View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Orcus Unbound 
Battle Stag

Post Orcus Unbound
One of my buddies (commanderFuron on these boards) just started running a small series of adventures tonight he wrote called Orcus Unbound. I'd let him post the adventure recap, but he does't post on message boards that much. Anyways, this is epic stuff.

The players are all playing characters of 24th level. We are the paragons of our classes and races, and world renown heroes. In a previous campaign (Rappan Athuk Reloaded) the players sealed the great fiend Orcus away from the world for 666 years. In commanderFuron's new adventure, Orcus is attempting to come back into the world by corrupting an angel and using the angel's offspring as a vessal to materialize. It's crazy stuff, that requires hidden cabal's of Orcus devotees, the desecration of a great temple to the god of music (Oghma) and much death and destruction to the helpless people of the region (near Bard's Gate).

So in this session (which I arrived late too... damn job!), we vanquished some Orcus cultists, and faced the dreaded mogrl (see Monsters & Treasures of Aihrde for details of this demon bad-ass)!

Though the there were no 24th level character deaths to the mogrl, he whooped our butts. I'm playing a 24th level bard, The mogrl stuns me (I can't do anything) and uses his demonic howl to hit me for like 26 points of damage which disjuncts 6 of my magical items! Son-of-a...!

The best thing about this fight, I think it only took about 45 minutes of game time. If this were a certain other game with five 24th level PCs Orcus cultists and a mogrl, this fight would have lasted 4 hours!

Great adventure. Thanks commanderFuron (not that you'll read this ;) ). Great game (C&C).

~O

Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Clang lives!

Post Re: Orcus Unbound
Sounds like a wicked good time. were you using the expanded class abilities? How do they play?

R-

My Game Threads

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:53 pm
Battle Stag

Sure. We are indeed using all of the expanded class abilities as set forth in the CKG. As compared to base, Players Handbook C&C there is a lot to keep track of. Lots of modifiers are being thrown around, and some very powerful class abilites that have a dramatic effect on the game. But, it's still a much more wonderful experience than other systems have for playing such epic characters.

The gameplay itself is very wicked. The CK has decided that with such high-level PCs, and doing world-shaking events that evolve the heavens and hells themselves, the setting has to be dramatic as can be. This adventure has reminded me kind of like a Diablo-type game; masses of enemies and terrible hell-bent creatures of slaughter.

It's a hell of a game.

~O

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Clang lives!

Coolness.

R-

My Game Threads

Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Beer Giant Jarl

Omote wrote:
The best thing about this fight, I think it only took about 45 minutes of game time. If this were a certain other game with five 24th level PCs Orcus cultists and a mogrl, this fight would have lasted 4 hours!
~O

Color me jealous, my friend.

The Dungeoneering Dad

Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Battle Stag

Haaaay, Frosty! Coming from you, that is too much of a compliment.

~O

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Ulthal

I'm impressed that you guys are playing 24th level characters!!! :shock:

But I'm not surprised at the ease with which C&C handles the combat! C&C is great for those sorts of things.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:47 pm
Battle Stag

The gentleman that is running the Orcus Unbound adventure is a big fan of high level play, and get's discouraged that there are not more epic modules. In fact, he is playtesting this for a run at GenCon.

I think we are going to continue the adventure in the next few weekends. I'll be sure to post more at that time.

~O

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Ungern

I would like to get 2 more goes at it before the GenCon. The first session went well, I think, and I am working on incorporating feedback from the session into the module.

Tue May 17, 2011 12:25 am
Greater Lore Drake

W00t! Thumbs up, chums! I wouldn't mind getting in on this at the GC.

Tue May 17, 2011 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]