Switch to full style
Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Post a reply

Realm Works, are you using it?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:09 pm

I was sort of looking forward to Realm Works for a while and even shelved one of my campaigns until it was available, as I had a lot of information I wanted to organize and share parts of. Now, it's sort of released, and there are a few things that bother me.

- PC/Windows only
- Unclear what the dynamic is with players and DMs and content. Sounds like the players need to have the software to see the game when you aren't playing it (I guess that means the DM has to be hosting the data by running the app during the game?)
- There is a subscription web service but it's not quite done yet, I think.

It has the ability to import characters from Hero Lab, but until BoomerET's recent work there wasn't anything for C&C, not sure about Swords and Wizardry, Delving Deeper, AD&D, Adventures Dark and Deep, or BECMI, the other games I play. I'm not sure if Boomer's stuff works with it?

I am thinking I'll just throw a wiki up on my hosted box; maybe not as RPG specific but sounds cheaper (if you have hosting already) and easier (if you know how to install a wiki).

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:40 am

I'm a beta tester for Realm Works, but to tell you the truth, have used it very little.

I have been slowly putting Castles & Crusades stuff in, from Haunted Highlands.

So, as a test, I created a character in Realm Works. Then, I imported one of the portfolio's I created with the C&C Hero Lab plugin.

Saved my work.

In Realm Works, when you import a portfolio, there's 3 options to view.
1. View
2. View in new tab
3. View externally.

Here's my results:
1 and 2 are identical, just that #2 opens in a new tab.
Results: (of View/View in new tab)
Amazing, ok, so I've got some work to do to flesh this output, but I was impressed considering I haven't worked on that part.
It shows stats, name, but no abilities or skills yet. That's easily fixed, maybe that will be my next project.

3. results
As expected, opens Hero Lab directly to C&C portfolio.

Not to bad if you ask me.

Thanks for asking this question Aergraith.

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:37 pm

I've been in on the Beta as well. And my only complaint so far is how much time it is taking me to enter the A-series of adventures into it. I love how it automatically finds links between names of people, monsters, places, buildings, gods, even mechanics (so you can enter, say, how a spell works then have it link everytime you write a NPC's spell list). It does all the linking work for you, so you don't have to spend anytime doing that part yourself. It is a very powerful database tool, in my opinion. Your PCs go into town, click there is a map, with pins entered for each location. Blacksmith you say, click up comes the blacksmith info, oh and look the black smith is a member of the secret society, click up comes info on the society and all its members, oh look the mayor is a member, click there are the mayors info. Quick and easy to find the info once it is entered. AND, another great feature is that each snippet of info has a checkbox, click it and it turns green. Everything green will show up in the player's view! Never have to struggle to remember what you did or didn't tell the players. Never have to go back and read stuff to 'em, they can access it all on their own screen. Fantastic for my as my group only meets on Roll20 once a month or so.

Soon there will be a player's version for sale, and they will link to the GM with their cloud service. No announcement yet about the pricing. The hero lab connection I beleive is a bit basic but they intend to increase the connections between the two as they continue development.

Perhaps the best future feature will be the ability to download other's content, and published settings/adventures as well (some will come to kickstarter supporters as part of the achieved goals). Then you wont' have to enter anything yourself, but will have it all done for you.

Some of the extra content I'll get as a kickstarter supporter and which will be up for sale at some point, are the Blood Drive trilogy (Savage Worlds: Deadlands), The Blight (Pathfinder, frog god games), Halls of the Mountain King (Pathfinder by Open design), Pirates guide to Freeport (green ronin) and Razor Coast (pathfinder, by frog god games)

Having all that content, already organized and ready to play will be sweet. Especially the Pirates guide to Freeport. I'll just add the C&C stats and I'm ready to run it!

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:56 am

Ahh, then I assume you've already read the C&C Freeport Companion. I backed Freeport, hope it's coming soon!


BoomerET

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Yes, have it read it. Have the hardcover book, Pirate's Guide to Freeport, that is system free, as well as the Cults of Freeport and the Buccaneers of Freeport. Haven't had a chance to run a game therein, but the guide was one of the best RPG books just for the fun of reading I've run into.

BoomerET wrote:Ahh, then I assume you've already read the C&C Freeport Companion. I backed Freeport, hope it's coming soon!


