come up in many people's "best modules" lists, which led me to pick both up


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:50 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Aramis wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Oh, I'm very OK with keeping our characters! For sure, I may have mis-understood the intention in going forward.

And I must say WOW to Aramis. Usually I agree with everything that you say, but I really didn't care for B4. It might that I don't care for Moldvay. I liked Isle of Dread, but that's prolly because David Cook may have had mucho influence on the writing.

But any module, even a mediocre one can be crafted into something fantastic by a good CK, yes?


Actually, I have never read or played B4 (or B10 either) just mentioning names that come up in many people's "best modules" lists, which led me to pick both up


I'm going to re-read it and if you read it, let's compare notes.

I do like B5 to a degree. Loads of material there.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:52 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Kayolan wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

Some of them, IMO are trying too hard to be "old school" and missing the mark. And it's hard to be original, but for the most part - these "authors" are pure amateurs!


Totally true, I'm not really impressed with their offerings so far.

Though I bet there are a few gems in there, problem is having to sift through all the crap to find out what's good and what isn't.

I think I'm almost convincing myself to create my own material entirely.


Yes, do it. Or even just modifying or redoing the classics.

Lately, I'm really on about downscaling some of the great TSR classics - like Isle of Ape. Heck, I'm sure I'll never be an 18th level adventurer or run a game at that level, but why waste a great module. I know it can be utilized at a lower level.

Hmm, I recall some reference to Isle of Dread with regard to Isle of Ape.

I think it would work to have adventures go to the Isle, but won't encounter the big guy or other tough situations.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:57 am
Profile
Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 1741
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Now I am officially not 100% btb anymore :shock:


Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:39 am
Profile
Greater Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 3620
Location: Nine Hells
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Wow, I thought u were finding btb a breath o' fresh air.

_________________
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan


Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:43 am
Profile
Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 1741
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
slimykuotoan wrote:
Wow, I thought u were finding btb a breath o' fresh air.


99.9 percent btb is good enough for me. Nothing else changes.


Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:45 am
Profile
Lore Drake
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 1741
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
What I'd really like to get a hold of is Gygax's rules for C&C regarding multiclassing and secondary skills.

Anyone have this?


Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:47 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Kayolan wrote:
What I'd really like to get a hold of is Gygax's rules for C&C regarding multiclassing and secondary skills.

Anyone have this?


In the Yggsburgh book?

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:54 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Kayolan wrote:
slimykuotoan wrote:
Wow, I thought u were finding btb a breath o' fresh air.


99.9 percent btb is good enough for me. Nothing else changes.


As you guys may have noted in other threads, I'm going from max this and max this to btb. But. straight btb is too brutal, at least for online play. I'm gathering some house rules for my version of btb in my gauging game play thread. 75% of max seems good and/or re-rolling ones!

:P

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:57 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10781
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Kayolan wrote:
I'm starting with L2 The Secret of Bone Hill.


It's actually L1.

L2 is The Assassin's Knot.

Anyway, char level 2-4. So, we may need to find some hirelings or run 2 characters!!

:D

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.