View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Quick folio question 
Lore Drake

Post Quick folio question
1. In the folio sections on Haltland and Holmgald I read about the Visigoth and Ostrogoth tribes. In terms of the "lines" of Humans, am I correct that these tribes would be of the Engale human line?

2. There is discussion of Morgeld and "many of those who adventured with him during the Age of Heroes." I understand the longevity around St. Luther and his son, but I was wondering why these humans (at least I am assuming they are) are also still around after 1000+ years. I think I'm missing something that may have been explained in the Codex.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: Quick folio question
Quote:
seskis281 wrote:
1. In the folio sections on Haltland and Holmgald I read about the Visigoth and Ostrogoth tribes. In terms of the "lines" of Humans, am I correct that these tribes would be of the Engale human line?

2. There is discussion of Morgeld and "many of those who adventured with him during the Age of Heroes." I understand the longevity around St. Luther and his son, but I was wondering why these humans (at least I am assuming they are) are also still around after 1000+ years. I think I'm missing something that may have been explained in the Codex.

Hallo!

1. Yes, you are correct. Both peoples migrated down from the coastal regions and settled upon the banks of the Inner Sea. They have lived there for many many long years, since the early days of the Second Aenochian Empire.

2. Many of those who joined Morgeld were men, elves and half elves (described as Half-demons, but Morgeld himself was the only known half demon in the lot). They were vomited up from the wars which raged across the lands.

These were not kindly, thoughtful, introspective elves either. They were embittered by the flight of their kin, the death, torture and eventual enslavement of many of those who remained and filled with rage and despair. Morgeld's flight was a natural place for them to end up. Many of the displaced humans with him were of very high nobility, others not so much.

These all set sail for the west, trying to flee the Winter and they joined Luther's daughter's (Mourilee Lothian) people in their flight. After a long perilous journey the fleet arrived upon the far tip of Ethrum. Mourilee's people settled upon the mainland, Morgeld's upon an island off the coast.

When they arrived upon the Isle of Bliss they found it stood upon the sea as it bordered the Wall of Worlds (before Unklar flattened it) they built a huge fortress there, called the Last Bastian. Morgeld styled himself the Prince of Nevermore and as the world went down beneath the sheets of ice and snow of the Fell Winter he and his folk plundered it for all it was worth, avoiding only the people of his half sister.

When the snows came they found themselves locked on the isle, now heaped with treasure unimagined. The last remnants of the Kayomar upon the coasts had built the towers of the Empire of the Sun there. Now Morgeld and his folk were utterly bound for these were the people of his father's rule and Morgeld would not make war on them. So they sat for centuries, mired in the filth of their evil and wallowing in the boredom of unrelenting winter. They turned to experimentations, worshiping ancient gods and drugs and eventually the whole colony became a house of repute where none could die but through violent means. Morgeld's Immortals they called themselves and over the years many died at each others hands so that when the Winter Dark Wars began and his father summoned him Morgeld could only muster a small army of 1200 or so. But they were Immortal and very powerful soldiery and they wreaked havoc on the eastern power. But in those wars many more died, so that now only scant hundreds remain with their master in his island home of Eloria.

(The Isle of Bliss was conquered by a Mogrl, sent by Unklar in the wanning years of the war. It lives there still, or so it i said, upon the edge of the Wall of the Worlds, guarding a treasure of unimagined wealth.)

Most of this is from the Codex by the by.

Hope that helps.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com

Steve Chenault, President & CEO of Chenault & Gray Publishing, Troll Lord Games

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:15 am
Lore Drake

As I've said on other posts elsewhere this is my first real intro to your world (I've been almost exclusively either Greyhawk or my own homebrew worlds with a one-campaign detour to Kalamar for many years) and I will probably alternate now with my group between Aihrde and my own Ilshara. Given the tastes of my players I suspect they'll like this world a lot (heck, setting it up for them can really be explained in a couple of sentences about "the world has been reborn after 1000 years of the Winter Dark").

Since Greyhawk almost no published setting has grabbed my attention. Kalamar did momentarily, but it was too overdone, too much (+ ridiculously unpronouncable nomenclature as has been discussed elsewhere). Aihrde has certainly captured my attention, and has me excited about a published setting again so I have to say congrats... I'll be honest and admit I didn't think it would, but it did.. so good job so far!

www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

seskis281 wrote:
Mucho thanks Steve!

As I've said on other posts elsewhere this is my first real intro to your world (I've been almost exclusively either Greyhawk or my own homebrew worlds with a one-campaign detour to Kalamar for many years) and I will probably alternate now with my group between Aihrde and my own Ilshara. Given the tastes of my players I suspect they'll like this world a lot (heck, setting it up for them can really be explained in a couple of sentences about "the world has been reborn after 1000 years of the Winter Dark").

Since Greyhawk almost no published setting has grabbed my attention. Kalamar did momentarily, but it was too overdone, too much (+ ridiculously unpronouncable nomenclature as has been discussed elsewhere). Aihrde has certainly captured my attention, and has me excited about a published setting again so I have to say congrats... I'll be honest and admit I didn't think it would, but it did.. so good job so far!