BoomerET

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:43 pm

I use RW alot. It is a great tool for organizing all your campaign stuff in... How to run encounters etc.... I am anxiously awaiting for the WEB View, so players wont have to purchase RW, just login using a browser. But that is still some time away. :(

You can reveal things that the players already know, and it helps you organize your thoughts on how to run any gaming sessions.

It is only available on the PC platform... Kinda wish they made everything in JAVA so it can run on any platform.... oh well.

I think it's the best campaign management tool out there, but that's just me.

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:44 pm

I agree Realm Works is the best campaign management tool, hands down. They just released some free content. The content for us kickstarter pledgees comes next, then I think they start working on the Web view for players, though my memory is occasionally faulty. I can't wait to see how they did The Pirate's Guide to Freeport.



MadCartographer wrote:I use RW alot. It is a great tool for organizing all your campaign stuff in... How to run encounters etc.... I am anxiously awaiting for the WEB View, so players wont have to purchase RW, just login using a browser. But that is still some time away. :(

You can reveal things that the players already know, and it helps you organize your thoughts on how to run any gaming sessions.

It is only available on the PC platform... Kinda wish they made everything in JAVA so it can run on any platform.... oh well.

I think it's the best campaign management tool out there, but that's just me.

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:26 am

I use it, but mostly for the map viewing feature, as I have a tv in my gaming table. I find the entering of all that data extremely tedious, and the program itself somewhat difficult to operate, not being a programmer of any stripe.

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 pm

dachda wrote:I agree Realm Works is the best campaign management tool, hands down. They just released some free content. The content for us kickstarter pledgees comes next, then I think they start working on the Web view for players, though my memory is occasionally faulty. I can't wait to see how they did The Pirate's Guide to Freeport.



MadCartographer wrote:I use RW alot. It is a great tool for organizing all your campaign stuff in... How to run encounters etc.... I am anxiously awaiting for the WEB View, so players wont have to purchase RW, just login using a browser. But that is still some time away. :(

You can reveal things that the players already know, and it helps you organize your thoughts on how to run any gaming sessions.

It is only available on the PC platform... Kinda wish they made everything in JAVA so it can run on any platform.... oh well.

I think it's the best campaign management tool out there, but that's just me.



I will be entering Pirate's Guide to Freeport myself... I just grabbed it and am reading it now.... great product!

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:49 pm

anvil242 wrote:I use it, but mostly for the map viewing feature, as I have a tv in my gaming table. I find the entering of all that data extremely tedious, and the program itself somewhat difficult to operate, not being a programmer of any stripe.


Entering stuff is easy but it does take time. Once you get used to it... it's easy. I have already entered several modules / rule books plus my own word info.... takes time is all. I have also entered 4 Monster Manuals with fluff and pics from the net.

Lee

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:35 am

Can you share that stuff, or is that type of thing forbidden?

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 pm

You can share what is not covered by a copyright. So if a user of RW makes his own module or campaign world, his work can be shared. But if I enter a bunch of copy righted material from a Player's Handbook or from The Codex of Aihrde I could not share it without permission of the Trolls.

A Content market is being setup so once the content for the kickstarter folks is released you'd be able to purchase content as you want.

I believe the same set of rules that govern how content is shared/purchased in a VTT like Fantasy Grounds apply with Realm Works.

anvil242 wrote:Can you share that stuff, or is that type of thing forbidden?

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:06 pm

I'm guessing there are no plans to put C&C into Realmworks. I guess I'll keep on keepin' on. It is pretty handy for maps and stuff.

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:21 am

anvil242 wrote:I'm guessing there are no plans to put C&C into Realmworks. I guess I'll keep on keepin' on. It is pretty handy for maps and stuff.


I am entering my own world of Lerchanth, AND... entering some C&C stuff I want to use.

PLUS

I am entering other things I want to use from other realms or "non realm" specific stuff. AKA what I want to use I enter.

I have 4 C&C monster manuals, several "modules" and most of the Players hand book in it.

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:05 am

Wow you've entered a lot. Did you use the basic categories structure to enter the spells and monsters or the 5e game structure or something else?



MadCartographer wrote:
anvil242 wrote:I'm guessing there are no plans to put C&C into Realmworks. I guess I'll keep on keepin' on. It is pretty handy for maps and stuff.


I am entering my own world of Lerchanth, AND... entering some C&C stuff I want to use.

PLUS

I am entering other things I want to use from other realms or "non realm" specific stuff. AKA what I want to use I enter.

I have 4 C&C monster manuals, several "modules" and most of the Players hand book in it.

