Thematics of Aihrde and Inzae

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Thematics of Aihrde and Inzae

Post by cleaverthepit »

Although we do not have the time this morning, Steve and myself will be using this thread to explain the thematics of gameplay in Aihrde and Inzae.

Key to understanding the differences in what might appear to be another fantasy campaign setting is the Language of Destruction and Language of Creation. These are the two languages from which existance comes. Words are power and sounds, properly spoken, create and destroy. The All Father knows/is the Language of Creation. Inzaa knows/is the language of destruction. Each knows a bit of the other language but neither could master both.

Now, how does this play out. Characters in Aihrde are planting flags on the moon while in Inzae, they are polishing brass on the Titantic.

I will explore these themes and how to play them in future posts.

Davis

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

So I though I would give an example of how one might play out similar adventures in erde and Inzae as a manner of showing how the themes effect a game in a general manner.

Take the Treklant series as an example. The plot is simple. Resuce a princess from the clutches of goblins and return her to safety. In Inzae this is possible but NOT without leaveing a wake of destruction afterword that follows and even catches up with the characters (battle at felsentheim). The thing is, all good deeds go punished! In Airhde, though the same things could have happened, there would have been room for a clear cut ending once the princess is rescued - even as early as at Dzeebagd. The follow on events would not necessarily have happened. In Inzae there is a necessary reprucussion. Usually this reprucussion outweighs, in scale, the deed it follows.

Another aspect the players have noted is that Inzae is more about survival rather than overcoming.

Davis

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Inzae is definately a world that is filled with struggle. Aihrde is far closer to the typical fantasy setting. If you must have a comparison Inzae is closer to the world of Wagner's Kane...lots of misery, death and struggle and nothing to show for it. It takes a certain amount of moxie to play in Inzae as it is truly an unforgiving place...in game mechanic terms I mean, not just themetic elements, simply saying the word Inzae causes the Mother Dragon Inzaa to grumble and can cause earthquakes...

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Quote:
Inzae is definately a world that is filled with struggle. Aihrde is far closer to the typical fantasy setting. If you must have a comparison Inzae is closer to the world of Wagner's Kane...lots of misery, death and struggle and nothing to show for it. It takes a certain amount of moxie to play in Inzae as it is truly an unforgiving place...in game mechanic terms I mean, not just themetic elements, simply saying the word Inzae causes the Mother Dragon Inzaa to grumble and can cause earthquakes...

I think California is a good modern day example of Inzae. Mudslides, wildfires, earthquakes, and a muscle headed barbarian as the leader.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

Or by comparison:

Aihrde = Greyhawk

Inzae = Warhammer's Old World

In one world, you rescue the Princess and the land rejoices at your heroic efforts. In the other, the Princess turns on you, cuts you up into little pieces, and feeds you to her chaos-mutated offspring.
Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

Are the physical maps of Aihrde and Inzae the same? or are these 2 totally different land masses?

cheers,

J.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Inzae is within Erde. At least that is how I interpreted what i read. Kind of like a hollow world thing going on.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

Ya, I got that they were one within the other. Was just wondering if the physical topology of both the 'worlds' were a mirror of one another - thus the whole juxtaposition between the way the princess acts in one vs. the other...

opps. used too many big words there...

Cheers,

J.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Hey! I've read Piers Anthony! As for identical topography I don't know. I would think they aren't since they were both made by different beings with different agenda's.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Man, some of Anthony's early stuff was great. I read A Spell of Chameleon while in high school...or middle school. Those were the days that I had first become introduced to Blondie as well. So I can't think of one without the other. Good times...good times...
As for the topo...whatever that words means...lol No the maps are not the same. I've not had a gander at the Inzae map in awhile, there is only one copy and I've spirited away from my brother's overly enthusiastic coffee cup and now its lost in the mountains of papers laying around here. From my memory Inzae main areas are located all around an inner sea.

As to the relation of the two worlds, Inzae is bowl shaped, curving all the from center to edge. Beyond the edge lies the void. Aihrde is/was flat. Imagine if you will a cup and saucer. Turn them over. The cup is now underneath the saucer, that is Inzae. Inzaa the dragon lies buried beneath the crust of Inzae, legends say that her backbone lies directly beneath the Bergrucken Mountains (north of Kayomar and Maine). When Unklar 'bent' the world he wrapped it around the world of Inzae binding it within Aihrde.

This is all in an esoteric sense as Inzae has its own cosmological plane scape, an infinite expanse all bound within the finite space of Aihrde.

There are some maps webpage....http://trolllord.com/files/cosmos.pdf

(these are unedited for the new version mind you)

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Dee

Post by Dee »

Quote:
From my memory Inzae main areas are located all around an inner sea.

So the interior map from Bergholt is what you're referring to?

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

Yes the map in Bergholt is a good rendering of Inzae.

Before there was ought, there was not. Inzae swam through (was) the Maelstrom while the All Father created. Inzae could not create per se but through her destructive powers caused matter to come into existance. The All Father created matter (sorta).

IN short, the All Father created worlds and things while Inzaa simply destroyed them. She was jealous and wanted to learn the language of creation so went to the All Father. He gave her some lessons. She took to them real well, but not rrrreeealy well. She knows the language only imperfectly. Hence all her creations are imperfect reflections of the All Fathers.

The all father creates a flat world, Inzae a bowl shaped world.

The two were bound by the rings of brass so that Inzaa could transport things over from Airhde to Inzae. They also traded things. Inzaa's first clutch of eggs for a tree (which promptly withered). She also brought over the first dwarves (the first dwarves in Inzae are also called Trottigen Giants and why the dwarves call Inzae Medelen meaning the Middle World - the world between Stone and Aihrde).

The wrapping of the world around Inzae really refers to the closing of the Rings of Brass and the virtual stoppage of movement between the two worlds.

Now mind you, seperate cosmologies were created over several decades while steve and I were wandering around doing our own thing. We had little reference to one anothers ideas. We were on our way to gen con several years back going over our mutual universe cosmologies when we realized how perfectly they meshed....

odd thing that.

Davis

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

So if I am following Davis right Inzae isn't technically inside Erde but a Paralell World? I really like that concept and it is one I am fleshing out in my own setting. Sadly for the people in my project both worlds are not a nice place to live.
I have to say as much as I like Erde, Inzae is taking over as the world I want to see first.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Bytor, Knight of Darkness

Post by Bytor, Knight of Darkness »

Inkpot wrote:
Or by comparison:

Aihrde = Greyhawk

Inzae = Warhammer's Old World

In one world, you rescue the Princess and the land rejoices at your heroic efforts. In the other, the Princess turns on you, cuts you up into little pieces, and feeds you to her chaos-mutated offspring.
Ink

Lord, I was thining more of Inzae = Call of Cthulhu