Thanks for that! We've worked hard to make it playable and the world reborn theme fit perfectly. As a long working GM I like to tinker with stuff and always felt frustrated at settings that were too stifled and 'complete.' Aihrde gives everyone plenty of breathing room and gives us plenty of room to work on ancient back ground material that can be as beneficial without being 'in the way' so to speak.

Thanks again and I'm glad your enjoying the setting.

Steve

ps I seem to remember looking over your setting last year, had you sent it to us?

troll@trolllord.com

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:03 am
Clang lives!

That's an awsome explaination for Morgeld and his Immortals. Thanks Steve.

R-

My Game Threads

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:08 am
Maukling

Troll Lord wrote:
ps I seem to remember looking over your setting last year, had you sent it to us?

Actually, I sent you a link. ^_~`

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

Troll Lord wrote:

Ya. When Mike (Sieg) arranged for it to be put up on Dragonfoot's site I sent you guys a copy to check and make sure it was ok to do so since I referenced that it was meant to be used with C&C. Didn't hear back on any red flags so I assumed I hadn't infinged on anything specific for a free offering.

Had hoped to offer a bunch more stuff with it (some modules etc.) but life got crazy for about a year (I have infinite more patience and understanding for the demands you guys face now getting material out).

I mentioned it elsewhere, but I realized it was a little naive on my part to do my 1st real writing attempt with a full setting - between Aihrde, Eastmark, and soon Wilderlands C&C full settings are pretty well covered, so I'm working on non-setting specific adventures and a mini-setting module called "Of Heroes and Legends" (I have preview maps on the my Ilshara site linked below my sig).

www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:49 am
Profile WWW
Mogrl

Just a note for future reference, how many settings have you seen with three rivers originating from one area?

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I can think of plenty of settings with one river running E/W or N/S, so that would be much easier to fit into existing campaigns. That have existing maps.

So when you make up adventures to be "easily added into any setting" the difficulty of the terrain being fit in needs to be considered.

There are many modules over the years that have had unique geography that didn't fit in well to any settings. Like the "Gauntlet and Sentinel", The Grey Citadel, and even the new Pathfinder were not easy to fit into existing campaign maps, I had to "recreate" the geography of a whole map hex, or three, to make the maps of these modules fit.

So having 3 rivers would probably cause me the same kind of problem. A minor irritation, really. However I have seen many posts complaining about far less cause to dislike a module.

I don't know how much you hang out on ENWorld or the WOTC boards, but those people are so rediculous they expect you to read their minds before you even write a module, and then know they will need it a year down the road.

Plus I am having the same consideration with a rather large adventure I have written. Its mainly desert, but its 600 miles square to make things work the way I wanted them to.

So it requires a large desert area, which I know GH and Faerun have, and most other campaign worlds do as well, like Kalamar. However it won't work well when the geography for the desert is done right. Meaning it is somewhere that a desert would not normally occur.

This is because the land used to be a rich and verdant land. It is now a dry, black sand, and relatively dead area, because the land was literally drained of its "life force".

Granted, if no one who understands how Geography affects weather and causes deserts looks at my adventure, I'm good to go. However gamers tend to be geeks who know a lot of eclectic things.

So I consider such things.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:58 am
Lore Drake

Thanks for the advice - yes, I think it's hard to do anything that's not already specific to an existing set of maps. Still, my hope is that this one is small enough (it's only 13x18 km - each hex is 1/2 a km) that the rivers here would be able to be easily treated as "off-map" tributaries. Heck, the Cradle of the World map in the folio doesn't show a river anywhere near Blacktooth Ridge, and the Hruessen is pretty definite in the A modules.

I think you're right about alot of the players who post over at enworld... but then I guess I'm not really aiming at them. The C&C/AD&Ders around here seem to be a very maleable lot when it comes to adjusting material, so my endeavours are really aimed at guys like us who already adapt just about everything anyway.
As I finish up on this stuff, I'm personally looking at how to fit it in Aihrde, and I'm inclined to niche it somewhere between Kayomar and Maine. Of course, (and I've only previewed maps not the material yet) the mini-setting refers to a peaceful time only broken by evil in the past century or so, so that alone needs adjustment to make it fit the Winter's Dark.

www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Mogrl

I need to hurry up and get the folio. The old Erde maps at least have a major river in Outremere, and I thought it was called the Hruessen. Then again I may have just ended up doing that due to how I shoe horned the "A" modules into the geography of the old maps.

As for your map your right, I can "make it fit" some where, its just I like to keep things to where i can use the modules close up maps. So if I have to rotate those maps 180 degrees to fit into a pre-mapped set of rivers, it irritates me. Because it obviously doesn't "look right" since north is pointing west, that kind of thing.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:50 pm
Greater Lore Drake

So I'm guessing there is confusion about where the Hrueson River and Blacktooth Ridge is.
The River you are talking about in New Aenochia (Outremere) is actually the Udunilay River, the River of Life.

I'll post in another thread about the Blacktooth Ridge.

Steve

troll@trolllord.com

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]