Aergraith's Gap Game

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Aergraith's Gap Game

Post by alcyone »

I propose a game which takes place on nights in which Nate cannot run the usual alternate-Sunday game. I'd like to include Demiurge on all games if possible, so am considering running it ONLY on those nights when our regularly scheduled game cannot be run, but if everyone agrees I can run it on the off Sunday as well. If we are running only on normal Nate nights then I hope my game never gets run at all, since I'd like to play that more :).

The purpose of this game is just to keep the group together, and to that end, provide a light, not-too-cerebral hack-and-slash. I propose to play through the C&C Goodman Games modules. If you have already played them, and don't mind playing them again, fine. Everyone in this group is a veteran player/DM so I think fun can be had no matter what.

My initial thoughts as to rules and character generation are found
here.. I keep everything fairly close to the book because it's easier for me to remember and refer to.

The game is initially open to anyone in Nate's Sunday Night Game, past or present, and to Jaybird. I may open it up more later once I know if people will show up and if they are liking it.

The game will take place at 7pm Central on Sunday or shortly thereafter if the normal game needs a bit to call a quorum.

Post your characters here, and email or message me via the forums if you have questions or concerns.

You've all played with me as a player; you can expect me to be as inattentive, foolish, and unknowledgeable as a DM. Particularly, I don't run as many games as e.g. Treebore, so I do not have every spell memorized, or will get confused about rules between all of the different "D&D"s I play. I try to keep things moving, but have been known to say "Just a second, I need to look this up" for several minutes on rare occasions. I tell you this up front, because I'd rather not frustrate you if you are the type who finds that sort of thing frustrating. Again, since you are all veterans, this probably won't be a problem, someone will know the answer and I'll go "Yep, OK."

The game will take place on Roll20 with Skype (voice only), and a link to the game will be sent to whomever posts a character here.

If someone is absent, they will leave the dungeon if possible and camp more or less safely nearby, and if not, will barricade themselves in a "safe" place. Which wise adventurers should do anyway. Men-at-arms, torch-bearers, pack-carriers, and some retainers should be readily available, without too much game time needed to replenish, if not entirely predictable in terms of quality.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Aergraith's Gap Game

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:I propose a game which takes place on nights in which Nate cannot run the usual alternate-Sunday game. I'd like to include Demiurge on all games if possible, so am considering running it ONLY on those nights when our regularly scheduled game cannot be run, but if everyone agrees I can run it on the off Sunday as well. If we are running only on normal Nate nights then I hope my game never gets run at all, since I'd like to play that more :).

The purpose of this game is just to keep the group together, and to that end, provide a light, not-too-cerebral hack-and-slash. I propose to play through the C&C Goodman Games modules. If you have already played them, and don't mind playing them again, fine. Everyone in this group is a veteran player/DM so I think fun can be had no matter what.

My initial thoughts as to rules and character generation are found
here.. I keep everything fairly close to the book because it's easier for me to remember and refer to.

The game is initially open to anyone in Nate's Sunday Night Game, past or present, and to Jaybird. I may open it up more later once I know if people will show up and if they are liking it.

The game will take place at 7pm Central on Sunday or shortly thereafter if the normal game needs a bit to call a quorum.

Post your characters here, and email or message me via the forums if you have questions or concerns.

You've all played with me as a player; you can expect me to be as inattentive, foolish, and unknowledgeable as a DM. Particularly, I don't run as many games as e.g. Treebore, so I do not have every spell memorized, or will get confused about rules between all of the different "D&D"s I play. I try to keep things moving, but have been known to say "Just a second, I need to look this up" for several minutes on rare occasions. I tell you this up front, because I'd rather not frustrate you if you are the type who finds that sort of thing frustrating. Again, since you are all veterans, this probably won't be a problem, someone will know the answer and I'll go "Yep, OK."

The game will take place on Roll20 with Skype (voice only), and a link to the game will be sent to whomever posts a character here.

If someone is absent, they will leave the dungeon if possible and camp more or less safely nearby, and if not, will barricade themselves in a "safe" place. Which wise adventurers should do anyway. Men-at-arms, torch-bearers, pack-carriers, and some retainers should be readily available, without too much game time needed to replenish, if not entirely predictable in terms of quality.

