View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm



Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Darkness of the Heart-PbP-IC Game thread 
Author Message
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post The Darkness of the Heart-PbP-IC Game thread
And little did the five strangers realize that misty autumn day, as they set out to the south for the free city of Yggsburgh, that they were about to set in motion a chain of events that could well lead to their imminent deaths...


Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:51 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
The first of Sun's ebb was cold, windy and misty. The road through the now brown and forboding Lake Woods stretches forth before you, its secrets shrouded in pervasive mist and shadow. Last night the fire was warm, last night the ale was flowing, and the company ebullient. This morning, the cold and the mist flowing off of Bigfish Lake serve as a stiff reminder of reality, and the danger of simple travel in these dangerous times.

Travelers have been reported missing more and more often recently. The regular patrols were first doubled, then tripled, but to no avail. The Wilderness, even in these gentle lands can hide many hidden dangers, and the manpower from the tiny fishing town of Garham, and the more substantial military of the free city of Yggsburgh were both unsufficient for the task, and the dissappearances continued unabated. It is for this reason that strangers such as yourselves have taken to travelling in groups for greater safety. Whispers of terrors known and unknown are passed forth in roadhouses, and common rooms until the effect on the local populace is palpable. The looks on the faces of the townsfolk as you departed are telling.

As you made your way from the small fishing hamlet towards the lake woods, you saw no one, save one curious encounter. A massive destrier, bearing a hooded and cloaked figure overtook you swiftly, and not breaking stride, or uttering any apologies, rode straight through your midst, as you scattered, and swiftly, and nervously removed weapons from scabbards. The mists swallowed him in the distance and soon the sounds of the lone figure's travels faded into nothing, leaving you in oppressive silence as you approach the eaves of the woods before you.


Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:03 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 91
Post brrr
"It's a bit chilly this morn isn't it?" Varnick half says half inquires of his travelling companions as they walk. "At least it should keep the mosquitos at bay."
_________________
thank you,

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies


Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:02 pm
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
"Yes, it is. Too bad it doesn't keep self-centered and rude people at bay as well." Rolin says with obvious annoyance. "Maybe the mists will conceal a branch that will give that rude rider a knock on the head."

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:09 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 98
Post 
Kelvan shoulders his warhammer again.

"We can only hope." he comments, glancing up at Rolin.

"This blasted fog'll get us trampled or worse, though." he grumbles, now turning his head about from time to time to watch down the path behind them.


Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:13 pm
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
"Hopefully the sun will burn off the fog before that happens." Rolin replies with a non-committal kind of tone to his voice.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:16 pm
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10778
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Ysberyl - elf rogue
Ysberyl Owlswing walks along with the others and only nods in agreement at some of the comments, but says nothing. His senses alert, he watches the surrounding area with interest, glad to be entering the woods.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:17 am
Profile
Red Cap

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 358
Post 
Olladahn Hawkmoon looks pensive, for a moment, and then says in his usual brogue,

"Methinks a man who travels so fast only does so for 2 reasons. Either he is trying to get somewhere, or he is trying to get away from someone. Perhaps the tale is told in the tracks?"

He leans over and examines the horsetracks, hopeing to glean some information about where the horse had been. Then, lowers his ear to the ground to see if trouble is following the rude stranger...

Roll 1: 16 +3 = 19 (prime)

Roll 2: 17 +3 = 20 (prime)
_________________
Basic Action Games http://www.bashrpg.com

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.


Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:57 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
As your diminutive disciple of nature bends to his task, you all note that it is perhaps too quiet. It dawns on you that you have not seen any living thing since you've departed from Garham this morning. The trees on the edge of the lake woods stand silent, disturbed only by the lessening wind.

The Lakeham road winds through the lake woods, at several lengths alongside the South Eel river, named for the plentiful (and delicious) eels to be found in its waters. Eight hours should see you through the forest if you travel without undue delay, and you can hopefully reach the Bouncing Jug, in the tiny thorp of Eelford just after dark this evening. Perhaps it's just the tavern tales echoing in your heads, combined with the cold misty morning, but the forest just itself seems sinister today.


Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:28 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 98
Post 
Kelvan rubs a finger under his nose.

"Well, I ain't goin' back without crackin' some evildoer's head open... so let's be off!" he says to the others, and takes point, leading the way into the forest.


Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:42 pm
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
"Um, Kelvan, I think Olladahn is best for leading us through the woods. He knows the difference between a tree and a troll. Why don't you back him up with your shortbow at the ready?" Rolin says in as neutral a tone as possible. "Follow him at about 20 feet, ready to help him out against anything that may jump him."

