View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
Adventures in Aihrde - SKYPE voice chat 
Lore Drake

Post Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight?
Rhuvein wrote:
Heh, I didn't even know or realize you were using Aihrde. Greyhawk is fine. As a player, I'm less concerned about campaign world as I am concerned about the module being used.

I haven't been very thrilled with about this module, but Kayo - it's not because of you. You are a great CK and thus have probably done more for this module than the author did in creating it. You mentioned it briefly in game, and I have no idea who the author is . . but it's lacking in presentation and excitement.

Anyway, all that said - I'm fine with my character and continuing.

:)

Well, I liked the module. But you will be happy to hear that we are now in Greyhawk, so you can choose any module you want. Next stop Barrier Peaks? :lol:

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:46 am
Cleric of Zagyg

Aramis wrote:
Well, I liked the module. But you will be happy to hear that we are now in Greyhawk, so you can choose any module you want. Next stop Barrier Peaks? :lol:

Ooh, so you finished the module? Did the PCs live to tell the tale?

Yep, Barrier Peaks . . or

Isle of APE! :?

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:11 am
Lore Drake

Rhuvein wrote:
Aramis wrote:

Ooh, so you finished the module? Did the PCs live to tell the tale?

Yep, Barrier Peaks . . or

Isle of APE! :?

Love me some Greyhawk

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:19 am
Lore Drake

I want to start this in the Wild Coast, with maybe Keep on the Borderlands as a starter. ?! :)

I want your input on the idea of starting over with new characters or not, if we did, I think that an optional method from the Castle Keeper's Guide might be used for generating attributes, as well as the suggestion in said tome for PCs starting with maximum HP at first level. Would this be too far outside of btb for us to handle? :o

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:15 am
Greater Lore Drake

I'm not sure I would want to redo all the modules I've already done.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:41 am
Lore Drake

Kayolan wrote:
I want to start this in the Wild Coast, with maybe Keep on the Borderlands as a starter. ?! :)

Sounds like fun

Kayolan wrote:
I want your input on the idea of starting over with new characters or not, if we did, I think that an optional method from the Castle Keeper's Guide might be used for generating attributes, as well as the suggestion in said tome for PCs starting with maximum HP at first level. Would this be too far outside of btb for us to handle? :o

It's in a book, ain't it? :lol:

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:42 am
Lore Drake

slimykuotoan wrote:

I've never run Keep on the Borderlands before, are you saying you wouldn't have any fun if I ran it?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:44 am
Greater Lore Drake

Hmm, I thought we were changing the setting but sticking with our storyline.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:45 am
Lore Drake

Aramis wrote:
Kayolan wrote:

Sounds like fun

Kayolan wrote:

It's in a book, ain't it? :lol:

That's true, but I will still keep whatever is in the phb btb if that makes sense.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:45 am
Lore Drake

slimykuotoan wrote:
Hmm, I thought we were changing the setting but sticking with our storyline.

I don't see how it's possible to do that Slimy, and besides the adventure was finished last session. I figured it was a good time to have a fresh start.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:49 am
Lore Drake

Kayolan wrote:
slimykuotoan wrote:

I've never run Keep on the Borderlands before, are you saying you wouldn't have any fun if I ran it?

There are many modules to choose from. Which one's are on slimy's Forbidden List?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:50 am
Lore Drake

Aramis wrote:
Kayolan wrote:
slimykuotoan wrote:

There are many modules to choose from. Which one's are on slimy's Forbidden List?

I'm guessing Keep on the Borderlands is one of them. From what I understand, it's one of the most run modules out there, and after reading through it I can see why. It's a great starting location that can be dropped nearly anywhere and set up for further adventures. I would really like to use it someday.

I think that if we are going to look at this realistically, the chances that any of us haven't been or run through one of these modules is next to nil.

When I do run a module I don't always do so "as is", and I don't use the module in a vacuum.

There is also the possibility of me not using a module, though that would require much more time on my part and I'd like to at least have the option of using something published as an aid in that regard.

So yeah, list any modules that you absolutely refuse to be a part of.

Hopefully this isn't too big a list :)

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:14 am
Lore Drake

Kayolan wrote:
Aramis wrote:
Kayolan wrote:
slimykuotoan wrote:

I'm guessing Keep on the Borderlands is one of them. From what I understand, it's one of the most run modules out there, and after reading through it I can see why. It's a great starting location that can be dropped nearly anywhere and set up for further adventures. I would really like to use it someday.

I think that if we are going to look at this realistically, the chances that any of us haven't been or run through one of these modules is next to nil.

When I do run a module I don't always do so "as is", and I don't use the module in a vacuum.

There is also the possibility of me not using a module, though that would require much more time on my part and I'd like to at least have the option of using something published as an aid in that regard.

Absolutely. You are already working hard running both these games for us. I am fine with almost any of the old school modules.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:27 am
Lore Drake

Aramis wrote:

Absolutely. You are already working hard running both these games for us. I am fine with almost any of the old school modules.

Been having a blast running it.

Actually now that I think about it, I may have a way of running this module without it being one that Slimy is too familiar with. I have the module Return to the Keep on the Borderlands. This is basically the same location, only several years later. Perhaps I could run this instead...

I have a copy of this but have never read it, I'll look into it tonight... :)

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:23 am
Greater Lore Drake

I am pretty bummed because there was no mention of ending this game. You certainly need to run what you enjoy Kayolan, I just need to adjust to this new development.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:05 pm
Lore Drake

slimykuotoan wrote:
I am pretty bummed because there was no mention of ending this game. You certainly need to run what you enjoy Kayolan, I just need to adjust to this new development.

Who said anything about ending the game?!