I thought you play in my games? I look up plenty of spells, etc... my memory isn't what it used to be, so even when I think I know the answer, I still look it up. Most of the time I am right, but I am wrong often enough that it makes it worthwhile to be sure. You'll do great!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

BoomerET
Hlobane Orc

Post by BoomerET »

Is it possible to import characters into Roll 20, either via xml or some other format?

I'm asking just out of curiosity how I might be able to incorporate this into my Hero Lab plugin.

BoomerET

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

BoomerET wrote:Is it possible to import characters into Roll 20, either via xml or some other format?

I'm asking just out of curiosity how I might be able to incorporate this into my Hero Lab plugin.

BoomerET

I just use copy/paste.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

BoomerET wrote:Is it possible to import characters into Roll 20, either via xml or some other format?

BoomerET
Roll20 has just announced in their spring update that they will be adding character sheets, but what form they will take hasn't been decided yet. Originally they weren't going to do them at all, but had a freeform text field, then they let you add abilities and attributes and macros, but as of today, there isn't really a regular thing you could call a character sheet in the way that Fantasy Grounds has them.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Sage of the Fabled East, Master of Illusion:

Fu Ling Yu

Name: Fu Ling Yu
Campaign: Aergraith Gap Game
Race: Human
Class: Illusionist-Cleric
Level 3-3 XP: 12,000
Alignment: Chaotic
Deity: Sun WuKong (The Monkey King)

Description: Fu Ling Yu appears to be an incredibly old and wizened man, about 5'4" in height. He wears a plain robe and soft

slippers. A beatific smile plays across his face. He claims to be 120 years old, and to have outlived 3 wives. He is wanted

for questioning in at least 3 Prefectures in the Far East.

Fu Ling Yu is a wandering sage, seeker of knowledge, and travelling entertainer. Some say he is on a quest for the secrets

of immortality for his master, the Monkey King. Others say his great age testifies to the fact he has already found such

secrets. Still others whisper that he is in fact the Monkey King himself, come to test us with mischief and mirth. Whatever

the truth, it is certain that Fu Ling Yu is much more than the spry old man that he appears to be.

Essentially. I am playing:

STR 10 +0
DEX 16 +2P
CON 13 +1
INT 18 +3P
WIS 16 +2P
CHA 13 +1

Languages: Common

HP 17
AC 14 10+2+2

Move 30

Save Bonus: All: +3

Weapons:

staff

Throwing Star?

Abilities

+2 saves illusion

Disguise(Cha)

Turn Undead(Wis)

Spells 4 4 2

Influence --
Ghost Sound-
Detect Illusion
Dancing Lights-

Change Self
Charm Person
Colour Spray--
Darkness
Hypnotism
Obscuring Mist
Read Magic
See invisibility
Silent Image--

Hypnotic Image
Invisibility-
Mirror Image-
Blindness

Cleric Spells 4 3 2

Detect Alignment
Detect Magic
Endure Elements
Detect Magic

Sanctuary
Shield of Faith
CLW?

Hold Person
Silence

Magic Items

Bracers of Armor +2

Cloak of Resistance +2

Stone of Good Luck

Equipment:

6 Torches
Flint & Steel
Belt
slippers
Robe
Leather Gloves
100 Rope
Water Skin
Crowbar
Fishing Gear
Winter blanket
Backpack
Bed Roll
Small Tent
2 Belt Pouches
2 Large Sacks
Pot
Hammer
Grappling Hook
10 Spikes
Soap
4 Pieces of Chalk
5 bags chalk powder
5 bags marbles
mirror
paper
pen and ink
thread
playing cards
stage magician paraphenalia
miniature bullseye lantern
4 flasks oil
tinder box
Iron rations

Treasure:

GP:

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Aergraith wrote:I propose a game which takes place on nights in which Nate cannot run the usual alternate-Sunday game. I'd like to include Demiurge on all games if possible, so am considering running it ONLY on those nights when our regularly scheduled game cannot be run
Sounds like we may need a gap game for our gap game ;)

Aergraith wrote:The game is initially open to anyone in Nate's Sunday Night Game, past or present, and to Jaybird. I may open it up more later once I know if people will show up and if they are liking it.
I like that rule. I think more rules should be written like that. E.g. "this spell has no effect on constructs, the undead, or Jaybird" or "the party will be unable to open the magical portal unless they have the golden orb, or a Jaybird"