"I would also suggest that Varnick follows you at about 5 to 10 feet, then I will follow him at 5 to 10 feet, that way we can protect Varnick from anything coming from teh front or behind, and maybe intercept, or at least help with anything coming at us from our left and right flanks. Then Ysberyl, if you could take the rear and look for anyone following us or trying to catch up on us, I think we will be as ready as possible for any ambush."

"Agreed?" Rolin says, adding a questioning tone to his voice.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:02 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 91
Post agrees
Varnick nods in agreement and falls into formation.
_________________
thank you,

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies


Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:21 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 98
Post 
"It's easy to tell a tree from a troll... trolls give a yelp when you whack 'em!" Kelvan says in lame jest. Still, in reply he hangs his warhammer on his back and strings his shortbow.

"Be off with yah, then." he says to Olladahn. He doesn't appear angry or offended... simply impatient and a bit grumbly.


Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:32 pm
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
Rolin gives a big grin and takes his place in the marching order.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:34 pm
Profile
Red Cap

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 358
Post 
"Very well, I shall take the lead, then. Bye the bye, that rider must have been in an awful hurry, to be pushing that horse so hard, after it threw a shoe. I do not doubt we will see him again, likely after that poor beast collapses under his burden.

Also, another group passed this way earlier, about 7 travelers I'd say, likely elves, hin, or gnomes. They did not seem to be in any great hurry."

With that, Olladahn proceeds ahead of the troupe, with his bow in hand, strung, though not knocked-- he does not want travelers on the road coming the other way to think him a bandit!
_________________
Basic Action Games http://www.bashrpg.com

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.


Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:17 pm
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10778
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post 
Quote:
Treebore wrote:
Then Ysberyl, if you could take the rear and look for anyone following us or trying to catch up on us, I think we will be as ready as possible for any ambush."

"Agreed?" Rolin says, adding a questioning tone to his voice.



"Yes, will do, Rolin!", says the elven rogue, allowing the others to pass, so that he may bring up the rear. "Afterall, who better than a sneaky rogue to watch our back, eh?" sniggers Ysberyl to no one in particular.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:36 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 98
Post 
Kelvan lets the halfling get about 20' ahead of him, then follows along. He does keep an arrow nocked, although only loosely.


Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:52 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
Senses more alert, and with an unusual trepidation, you enter the Lake Woods. with relief you note that as the day progresses the mist has begun to burn off, filling the dark and barren forest with more light than you might have expected earlier this morning. The forest road winds steadily southward, meandering amongst copses of ash and oak, your heels rhythmically crunching the fallen leaves, the sound of which is all the more harsh, due to the otherwise all encompassing silence. As the sun climbs to near its zenith, the road begins to climb into the lower parts of the Lakepens hills, and you hear the sound of the rushing river off to your left, down in one of the many wooded ravines that you can see through the lifting gloom.

The chilling scream that breaks the silence is like nothing human, A five second long wail that speaks of rage, horror, and unearthly power fills your ears, and it's not that far away!!! You had just mounted a small hillock, and you can see nothing moving on the road or in the woods in your field of view, but all of your senses straining, you can hear now some muffled shouts, and the sounds of steel on steel somewhere on the road ahead.


Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:39 pm
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
"Lets move quickly! Someone may need our aid!", and with that Rolin moves quickly towards the noises, hopefully following the ranger and other lighter armored compatriots able to move faster.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:56 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 98
Post 
Kelvan follows the others as quickly as he can. He's ready with his shortbow, but also to toss it aside in favor of his warhammer when it becomes necessary.

Initiative is 4.

Attacks (+2 for shortbow (d6 damage), +6 for hammer (d8+4 damage))

Roll 1: 11

Roll 2: 13

Roll 3: 9

Saving throws (+3 vs arcane, +2 vs poison and fear)

Roll 1: 2

Roll 2: 2

Roll 3: 11


Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:37 pm
Profile
Red Cap

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 358
Post 
Ohlladahn moves forward, knocking an arrow and ready for danger.

Initiative roll:

Roll 1: 8.

Attack Rolls: 1d20+4 for bow

Roll 1: 22.

Roll 2: 17.

Roll 3: 10.

Saving Throws: unmodified d20 (since I don't know what stat any save would be paired to).

Roll 1: 15.

Roll 2: 17.

Roll 3: 16.

Combat: I plan on keeping a distance, using my bow, while melee fighters wade in. If I am attacked directly, I will draw my sword and defend myself. However, if there is a wolf there, instead of fighting I want to cast animal friendship on it, so it can become my faithful companion.
_________________
Basic Action Games http://www.bashrpg.com

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.


Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:34 pm
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10778
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Ysberyl - Elf rogue
At the loud scream, Ysberyl quickly reaches for his bow and notches an arrow. Continuing to watch their backs, the elf follows along with the others, ever alert.

