View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:17 am



Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Darkness of the Heart-PbP-IC Game thread 
Author Message
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
Varnick Knows magical darkness well from his studies at Yggsburgh University's college of magic. Its principles and laws you know intimately, although you've not been able to cast such as of yet. you instinctively duck, and move as quickly as you can to the left side of the trail that you now can no longer see, hoping that you were not the focus of the spell. Adrenaline pumps as you hear loud inhuman snarling very close at hand, but you are unable to know the source for the pervading inky blackness. your mind recalls a spell prepared earlier for just this sort of encounter, but without a target, your dwoemer is as useful as a pelorian priest in a brothel.

You emerge from the darkness into the misty daylight and notice for the first time the sounds of combat around you. You are just in time to see the theist preist Rolin emerge struggling from the same inky blackness, fighting furiously with a hideous monstrosity that is not of this world. The incantation bursts from your lips almost without thinking, and the eldritch missiles shriek from your hand to bury themselves in the flesh of the horrid thing that is now savaging your compatriot. The spell seems to not affect the thing at all, beyond an anraged snarl, and the thing spares a withering glance your way, as if to signal that you are next in this dance of death. you grip your staff tightly as you weigh your options. you note that the beast's horn is broken, and there's an arrow protruding from its back as the priest opens his mouth and shouts...


Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:18 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
Ysberyl quickly seeks cover as the arrow is loosed. You can hear the insidious thrum as the foul shaft whizzes close by your head. You nock another arrow and search for a target of opportunity. From inside the globe of darkness you can hear bestial snarling, and gasps of pain. your gaze follows the trail to the orc that iniatially fired on you, and you see that the halfling has him occupied, so much the better. The dwarf appears to have things well in hand, but your eyes are immediately drawn to the edge of the globe of blackness, as you see Rolin emerge, fighting furiously with the evil outsider. You can see blood, human blood, staining the front of Rolin's armor as the cleric swings and deals a mighty blow. Your arrow is in flight quickly lodging deep in the back of the foul creature, but neither your arrow, the hefty shot from the mace, or the spell from the mage have made a telling impact on the fiend! unnerved, your second shot goes wide as Rolin cries out...


Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:39 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
Rolin backs up slowly, clutching his mace, as he ponders the possible source of the unending darkness that he finds himself in. Suddenly your world erupts in intese pain as you feel sharp talons rake deep into your flesh under the weaker points of your armor. The calm withdrawl turns into a frantic backwards dash as you swing wildly in the darkness with your mace, and experience the putrid smell of death and decay that seems to surround your still unseen foe.

You stagger back into the daylight, muttering a short prayer to St, Cuthbert, and you finally see the beast that assaults you, a nightmare of claws, fiendish countenance, and a red, viscous, slime-covered skin. another slash from the long sharp claws of your attacker finds your head, and rends scratches just under your eye. You swing, and the namesake of your diety is upheld as the mace crashes heavily into the creature's head breaking its horn. The blow which could have laid any man low seems to have little effect! you are dimly aware of help from missiles that come from your companions, but it's no use, you are losing blood and feel weaker. You swing again, more weakly, and fail to connect, luckily your opponent is just as wide with those evil talons! you need help! you open your mouth a yell as loudly as possible:

Aid!!! Aid!!! I Need Aid!!!


Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 98
Post 
Having finished off his two opponents, Kelvan takes his bearings. He notes the globe of darkness and tunes his ears to where the shout comes from. Setting his hammer, he charges, making sure to pick his feet up as he passes through the darkness (so as to lessen the chance of tripping over something).

He prepares to smash the fiend as soon as it comes into view.

(ooc: new rolls:

Requested Dex check: roll of 10

Attack: 7 +6 = 13

Attack: 3 +6 = 9

Save: 12

Save: 6)


Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:59 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10778
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post 
Ysberyl will quickly glance towards the woods, making sure no other creatures are sneaking up on the group.

He will then turn back and fire another arrow at the creature battling with Rolin.