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:57 am

dachda wrote:Wow you've entered a lot. Did you use the basic categories structure to enter the spells and monsters or the 5e game structure or something else?



MadCartographer wrote:
anvil242 wrote:I'm guessing there are no plans to put C&C into Realmworks. I guess I'll keep on keepin' on. It is pretty handy for maps and stuff.


I am entering my own world of Lerchanth, AND... entering some C&C stuff I want to use.

PLUS

I am entering other things I want to use from other realms or "non realm" specific stuff. AKA what I want to use I enter.

I have 4 C&C monster manuals, several "modules" and most of the Players hand book in it.



For monsters: By Type

Spells: Alphabetically

And I am not entering 5e, I am entering Castles & Crusades manuals.

For the Players Handbook: I am using the same structure as the manual.

Here is a pic of the Pins I have for Freeport.
Attachments
Lee Freeport.png
Lee Freeport.png (162.32 KiB) Viewed 11940 times

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:11 pm

MadCartographer, are you one of the lucky ones having use of the kickstarter content while still in Beta? The Freeport stuff isn't out yet is it?




MadCartographer wrote:
dachda wrote:Wow you've entered a lot. Did you use the basic categories structure to enter the spells and monsters or the 5e game structure or something else?



MadCartographer wrote:
anvil242 wrote:I'm guessing there are no plans to put C&C into Realmworks. I guess I'll keep on keepin' on. It is pretty handy for maps and stuff.


I am entering my own world of Lerchanth, AND... entering some C&C stuff I want to use.

PLUS

I am entering other things I want to use from other realms or "non realm" specific stuff. AKA what I want to use I enter.

I have 4 C&C monster manuals, several "modules" and most of the Players hand book in it.



For monsters: By Type

Spells: Alphabetically

And I am not entering 5e, I am entering Castles & Crusades manuals.

For the Players Handbook: I am using the same structure as the manual.

Here is a pic of the Pins I have for Freeport.

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:53 am

No, I am manually entering that module myself right now. :)

It just takes time to enter stuff, why pay for it?

I purchased the PDF, and now I am just using Cut & Paste to put the module in RW.... Easy....

lee

dachda wrote:MadCartographer, are you one of the lucky ones having use of the kickstarter content while still in Beta? The Freeport stuff isn't out yet is it?




MadCartographer wrote:
dachda wrote:Wow you've entered a lot. Did you use the basic categories structure to enter the spells and monsters or the 5e game structure or something else?



MadCartographer wrote:
anvil242 wrote:I'm guessing there are no plans to put C&C into Realmworks. I guess I'll keep on keepin' on. It is pretty handy for maps and stuff.


I am entering my own world of Lerchanth, AND... entering some C&C stuff I want to use.

PLUS

I am entering other things I want to use from other realms or "non realm" specific stuff. AKA what I want to use I enter.

I have 4 C&C monster manuals, several "modules" and most of the Players hand book in it.



For monsters: By Type

Spells: Alphabetically

And I am not entering 5e, I am entering Castles & Crusades manuals.

For the Players Handbook: I am using the same structure as the manual.

Here is a pic of the Pins I have for Freeport.

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:54 am

dachda wrote:You can share what is not covered by a copyright. So if a user of RW makes his own module or campaign world, his work can be shared. But if I enter a bunch of copy righted material from a Player's Handbook or from The Codex of Aihrde I could not share it without permission of the Trolls.

A Content market is being setup so once the content for the hydromax x30 is released you'd be able to purchase content as you want.

I believe the same set of rules that govern how content is shared/purchased in a VTT like Fantasy Grounds apply with Realm Works.

anvil242 wrote:Can you share that stuff, or is that type of thing forbidden?


Entering stuff is straightforward however it takes time. When you are utilized to it... it isn't difficult. I've currently entered many modules And rule books plus my own, personal word information.... will take time is all. I've also entered 4 Monster Guides from the net.

Re: Realm Works, are you using it?

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:31 pm

I'm slowly entering my C&C stuff as well. Would certainly buy the stuff if the Trolls made a deal with Lone Wolf once the Content Market is up and running.

Did you create C&C specific categories for the C&C spells, races, classes etc..? I started doing that in a fashion similar to the categories Realm Works can create for 5e, and Pathfinder.


Claude wrote:Entering stuff is straightforward however it takes time. When you are utilized to it... it isn't difficult. I've currently entered many modules And rule books plus my own, personal word information.... will take time is all. I've also entered 4 Monster Guides from the net.
Post a reply