He will scan the surrounding woods as they move forward to make sure no one attempts to hide or pass and then come back around to try any attacks from the rear.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:36 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 91
Post make haste
initiative:9 - only if there are multiple targets otherwise drop to after an archer in order.

Saving throws (unmodified): 13, 6, 11

magic missle:1d4+1 damage upon same target archer's are shooting to help take it down quickly or soften it up for the melee's.

Defend with staff.

"Yes, yes, we must make haste friends," Varnick agrees.
_________________
thank you,

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies


Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:31 am
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10778
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post 
Noticing a dark figure huddled behind a log just to the side of the trail, where Olladahn is, Ysberyl fires off an arrow at the figure. He then shouts a warning about being under attack and points to the horseman off in the distance behind the hillock.

[Attack roll on the short bow = 13 +3 = 16. If it's a hit then damage is - rolled a 4 on 1D6]

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:24 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
It's a trap!!

Ysberyl's arrow dissapears behind a large fallen log to the left side of the forest road, and a gutteral howl of rage and pain escapes the lips of the would-be ambusher. You have no time to think, because he was not alone!! looking around quickly you see the dark bestial forms of three orcs rise from hiding places at the trailside. one Orc raises a cruel looking horn bow and aims at Ysberyl. two of the bestial humanoid's compatriots raise their dark scimitars and charge toward Kelvan. Olidahn is aware that the figure behind the log has not emerged yet, but has not been slain by Ysberyl's quickly loosed shaft, if your scant knowledge of orcish profanity is any judge!

You also note with growing horror that you hear words in a harsh, and malevolent language being spoken quite nearby. A globe of darkness envelopes Varnick and Rolin, and another form shimmers into being in the forest near the rear of the party. A walking nightmare this is, a six foot tall wiry fiend covered in bloody putrescence with arms ending in long and razor sharp claws, and one long curved horn on the creatures head strides in their direction. The stench of decay, and death hanging heavily in the air.

At Ysberyl's shout the figure on horseback in the mist nearly 200 yards away spurs it's mount and rides away.


Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:15 pm
Profile
Mogrl

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 20660
Location: Arizona and St Louis
Post 
Initiative: 3

Rolin backs up, and hopefully exits the darkness soon.

_________________
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.


Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:41 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 91
Post ooc npc me
OOC-npc me, I don't know how to react to that darkness or what I can do and have a xmas dinner to be at tonight so I don't want to slow the action down for others,

thanks,

Rob
_________________
thank you,

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies


Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:45 pm
Profile
Cleric of Zagyg
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 10778
Location: Somewhere in Time
Post Ysberyl Owlswing
"Orcs!", shouts the elven rogue as he notches another arrow and runs a little closer to try and get in position for an advantage.

[Initiative = 4.

Save rolls (unmodified):

17

8

19]
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth


Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:50 pm
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
Olladahn leaps into action at Ysberyl's cry. Running swiftly to the top of the log you draw your bow and loose a quick shaft at the rising orc. the arrow takes the orc directly in the throat, and he is felled, his last curses gurgling into the forest loam. You hear the twang of a bowstring to your left, and look up to see the orcish archer reach for another darkly fletched arrow to let fly at his target. slightly off balance from standing on the log, your arrow finds only a grazing mark along the goblinoid's shoulder, but you have succeeded in drawing the Orc's Ire and attention, as he sends the cruel arrow in your direction. The filthy broadhead rips a bleeding line along your ribcage on your right side, staining your travel garments with blood.

It's just a scratch, but your aim has been spoiled, your next arrow flies wide of the mark. The Orc grins evilly as he strides slowly forward aiming at your head.

It is said that nature protects its own, and you realize the truth of this when you see the goblinoid trip on a raised root, falling to the ground as the shaft meant for you thuds uselessly into the turf several yards in front of you. From behind you hear a cry for help...


Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:24 am
Profile
Ungern

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am
Posts: 68
Post 
Kelvan only has time to drop his shortbow, and grab the warhammer from its trusty belt hook. Howling gutteral cries, the foul vermin of Gruumsh are apon you. Your battle senses serve you well, and ducking quickly prevents you from being decapitated by their slashing scimitars. Their charge is unimpeded, however, and with a crash and a grunt, you are bowled over backwards by the two brutes. You tuck and roll on to your feet and swing your mighty warhammer in an arc at one of the recovering orcs, your blow taking the beast in the side of the head, and killing it instantly.

The other brute snarls and wildly hacks at you with his scimitar, failing to find purchase, you calmly wait for your opening, and soon you have it, as the orc overextends, and finds oblivion at the head of your now blood spattered hammer. You look quickly around the battlefield, there is an immense globe of blackness at your back, and behind it, you can hear bestial snarling, and quite human gasps of pain. The halfling Ollidahn has acquitted himself well, and is drawing aim at a prone orc, when you hear a cry...


Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:40 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.