[Attack roll - 13+3 = 16]

Edit:

[Init roll = 9]

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:01 pm
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
Praying to St. Cuthbert that this is a summoned horror I cast Protection from evil on myself and pray that I get a good answer to my prayer.

Edit: Init of 6

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:28 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 91
Post Varnick
"Oh bugger," Varnick says, eyes widend upon seeing his spell be resisted. Seeing that it appears to be damaged by melee he attacks the fiend with his staff in hopes that he can at least distract it enough for the cleric it's grappling to be able to get a good thump on it or perhaps his divine magic can affect it more effectively.

initiative 5,

to hit: 12 +1bthit=13

damage: 1d6 = 5 (no str bonus)
_________________
thank you,

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies


Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:40 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
The companions react quickly to their comrade's call for help, the cry for aid echoes through the wood, causing the fiend to leer evilly at Rolin.

"None can help you now, priest. You will join me in the abyss this day!"

The claws lash out as if to strike the mortal blow to the resolute cleric of St. Cuthbert. The wicked talons whistle wide of the mark, as the fiend amd Rolin together are bowled over by the mad and blind charge of the doughty dwarf Kelvan. the fiend scrambles quickly to his feet as the second fine shot from Ysberyl's bow finds its mark. A furious hiss escapes the creature's mouth as he surveys the companions, Rolin now amanating the hated glow of the Blessed protection of St. Cuthbert, and Varnick rushing forward brandishing his staff.

Ollidahn has had to edge to find a shot unobstructed by magical darkness or natural cover, but as the creature glares at the group with unearthly hatred, the bow of the Forest guardian speaks! the shaft takes the creature in the throat, and the thing finally falls, thrashing spasmodically on the forest floor. the brave halfling whirls and grabs another arrow from his quiver, but only is able to view the rapidly retreating form of the routed orc, as the humanoid flees through the trees.

The thing finally lays still, the globe of darkness expiring with the fiend. a long hissing breath is the creature's final sound on this earth.

As the adrenaline fades, your surroundings come back into focus, you hear that the sounds of struggle you were attempting to reach have faded, but further down the road, you hear cries of pain and agony.
_________________
The Horn of Gondor- Blow this horn in a moment of need, and allies will arrive in time to give you a proper burial. - DM of the Rings XXIV


Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:04 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 98
Post 
Kelvan starts rolling the bodies, looking for any loot and any clues that might point to the orcs' tribe.

He glances towards the noise down the road. "Didn't we just leave that party?"


Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:08 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 98
Post 
Quote:
Veritas wrote:
Kelvan picks himself up, dusts himself off and starts rolling the bodies, looking for any loot and any clues that might point to the orcs' tribe.

He glances towards the noise down the road. "Didn't we just leave that party?"



Edit: whoops.... clicked the wrong button, I guess.


Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:08 am
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
"It looks like that rude rider set up an ambush for us. Does anyone besides me need some healing?" Rolin asks, with pain adding a grating edge to his voice.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10778
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post 
Ysberyl still stands ready with bow and arrow whirling around to make sure the area is secure and safe. Taking a few deep breaths he turns and says to all, "Well done comrades. Evil forces are at work here. Does anyone need some help?"

The elf looks around to see if he can be of assistance anywhere. If not, he will begin to help search the bodies for any valuables or information. While doing so, he keeps his guard up - constantly looking up and around for anything . . .
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:06 am
Profile
Red Cap

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 358
Post 
Quote:
Treebore wrote:
"It looks like that rude rider set up an ambush for us. Does anyone besides me need some healing?" Rolin asks, with pain adding a grating edge to his voice.



"Nay, friend, nature protects its own this day". With that, Ollidahn pops a red berry into his mouth, and his fleshwound seems to close all on its own.
_________________
Basic Action Games http://www.bashrpg.com

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.


Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:54 am
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
Rolin looks around. If he see's no one worse off than he is he will heal himself.