Aergraith wrote:You've all played with me as a player; you can expect me to be as inattentive, foolish, and unknowledgeable as a DM. Particularly, I don't run as many games as e.g. Treebore, so I do not have every spell memorized, or will get confused about rules between all of the different "D&D"s I play.
I make no claims that any of my rule interpretations are correct but I am reasonably confident I read them in some damned ruleset or houserules document at one time (or, that's how we did it when I was 13). As the number of OSR clones expand towards infinity, this is more true.
Aergraith wrote: If someone is absent, they will leave the dungeon if possible and camp more or less safely nearby, and if not, will barricade themselves in a "safe" place. Which wise adventurers should do anyway. Men-at-arms, torch-bearers, pack-carriers, and some retainers should be readily available, without too much game time needed to replenish, if not entirely predictable in terms of quality.
I generally don't like playing other people and don't like other people playing me. but, you might want to allow it if the players are into it. The sitting out method can get a bit hairy for small groups when you are trying to balance encounters. a 4 person party with one tank is going to really notice those absences, and there will be absences (and subsequent TPKs :lol: )

As for my character, I assume my dragonborn Tiefling ninja-template anarcho-paladin is acceptable?

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Sounds groovy to me! I agree with Kurt on running other people's characters. It's like putting on dirty socks.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I may have to drop out of the Sunday group. I've been hit or miss as much as Nate and with the Summer coming, I'll be working most Sundays into the evening doing security since the hotel were I work has a free concert every Sunday afternoon.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

If you don't want to play with me, Chuck, just say so. :(

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

jaybird216 wrote:If you don't want to play with me, Chuck, just say so. :(
Jay, I love playing with you. wink, wink.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

If you don't have a character yet that's fine, but can I get a roll call? Plan stands if I have 3. If I have 1 or 2, it's one-on-modules or sandbox.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Also, if making a character sounds like work and you have a character from another game with roughly 12000 xp already and can convert it to standard rules, then you are welcome to use that. Also, any pre-gens you find in AD&D 1e tournament modules around 3-5th level are ok.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

I'm definitely in, and can play whatever. I'm usually a rogue, but can tank if that's what you need me to do. Also, I have a friend named Ben who was just saying he'd love to be part of a C&C game if I ever got one going (we discussed the system at GaryCon - it turns out that it's a favorite to both of us), but I don't know if he has any experience or desire to play online. I can rattle his cage if you'd like me to, especially if Rigon is going on hiatus.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Here's my ranger. The rolls were really all over the board, but why wouldn't I apply a -2 racial modifier to my natural 4 CHA? The 18 was natural, too (well, as natural as you get after dropping 2 dice). I can't remember the last time I've seen three sixes.

Name: Kirrack
Race: Half Orc
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Class: Ranger
Level: 4
XP: 12,000
BtH: +3
AC: 16
HP: 22

STR: 16 (+2)
DEX: 15 (+2)
CON: 8 (-1)
INT: 6 (-1)
WIS: 18 (+3)
CHA: 2 (-3)

Languages: Common, Orc

Class Abilities:
Combat Marauder (+1 hp/lvl damage vs humanoids and giants)
Conceal (DEX)
Delay/Neutralize Poison (WIS)
Move Silently (DEX)
Scale (DEX)
Traps (WIS)
Survival (WIS)
Track (WIS) (+2 racial bonus; + 2 vs humanoids and giant kin)

Race Bonuses:
60' Darkvision
Enhanced Smell
+1 AC when Unarmored
+2 Save vs Disease
+2 Tracking (Ranger ability)

Magic Items:
Clear Ioun Stone (no need for food or water)
Cloak of Resistance +2
Falchion +1

Armor & Weapons:
Expert Cuir Bouilli +1
Leather Coif
Composite Longbow
20 Arrows
Sap
Dirk
Medium Wooden Shield
Skinning/Gutting Knife

Clothing:
Heavy Leather Boots
Leather Belt w/ 2 Small Pouches
Thick Woolen Scarf (olive)
Rough Olive Tunic
Rough Brown Trousers
Thick Leather Gauntlets

Gear:
Leather Backpack
Bedroll
Quiver, Score
Armor & Weapon Oil
Whetstone
Small Crowbar
Flint & Steel
Hunting Horn
Iron Manacles & Key
Pearwood Pipe + 1lb Tobacco
Large Sack
50' Silk Rope
Fishing Kit
Wineskin