We did agree on changing the setting to GH.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:11 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Sorry, I was thinking Keep was a first level module.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:21 pm
Lore Drake

slimykuotoan wrote:
Sorry, I was thinking Keep was a first level module.

Ah, but this is the return to the keep on the borderlands. Totally different ;)

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:05 pm
Lore Drake

It's 1st to 3rd level, for 6-9 characters. But if you guys think it will be too easy... I can go with something tougher. :twisted:

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:48 pm
Greater Lore Drake

I like the idea o' Return to, much better than the original, unless you wanted to put your own spin on the original, putting in some of your own encounters, etc.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:50 pm
Greater Lore Drake

What about this stuff Kayolan?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:51 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Then we could go to the next in the series, etc.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:53 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

slimykuotoan wrote:
Then we could go to the next in the series, etc.

Oooh, nice. But a lich?? OK! ;)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:03 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

I'm good with Keep or any GH module at low levels (or any of the higher ones, scaled down to low levels - been thinking about doing this lately. Haha, Isle of Ape as mentioned above)!

The thing is, for me anyway ~ B1, B2 or B3 can be run over and over and still be fresh (to a degree anyway), because each CK runs it differently and he/she can completely change anything. Caves of Chaos can use the Blacktooth Ridge dungeons or vice versa. Or, as I will do - design new caves/dungeons/monsters!

The one thing I would prefer, if you're asking Kayo - is that if it's OK with you and the other guys, can we start with 1st level characters?

Haha, you see Kayo - this game and all of our discussion on the boards has got me wanting to run/play an almost btb game at first level.

If I can get anyone interested (via my thread), this is what I'd like to do if I run a game.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:10 pm
Lore Drake

Rhuvein wrote:
I'm good with Keep or any GH module at low levels (or any of the higher ones, scaled down to low levels - been thinking about doing this lately. Haha, Isle of Ape as mentioned above)!

The thing is, for me anyway ~ B1, B2 or B3 can be run over and over and still be fresh (to a degree anyway), because each CK runs it differently and he/she can completely change anything. Caves of Chaos can use the Blacktooth Ridge dungeons or vice versa. Or, as I will do - design new caves/dungeons/monsters!

The one thing I would prefer, if you're asking Kayo - is that if it's OK with you and the other guys, can we start with 1st level characters?

Haha, you see Kayo - this game and all of our discussion on the boards has got me wanting to run/play an almost btb game at first level.

If I can get anyone interested (via my thread), this is what I'd like to do if I run a game.

Rhu I think we are pretty much on the same page here. The only change I'd make is to give max HP at first level. If that makes me even 0.01% not btb, then so be it. The version of Keep on the Borderlands I want to run is the 25th anniversary series "Return" version, which takes place 20 years after the original module. It's quite different but yet similar enough to evoke the same feel. Big fan of B3 orange cover, never ran B1 or B2, but am looking forward to it! My idea is to start you guys off as weaklings, then throw in the possibility of Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, with some OSR stuff I have along with my own material to blend it together and fill in the empty spaces. I want some gonzo in there too, maybe some Barrier Peaks or something even crazier, like a trip to Blackmoor. :) As far as 1st level goes, we can vote on it as usual, I don't want to be heavy-handed about it.

Slimy I don't have those modules, but from what I've gleaned, they are not for low level characters and I wouldn't want to run them unless you guys were higher level (after I read through them, I haven't the slightest clue what they are all about actually).

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:31 pm
Lore Drake

Kayolan wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

Rhu I think we are pretty much on the same page here. The only change I'd make is to give max HP at first level. If that makes me even 0.01% not btb, then so be it. The version of Keep on the Borderlands I want to run is the 25th anniversary series "Return" version, which takes place 20 years after the original module. It's quite different but yet similar enough to evoke the same feel. Big fan of B3 orange cover, never ran B1 or B2, but am looking forward to it! My idea is to start you guys off as weaklings, then throw in the possibility of Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, perhaps Barrier Peaks, with some OSR stuff I have along with my own material to blend it together and fill in the empty spaces. I want some gonzo in there too, maybe some Barrier Peaks or something even crazier, like a trip to Blackmoor. :) As far as 1st level goes, we can vote on it as usual, I don't want to be heavy-handed about it.

Slimy I don't have those modules, but from what I've gleaned, they are not for low level characters and I wouldn't want to run them unless you guys were higher level (after I read through them, I haven't the slightest clue what they are all about actually).

I would probably prefer to keep the same characters. We've got a good dynamic going. We haven't interacted much with the world anyway, so let's just hand wave it and have the same characters, but on the Wild Coast, where we have always been. Yes we have!

One low level module that is highly rated and has a very sword and Sorcery feel is B4 the Lost City by Tom Moldvay. But I believe it culminates in a large dungeon so may not be a nice break for Kayolan :lol:

If we are keeping the same characters and levels etc., there is a very highly rated module that was intended to bridge the divide between basic and expert called B10 - Night's Dark Terror. Not sure how Greyhawk it is (it was written by the excellent TSR UK module writers) but it is highly rated.

Those modules Slimy mentioned were not as well received (I bought them anyway for completeness sake 8-) . Never read them though)

As long as we end up with laser rifles and acid grenades from somewhere, it is all good :lol: .

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:00 am
Greater Lore Drake

Man I would so be interested in Isle of the Ape.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:06 am
Lore Drake

slimykuotoan wrote:
Man I would so be interested in Isle of the Ape.

love it! Let's go now, at 4th level but with laser rifles

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:07 am
Greater Lore Drake

Aramis wrote:
I would probably prefer to keep the same characters. We've got a good dynamic going.

Yeah, I'm really quite hesitant to lose Athelrand.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:07 am
Greater Lore Drake

Whoa, Isle o' the Ape is like 12th + level.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next