View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
What constitutes treasure. Bwah ha ha ha (DM maniacal laugh) 
Mist Elf

Post What constitutes treasure. Bwah ha ha ha (DM maniacal laugh)
So, the group of characters in my campaign are an LG dwarven cleric, a half orc fighter, a halfling rogue, and elven wizard. The mix of players is really interesting. My two daughters 15 (the rogue) and 17 (the wizard), and two very good friends I've know for 30+ years playing the cleric and fighter.

I'm running a greatly modified version of the old B module "the veiled society".... updated with a LOT more political intrigue and subplotting and the information from the 'kingdom of Karameikos' boxed set, as well as a lot of information from the 'Vaults of Pandius'.

Anyway, they are exploring the series of secret tunnels dug beneath several manor houses that connect the basements. Finding digging tools, piles of dirt, and maps of future construction in one basement, they elect to explore the upper level of the house, which is totally not detailed in the module. This is after basically mobbing and killing a lone figure that descended from the place above without so much as a word to his identity.

At this point, they are wondering who it is they have killed... also, not detailed in the original module.

So, on the fly, I name this guy Cenodosius Vescoon, and of course he is a member of the veiled society. This manor house is an old property no longer in use, and Cenodosius is the last surviving member of his clan, which use to be a clan of assassins.

Finding the place abandoned, the furniture covered in canvas, and layers of dust everywhere but the path from the entry door to the trap door to the basement, they explore the upper floor. In the master bedroom they find a canvas covered old portrait, over a fireplace. Looking behind that they discover a wall safe with a three key hole lock. The rogue is simply unable to breach it without the keys as all three keys must be inserted and then turned a specific direction in order to open it.

The rogue does, however remove two very deadly traps.

Using a silence spell, and the digging tools from the basement, the group pounds the thing till it gives up its contents: a magical guillotine trap and... a smallish.... 1 foot x 6 inch x 8 inch locked onyx box. Nothing else is found in the safe.

Thinking this must be something of value they take it back to their room at the Inn to look at it at their leisure. Once again, the rogue takes her time and searches for traps, and picks the lock. Opening it, they find what looks like a very well preserved creature.... whose 8 legs suddenly UNFOLD and they are horrified to learn that within the box was a mummfied giant tarantula! A horrifying melee ensues, and the little beastie escapes out the window, scurries down the side of the wall and out into the city to parts unknown!

It seems that this creature was a means of assassination for the clan in ages past. The little thing creeping into a target's residence, administering a deadly bite so that the subject died from mummy rot a few days later. lol.

Some treasures are best left undisturbed, it would seem.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:12 pm
Battle Stag

Post Re: What constitutes treasure. Bwah ha ha ha (DM maniacal la
Um, YES! A very awesome story to include in any campaign. Totally awesome. Consider that little plot point *stolen* Thank you. ;)

~O

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Mist Elf

Omote wrote:
Um, YES! A very awesome story to include in any campaign. Totally awesome. Consider that little plot point *stolen* Thank you. ;)

~O

I feel honored. You're welcome!

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 am
Greater Lore Drake

me too!
Very very cool!!!

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:32 am
Greater Lore Drake

When is a great big pile of gold and gems not treasure? When its really a Gold Piece Golem. What better way to protect your stash of gold than to have it animate into a blob of loose gold coins to protect itself. How do you kill it? Break it? Its just a loose assembly of gold coins and "two eyes made out of gems".. sung to the tune of Frosty the Snowman (aka Goldie the Golem now)... watch for this "animated" treasure in a Crusader coming your way soon..

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:20 am
Mist Elf

Here is my write up of the spider for those who are interested:

Mummified Spider (Tarantula)

NO. ENCOUNTERED: Typically 1
SIZE: S
HD: 4 (d12)
MOVE: 40 ft.
AC: 20
ATTACKS: Bite (1d4) + poison, see below
SPECIAL: Mummy Rot Poison,
Darkvision 60 ft., Fire
Vulnerability, Subject to Raising
SAVES: P
INT: Low
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Evil
TYPE: Undead
TREASURE: none
XP: 40 + 30

Using a process very similar to traditional mummification, a mummified spider (usually a tarantula due to its ability to survive the ritual process) is transformed into a horrific undead creature. The spider is very agile and quick and their tough hide resists damage. The secrets to creating such a creature are difficult to come by, and kept by a very secretive clan of assassins. In addition to the mummification process, the ritual also imbues a special ring with the power to control the creature. Each ring is specific to each spider, and special command word must be known in order to use it.

Mummified spiders can actually follow some rather complex commands, and are mainly used for assassination. If given no instructions, the creature will instinctively begin seeking out it's ring holder.

Combat: Mummified spiders typically try to attack using their fangs so that they can administer their deadly mummy rot poison, and then immediately flee back to the ring holder for further instructions.

Mummy Rot Poison: Unlike typical mummy rot, the spider's venom is also injected directly into the victim's bloodstream, the two working together to make a horrifically virulent toxin that attacks soft tissues and organs, rotting a victim from the inside in 1 to 3 days. A save versus constitution check is allowed upon the initial bite, but if it fails the victim will perish. The venom acts very quickly, and a victim will be in great pain within 2 to 7 hours. After that, their flesh will pale, and the pain will cripple them in agony. This special toxin is a byproduct of the disease itself making remove poison useless, thus only a remove disease cast by a good cleric of the sixth level or above can remove the affliction.

Subject to Raising: A raise dead spell cast upon the spider kills it immediately.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:33 am
Ungern

Interesting. You should include the mayhem resulting from their loosing this thing upon the city, especially if they do nothing about it.

It's only a matter of time before magical inquiry is brought to bear on the cause of mysterious deaths, and the PC's tangential involvement.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:51 am
Greater Lore Drake

Excellent thread necromancy. I can't believe I missed this wonderful monster when it was first posted. It's almost certainly going to make an appearance in my game tonight.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]