[Heal check: 19+, to see how badly hurt anyone else is. CL :8, 2nd CL: 7, total=15 HP cured]

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:23 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
Dizzy with the pain of the foul creature's handiwork, Rolin mutters a low prayer to St. Cuthbert. The sensation of his god's healing grace, as always is mildly unsettling as the skin is closed, and the muscles reknit. It will leave a scar, but the God's healing powers have done their work.

Keeping an eye warily out for any further ambushers, you all set to work immediately inspecting the bodies of your fallen foes. The foul creature is obviously abyssal in origin, and the body decomposes with a hiss, leaving in the end, nothing but a flack scorch on the forest path where it fell.

The orcs were flesh and blood, though. the scimitars and daggers they were carrying seem to be of fairly low quality, but utilitarian. you were able also to retrieve one short bow, and a quiver of 13 orcish made and darkly fletched arrows. In a small pouch on one of the orcs you also found a few coins, four golden crowns, and eleven of silver. the orcs' armor and shields are painted a rusty red, and bear the markings of a skull with two rust colored eyes, not markings that any of you have known the local orc tribes to be using.

from down the trail, you have noticed that the fighting has stopped, and what were once several cries of agony have now dwindled to one faint, intermittant, and plaintive cry.
_________________
The Horn of Gondor- Blow this horn in a moment of need, and allies will arrive in time to give you a proper burial. - DM of the Rings XXIV


Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:32 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 91
Post To aid
"Perhap's we should see what's happend ahead?" Varnick suggests.
_________________
thank you,

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies


Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:26 pm
Profile
Red Cap

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 358
Post 
Olladahn begins moving towards the sound of that piteous wail, bow knocked, in case it is a trap of some sort.
_________________
Basic Action Games http://www.bashrpg.com

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.


Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:07 pm
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10778
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post 
Ysberyl follows along, bow and arrow at the ready.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:32 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 98
Post 
Kelvan stows the pouch of coins in his beltpouch and takes the orc bow and arrows (unless anyone else speaks up about wanting them). He'll also retrieve his own bow and arrow.

"Aye, let's go." he says, following towards the noise.


Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:33 pm
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
"Yes, let us go and see if we can render aid to anyone else." Rolin then follows as quickly as he can.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:21 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
You follow the trail south once again, with the sounds of agony ahead becoming less frequent. Your weapons are held just a bit tighter, and your eyes dart continuously to the woods on either side of the path, alert for further ambush. About ten minutes later, you stumble upon the scene of the carnage.

The first dead elf you see on the trail has been savaged, his once fair face gashed savagely, his chainmail armor stained red and black with blood, the shield bearing stag antlers on field of green lies discarded at his side, dented and covered in blood. He is only the first you see, as the forest trail had become a charnel house.

Bodies of five elves, numerous orcs and a few men in rust colored robes lay strewn around the landscape in a hideous array of death. near the middle of the grisly scene you see a blood smear that goes off the path into a small hollow of woods off to the right side of the road. The flies have begun to feast.
_________________
The Horn of Gondor- Blow this horn in a moment of need, and allies will arrive in time to give you a proper burial. - DM of the Rings XXIV


Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:21 am
Profile
Red Cap

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 358
Post 
Olladahn will begin following the blood trail into the woods, but checks it out first.

Tracking for the blood trail (unmodified d20 roll) to gain more details about the victim or his attacker

Roll 1: 14.

Check to notice what is in the woods (or for a save, skill check, etc that might be needed next)

Roll 2: 20.

Last roll just in case:

Roll 3: 19.
_________________
Basic Action Games http://www.bashrpg.com

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.


Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:35 am
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
Even though it looks to be a forgone conclusion I look to see if any of the elves are alive.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10778
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post 
Ysberyl looks at the grisly scene in horror and grimaces a bit. Quickly looking for anything usuable and finding nothing, he follows Olladahn and watches for any movement in the woods. He holds his bow and arrow firmly as he walks.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:51 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 98
Post 
"Hmph..." Kelvan was conflicted if what he was seeing was a good end or a bad one... but being a feast for flies didn't set well for him... well, except for the orcs.

He keeps his axe ready, watching out for the others while they check the tracks and the bodies for survivors.


Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:17 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.