Bio:
Kirrack is as ugly as a Maury Povich paternity battle. The unwanted whelp of a lactose-intolerant milkmaid who found herself on the wrong end of an orcish panty raid, he spent his formative years being beaten, ridiculed, and wedgied. Young Kirrack worked endless hours on his grandfather's farm, slopping pigs, cleaning stables, and poking small animals with sticks. Things took a turn for the worse when his only friend, a rather well-endowed mule named Mr. Buckworth, kicked him square between the eyes - decreasing his already questionable looks and intellect. Worse still, he fell backwards into a lantern. Half of the farm was in cinders before the blaze was controlled, and not before it made this poor sot even MORE disfigured. Stop, drop, and roll can't fix fugly.

Rejected by his family and betrayed by Mr. Buckworth, he took off into the woods and learned to sustain himself. #foreveralone.

Despite his intellectual shortcomings, he discovered a knack for hunting and woodcraft and is adept at tracking anything, even THE MOST DANGEROUS PREY. He has learned to turn this ability into profit by hiring himself out to petty nobles who need him to hunt wild game or apprehend the occasional poacher.

Because of his extreme disfigurement, he wears a thick stinky scarf around his face when in public. He won't set foot within ten feet of the business end of a mule. Kick me once, shame on you ...

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

jaybird216 wrote:Place holder for a half-orc ranger. I figure that will be a nice change up on filler weeks, if I'm going for rogue in Nate's game.
I'll roll one up tomorrow. If last week was any indicator, it should be slow as heck at work.
Sounds good, I just about have the maps fixed up.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

jaybird216 wrote:Place holder for a half-orc ranger. I figure that will be a nice change up on filler weeks, if I'm going for rogue in Nate's game.

I'll roll one up tomorrow. If last week was any indicator, it should be slow as heck at work.
Excellent. Master Yu looks forward to watching a young pup protect these dusty old bones.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Can we get sheets posted in case Nate's game gets called?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

If no sheets are posted and we play, you are all playing pre-gen half-gnome/half-orcs, with understandably strained family relations.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Aergraith wrote:If no sheets are posted and we play, you are all playing pre-gen half-gnome/half-orcs, with understandably strained family relations.
I think the only one left is Demiurge, at least until Treebore and/or Rigon's schedule changes.

If we are short, you might want to bring out Master Yu's personal servant/ bodyguard against angry villagers and young ladies newly with child.

His name is Kato

Kato!

Demiurge
Red Cap

Post by Demiurge »

I'll have a character posted on Saturday.
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

You didn't even CONSIDER the half-gnome, half-orc, did you?

Demiurge
Red Cap

Post by Demiurge »

Aergraith wrote:You didn't even CONSIDER the half-gnome, half-orc, did you?
How do you know that isn't what I was going to roll up?
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Can everyone make the games on the 8th and 22nd 11th and 25th? Nwelte's game won't be happening those days.

Is your friend playing, Jay?

Still need a character from Demiurge.

Demiurge
Red Cap

Post by Demiurge »

Aergraith wrote:Can everyone make the games on the 11th and 25th? Nwelte's game won't be happening those days.

11th and 25th of June? Those are Wednesdays, not Sundays. Did we change nights?
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Oh, calendars are hard. I'll fix it. I meant Sundays.

Demiurge
Red Cap

Post by Demiurge »

Aergraith wrote:Can everyone make the games on the 8th and 22nd 11th and 25th? Nwelte's game won't be happening those days.

I'm in. I will try to get a character ready this weekend.
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Demiurge wrote:
Aergraith wrote:Can everyone make the games on the 8th and 22nd 11th and 25th? Nwelte's game won't be happening those days.

I'm in. I will try to get a character ready this weekend.
Is Mark looking to rejoin?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Oh yeah, Jay will be an honored attendee of NTRPGCON... Hmm. I am thinking maybe the 8th is out then?

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Aergraith wrote:Oh yeah, Jay will be an honored attendee of NTRPGCON... Hmm. I am thinking maybe the 8th is out then?
Or Jaybird could play our game through his google glasses while simultaneously sitting at the table playing Bunnies and Burrows at the Con and using his cell phone to post comments on the AD&D 1e initiative rules at Dragonsfoot. Message to the other gamers at the table: "Oh yeah, I'm pretty hard core"